Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 898 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 942 reviews
on October 24, 2015
This is maybe the second review I've ever written after ordering countless items off of amazon but I felt compelled to warn people before they buy this. I always look at the ratings and most helpful reviews on products before I buy them. The top reviews, for the most part, summed it up as "People either think this controller is awesome or complete crap. The controller is somewhere in between those two extremes". After using the controller for a couple weeks I have come to the conclusion that the controller is easy to install and get working but is really cheap. I have attached photos where you can clearly see that the joystick has come off. It's hard to tell from the photo but the "B" button sticks if it pressed a certain way.

I would not buy this controller again but if you absolutely need one it somewhat gets the job done.
review image
11 comment| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2017
This was such a great investment. My wife and I both had N64 systems growing up with games like Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart. We've been able to get these games on our computer now, and we wanted to play them with the original controllers. This looks and feels almost exactly like the original Nintendo brand controllers. My wife was stuck in the hospital for almost 3 weeks when I ordered these, and we played so many games sitting in her hospital room on the computer. One of the best parts is that a computer will simply recognize this as a generic USB controller, and you can program the buttons however you like, allowing you to customize it for use with other games that maybe weren't originally for N64.

The only improvements that could be made might be to some of the button pushes. On one controller, the B button occasionally sticks a bit, but it's easy to pop back out with another press or a jiggle. I've been using both controllers for about 7 months now with no problems. In fact, we were just looking to order some NES or Super Nintendo controllers by RetroLink to play some other old games because they're so inexpensive and such good quality. If we choose to but them, we'll definitely be going with this brand.
on March 11, 2017
Great for emulator users this is just what you need to get an authentic N64 feel when playing your roms on pc. The joystick has the same movement and range as the original but feels to me to be a little sturdier. For all of my pc's all of them instantly recongnized it as a controller and in project64 you can easily map the controller in seconds. the controller is a little lighter than the original but by no means cheap feeling all of the plastic seems to be solidly held together and the buttons have a nice range of motion and are not too squishy.
on December 22, 2016
Despite the cheap feel, this thing would be just fine if it weren't for the massive dead zone when you move the stick bottom right. When you pull up the calibration tool in windows you can see it plain as day. You can more or less draw a circle until you hit the 3 o'clock position where it immediately bumps out toward the middle, then drops straight down to 6 o'clock.

Good luck playing smash brothers without being able to move the stick that direction. Some games it doesn't matter, some it matters very very much.
on July 6, 2015
For a $13 controller, this thing certainly delivers. Weight is a little light, but the general shape and feel is great. The joystick seems a little sensitive, but I don't entirely remember what the original 64 joystick felt like, so it might be the same as it always was.

If this thing was capable of rumble functionality, it would be perfect. As it stands, it still gets the job done.

One thing I will say, if you happen to be using the MotionJoy software (generally used for running a PS3 controller through your PC), that may interfere with this controller. I had to uninstall the MotionJoy drivers, after which, this controller ran fine with no additional programs needed.

Lastly, I got a four port USB hub and a cable extender along with this so that everyone could sit away from the TV. Multiplayer works great with a couple of these.
on March 13, 2017
If your sole motive is to play some low-mechanics, throwback N64 games on a PC emulator for primarily nostalgia, then this cheap controller will probably satisfy those desires. You should get this controller if you ONLY want the "feel" of the classic console's unique controller.

If you value performance instead (i.e. precision aiming joysticks) I would recommended just modifying your DS4 or Steam Controller to work as an N64 controller by making them use X-Input and then manually configuring the controls in your emulator settings.

If you don't own a good X-Input controller, I recommend the DS4. But as for this Retrolink N64 controller, it does the job for me when I want to play N64 games; the cheap joystick is no problem for me. However I can see why one would be discontent about it.

Personally, I value the "N64 feel" over having a precision joystick, and for about 10 bucks it's pretty much exactly what I expected. If I wanted precision gameplay I wouldn't be playing archaic games on emulators.
on June 28, 2017
I bought this controller exclusively for my N64 emulator. There was no issue in setting it up, and it worked perfectly with the emulator. The quality of this controller was not impressive. It's quite lightweight, as if there is nothing really inside of it. The buttons had a very different feel to them to what I remembered from the original Nintendo controller (granted it's been some time since I last held a N64 controller). The biggest issue with it was the analog stick. It was very cheap, knew it would not last longer then one month. I only used this controller 4-6 times, and twice the analog stick came off. Had to stick it back on. It's a plug and play controller, and it does work. I will give it credit for that. The quality reminds me of those $3 controllers you can find at most flea markets. My quest begins to find a better controller.
on March 25, 2017
I had been using an Xbox 360 controller for years on my N64 emulators. It was never quite the same; something was missing from the experience... The Controller! Simply holding it brings back the memories of my youth. It works with most emulators I've tried with very little trouble configuring it. The only thing that's missing is the rumble pack. It's got the empty accessory port in the back, which does nothing. Having a built in rumble would be nice.
on February 29, 2016
I got this as a setup for my emulator so i can play games such as The Legend of Zelda, and many other titles. This product has a terrible joystick. it only actuates ONLY when its pushed directly up, down, left, right. To make it even worse the joystick knob itself isn't even glued on. The buttons are normal i'd say, just as clicky as a normal 64 controller. I dont know if mine was just a bad controller from the assembly line or if all of them are like this but I'm disappointed to say the least. you'd be better off buying a N64 controller adapter and using an actual Nintendo Controller.
on February 18, 2017
I bought this controller to play N64 games but also to use as a second NES controller (it has a D-pad and similar B and A button set up). For N64 games, this controller does the job. The analogue stick feels just like the original N64 controller. The empty slot on the back is only for show and doesn't have a connection port, so you can't actually plug in an N64 rumble pack if you happen to have one lying about.

The buttons sound and feel clicky on this controller, however I can't remember if the original controller were this clicky as well. Now if you were hoping to use this controller for playing NES games (like myself), you will be disappointed. The D-pad is inaccurate in diagonal directions, and you will die plenty of times in games like Contra and Mega Man which require an accurate D-pad. Smashing the A and B buttons continuously will also become annoying and tiring because these buttons are clicky and not that sensitive.

The controller worked out of the box from Lakka Live USB for the PC (RetroArch linux distribution).