Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 42 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 48 reviews
on January 26, 2013
Dr. V.S. Ramachandran presents many cases of injuries which affect the human brain. For example: Phantom Limb Syndrome, Blind Sight, Injuries which can cause signals to go to our brain stem, which is our lizard brain (this seemed to be a problem with some former government officials who were known in the US as neocons), Visual Neglect, Oedipus Complex, Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, Grand Mal Seizures which could cause a person to think they see God. The finding that there may be a religious center in our brains, if true, could be a positive benefit for a society, but negative if we see the beliefs of others as a threat to us. For example, we see in the news on a regular basis the ongoing war between Israelis and Palestinians, whose gene pools are almost identical, but are separated by religion.
on March 23, 2006
First off, they have mixed information on two very different films. The release date, "storyline" information and "theatrical release" information are totally wrong. Hopefully, they will have corrected the actor/director information within several days--Stacy Keach has nothing to do with this particular film. The "Editorial Reviews" section is correct. This particular video was originally shown in 2001 on PBS and is sort of a brief synopsis, with video examples, of a book by V.S. Ramachandran and Sandra Blakeslee about some extremely interesting neuropsychological disorders. The book is called "Phantoms in the Brain" (available through Amazon where I have bought at least 2 copies--I keep giving them away to people) Before you say "Whoa, clearly not for me," stop. This is an utterly fascinating documentary where Dr. Ramachandran (neurologist and research Ph.D. at UCSD) illustrates some of the interesting ways that the brain and mind work viewed through the lens of these individual case studies. When I show the video to my classes, as I have for the last 5 years, it purely drops their jaws. This film is not only for those interested in psychology or neuroscience, but anyone who is curious about what goes on in human beings under the hood, so to speak. Further, as a speaker and presenter Dr. Ramachandran is both highly personable and accessible and who also doesn't condescend to either his audience or his patients. If you like science and are curious about the brain, you will like this. I only wish PBS and NOVA would issue a DVD version as well. I'm here because a friend wants to borrow my copy and I won't let it out of my hands without another copy.
on July 20, 2015
A good video that covers the major content of Ramachandran's books 'Phantoms of the Brain' and 'A Brief Tour Of Human Consciou5ness'. I really enjoyed this documentary and Ramachandran's first book, 'Phantoms...' This documentary was pretty chic in the late 1990s. The time has come for an update!
on June 16, 2017
Great teaching tool!
on September 1, 2013
The doctor in the film shows the way the sections of the brain are divided into different compartments. These sections, if impacted either psychologically or physically. can cause illusions that can either help or hinder an individual. This DVD helps understand why and how people see the world differently. It provides an understanding that will lead the viewer to embrace peoples' ideas instead of quickly judging them. Keeping an open mind is the key to understanding this film.
on March 14, 2017
excellent
on December 18, 2005
I am a psychology teacher and this video is great of school I think it's one of the best videos I show in my classes all day. I hope all my students go on-line and vote for this review and support it because they like the video so much. Also, the description of the video pretty much lays out what's in the video, so I just wanted to mention how interesting and compelling it is. Also, it's not a boring video for school, it's an interesting video and fun to watch. Enjoy.
on January 19, 2013
I played this in my undergraduate Physiological Psychology class. It brought to life many of the topics we were covering in class that week. The level of detail was good. The students found the video helpful for understanding topics such as blind sight. I was disappointed in the production value.
on January 23, 2017
ITEM WAS JUST AS DESCRIBED AND WAS RECEIVED WHEN EXPECTED. GREAT EXPERIENCE! THANK YOU :)
on April 5, 2008
I highly recommend this video. The brilliant Doctor clearly and simply explains some of the most perplexing neurological problems that have plagued mankind for decades and in the case of phantom pain,across centuries. The explanations offered are realistic and understandable by both the novice student and seasoned professional. This presentation should be mandatory viewing in all Introductory and Neuropsychology classes.