Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 33 reviews
VINE VOICEon April 15, 2017
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
This NIV Study Bible is a behemoth literally and figuratively -- it's a large volume (think keeping it at home, not something easily carried to/from church), and packed with commentary, maps, a detailed index, and more. I included a few pictures below so you can get a sense of the format, but each page of the scripture includes a significant bottom section of commentary (nearly verse by verse). In addition, the beginning of each book provides background/timelines/as well as there being listings of interest in the middle of some books (ie complete listings of Jesus' miracles & parables, timeline of events leading to the crucifixion, etc). At the end of the scripture section is a robust map section as well as a detailed index of scriptures by topic. The commentary writing itself I found to be a nice mix of understandable to the early learner of Christianity while also plenty detailed and thought-provoking for the 'experienced' Christian to learn from as well. Definitely recommended.
review image review image review image review image review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 27, 2017
Let me dive right in here and highlight my experience with this bible. . .

PROS:
+ Lots of study content and commentary.
Our small group is currently going through a study on Psalms and found the commentary information helpful in us deciphering some of the passages. Especially helpful is we didn't know what was messianic related scripture and what wasn't, but this helped call that out, which puts it into a different perspective.

+Nice tables, charts, and infographics.
I live infographics. I think they can be concise and draw one's attention to the right parts of what the graphic is trying to highlight. Plenty of infographics here. I really liked the comparison chart for the 4 beliefs of the end times.

+ A good amount of cross-referencing.
This is always good to help Scripture validate Scripture and there is plenty of cross-referencing throughout.

+ Several articles by Christian writers.
These articles were informative and theologically educational and/or challenging.

CONS:
-- My pages were not cut well. I had pages that were folded in to appear cut well, but leaves some pages with an extra inch past the rest of the bible.

-- I feel the paper is too thin. Granted the weight of this is lighter than my ESV Study Bible and noticeably shorter when stacked next to each other. But the slightest drop of moisture and the page basically disintegrated. Thus even though most of us have a cup of something hot to drink in the morning while reading our bible, if you get any of it on these pages there isn't much hope.

-- NIV 2011? Really?! Bummer.
I googled and found a few helpful articles related to that version vs. the 1984 NIV. Yes, the 2011 version does make some good improvements over 1984 version, but still has some of the same pitfalls with much of the gender-neutral translations from 2002 TNIV. The fact that many passages have masculine pronouns that possibly have messianic implications are potentially lost with this version, which is unfortunate this is Zondervan's version of choice.

I'm back to my older bibles because of this particular translation.

OVERALL:
A good book that mixes the Bible with commentary and infographics. But I found the quality of paper lacking, the lesser desired translation for NIV a poor choice, and miss-cut pages annoying to say the least.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on March 20, 2017
This is by far my best Study Bible. Really impressed on the whole Structure of the layout of this bible
on March 10, 2017
I like having several types of study Bibles- this has good practical notes.
on April 17, 2017
Love the illustrations & timelines.
on April 3, 2017
This is one of my favorite Bibles in my house - especially with the notes and 3D pictures.
on May 16, 2017
Great study Bible. Really great information to go deeper into your Bible study.
on May 5, 2017
Returned it because I preferred a leather cover. But love the info inside.
on April 30, 2017
Wel produced and with innovative features at an unbeatable price