Subtly hone rapid mental math skills while playing
Vibrant colors and backgrounds
Special Cubes: Number Bomb, Expanding Arrows, Color Star
Earn big bonuses for clearing the board of cubes
Flick Swap Spheres to destroy undesirable cubes
High-quality stereo soundtrack and effects
AWEsum!™ is an award-winning, fast-paced, action-packed puzzle game designed for casual game lovers of all ages. The object of the game is to guide and place a pair of falling number cubes onto other cubes below so that the single digits assigned to each cube, when added together, equal the game's predetermined "AWEsum".
Correctly paired cubes result in their disappearance, preventing the "cube wall" from reaching the top of the board and ending the game. Receive scoring bonuses by power-dropping cubes, matching cube colors, or making multiple AWEsum pairs at once.
The AWEsum changes periodically throughout the game - keeping you on your mathematical toes! Game speed progressively increases and "special" cubes with powerful cube-bursting features are introduced as periodic rewards to players who demonstrate proficiency.
Have *you* been AWEsum today?
* 2013 Honorable Mention, Best Brain and Puzzle Game * 2013 Honorable Mention, Best Casual Game * 2013 Honorable Mention, Most Addictive Game * 2011 Best Kids App * 2011 Best Elementary Student App * 2011 Best Educational Game * 2011 Best Kid Distraction App * Runner-up, 2011 Best Kids Game
Before I start with my actual review, I would just like to thank NOMAD Apps for creating such an amazing game that is not only fun, but doesn't use any unnecessary permissions or third party spy/bloatware.
AWEsum! is a really awesome (I had to do it, please forgive me) game, the object of which is to (vertically) line up numbered cubes and make them add up to create the game's current AWEsum!. These blocks fall two at a time and can either be rotated (by tapping the screen), or moved (by dragging them across the screen). They can also be forced into place faster by dragging them down (this also nets you a higher score).
Speaking of scoring, you are awarded bonus points for using blocks of a similar color to create the AWEsum!, and there are multiple power ups included to spice up the gameplay. Getting two AWEsum!'s in a row (from the same pair of falling blocks) earns you a "Swap", which can be used to change the numbers on falling blocks, giving you more chances to score.
The best part of this app is that there are no permissions, IAP, or bloatware included.
- Simple yet effective graphics and a great UI. Everything you need is right there on the screen, with nothing to distract you from gaming.
- Good sound effects, including the announcer.
- Creative power ups. Number Bomb that will destroy all the cubes that match the number it falls on (usually resulting in multiple AWEsum!'s if done right). Double Arrow that will destroy all cubes in a row (either vertically or horizontally). Colored Star that will destroy all cubes of a color it lands on.
- An EXTENSIVE help option. Everything you could ever want to know about the game is here.
- Great option menu that will allow you to adjust your starting block height (turning the game into an instant math puzzle) and level (to increase the speed at which the blocks fall), as well as a myriad of other choices that can impact the game (even the controls).
- Well programmed and runs on a wide variety of hardware without a problem or issue.
- NO IAP, PERMISSIONS, or SPY/BLOATWARE.
- No useless social media integration.
- Peppy music does get annoying after a while, thankfully it can be disabled in the option menu.
- The AWEsum! is only calculated vertically, not across (side by side). I would really like this implemented in the future so that we can line up massive board clearing combos.
- Questionable reviews - There are still five star ratings by users with one or two reviews under their belt. Sadly this is now becoming a staple on Amazon. However, in AWEsum!'s defense, I only found a few of them so I won't be marking them as 100% fake.
- Aks you to review it in order to unlock a new (and very powerful) power up block.
- Absolutely nothing, I couldn't find a single glaring issue with this app.
Score: The Game: 5 Permissions: 5 Combined Score: 5
Conclusion: AWEsum! is an amazing game and a superb FAOTD! It is also completely worth its $.99 price point. I can't recommend it enough. If you miss this as a free download, just go ahead any buy it. Apps like this are getting rarer on the Adnroid OS and NOMAD Apps (the developer) should be rewarded and encouraged for releasing such a great game.
NOMAD Apps, I can't wait to see your future software.
You can move the cubes from side to side by sliding your finger on the screen and if you tap the screen you shuffle the cubes in a clockwise manner. Try to get the cubes to land on top of each other so that they add up to the AWEsum number that the game is wanting for that level. If you are able to land blocks and simultaneously get the objective number twice with the same move you get a score multiplier and another swap token. The swipe token on the RH side of the screen changes the numbers on the cubes while they are falling.
You gain 10 points for matching the desired sum, 10 points for matching the color, one point for each row power-dropped, and bonuses multiple your scores based on the number of AWEsums you achieve. If you create five AWEsums in a row your get a number bomb that destroys all of the cubes of the same number it falls on. A double arrow cube destroys cubes horizontally and can even destroy an entire row.
You can flip the numbers down and have them fall faster to the bottom. The target AWEsum number changes periodically to a new number and right before it changes it beings to flash. The target number can only be achieved by adding cubes vertically and not horizontally. You can also achieve the sum by adding only two stacked cubes and not three.
What I like:
The instructions are very good. The game play is solid on my Kindle Fire and I had no issues. It is sort of like playing a Tetris game where the cubes are all the same size but the number on the cube is what matters and if you match the number and the cube color you double your points. Think fast!
It is a challenging game that keeps you concentrating on math, color and on the location that you want to place the cubes at. The game requires no permissions or default launches! Yeah! Its game size is only 8.07 MB uncompressed on my Kindle Fire. The sound and music were unobtrusive and they didn't get on my nerves like some sound tracks of games do. The graphics were OK.
What I don't like:
This is a short list, I find nothing wrong with this game.
I did try to triple up by stacking three cubes to achieve the number and also create the number side by side but it didn't work. This might be an option for future updates. At the present time the game only considers vertical pairs of numbers.
Overall this is a good game that delivers what it says it will. It is fun for all ages and I give it a 5 star rating. Congratulations to the developers for a good app with no permissions or IAPS!
Home screen: * Play * Options - adjust game height, level, adjust touch controls, show highlights, show instructions, adjust game's effects sound and music, use the announcer, set AWEsum change to Big or Small, and reset scores. * Help - show you how to tap on the screen to move the cubes, See my description of game play. * Scores - retains your last scores * Star - asks you to review the game and if you do you get a special power cube that destroys the cubes of a certain color to help clear the board faster. * Volume off/on button
With all of the garbage that Amazon puts out for the Free App Of The Day, it's so tempting not to check, isn't it? There's the in-app purchases, the data-mining, the questionable content, and then those apps that were part of a kindergarten project that somehow made it to the app store.
This app isn't ANYTHING like those. It's playable, fun, slightly addicting... ok, well, REALLY addicting, and it does exercise your brain. And it's great for all ages -- I enjoy the challenge as much as my 8-year-old son, and even my 6-year-old was curious about it.
Whether you own the shopping cart a/k/a Kindle Fire HD or spent $10 less on a proper tablet that comes with a charger and without forced ads, what's best about this app is that it requires NO PERMISSIONS AT ALL. This app doesn't want to connect to the internet, doesn't care what your phone number is, doesn't want to annoy your facebook friends with updates of your latest addiction, doesn't want to take pictures, nor broadcast anything unsavory or sticky. It's just a game. And a good one at that.
Enjoy it, folks. Had I purchased it and been offered it free the next day, I wouldn't have a single regret.