Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Prophets of Rage Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,344 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,408 reviews
on June 2, 2016
As someone who has been eating keto/low carb for more than a year now, I've had experience with pretty much every mainstream sweetener out there and when I need something granulated, erythritol is my go to. It's generally regarded as having zero net carb/caloric impact, which is more than more sugar alcohols can say. It also doesn't have the unfortunate bathroom-related side effects that sugar alcohols like malitol can have in large quantities. The taste of xylitol is the most similar to sugar as far as sweetness and flavor goes, but erythritol is a close second minus the slight glycemic effects of xylitol.

It also beats out granulated stevia and sucralose (Splenda), which can taste and measure like sugar depending on the formulation, but are almost always granulated using a filler like maltodextrin which adds to the carb count, especially when used in the amounts necessary for baking or similar. These things might not make a difference if you're just trying to lower your sugar or calorie intake, but for strict low carb dieters, every carb counts. Erythritol doesn't require any fillers to make it granular.

The one downside of erythritol is that it can have a cooling effect in large quantities. It's not an "after taste" so much as it is an "after feeling", similar to the slight cooling/tingling sensation you might get after eating something minty. I counter this in my low carb baked goods by combining erythritol with another sweetener like stevia or xylitol. Stevia and erythritol are a particularly complimentary combination because the erythritol cuts the slight bitterness of the stevia and the stevia cuts the cooling effect of the erythritol, resulting in a nice balance.

Of course, there are stevia/erythritol blends like Swerve that already come combined in this way, and I think that could be a good place to start for those who are new to working with sugar alternatives. I personally find it more cost effective to buy larger bags of the individual sweeteners and combine as needed, which also gives me the freedom to use different ratios depending on the recipe.

The NOW Foods brand makes great products, and they are generally among the most cost competitive for buying sweeteners. I usually buy the 2.5 lb bag and it lasts me a couple months as a relatively heavy low carb baker, so I think it's a pretty good value. I'm really happy with their erythritol, and plan to keep buying it.
44 comments| 362 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2016
In my opinion Erythritol is the best of the Zero Glycemic Index Sweeteners and I really like the Now Foods brand.. I couldn’t take all the bloating and gas I got from most of the cakes, cookies and ice creams sold commercially with the artificial sweeteners they were adding.. They’re full of Xylitol, Sorbitol, etc, that work on the gastrointestinal tract. Sure they don’t have calories, but you pay for it in other ways. That tradeoff, isn’t good for your health. I only use two sweeteners now for everything and that’s pure Stevia & Erythritol. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, but I find with my diabetes they work the best for keeping me Healthy and my A1C’s in check

Erythritol does cloud, when you first mix into opaque liquids, but clears up quickly.

For most of my baking I mix Erythritol with Stevia. You have to kind of experiment, to find the blend you like. I think they actually sell a blend of that, but I’m sure it’s much cheaper to make your own and you can adjust it to how you like. I can’t tell you how to mix it, because there are different forms of Stevia (in much different strengths).

Most people who have used Erythritol are familiar with the mint-like cooling effect on the tongue sometimes experienced. By mixing the Stevia & Erythritol for Drinks & Baking, I haven’t had that problem. I might add that I have Celiac disease, so all my baking is Gluten Free. It’s works great for gluten free cooking, so I can only imagine it would work OK for regular wheat flour too. I use Almond Flour, Rice Flours, Sunflower Seed Four, Garbanzo Bean Flour Etc. I use a bunch of different flours and the Now Foods Erythritol/Stevia blend I mix has suited me well.
11 comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2016
I am a type 2 diabetic. To safely be able to enjoy a desert once in a while is wonderful. My husband and I have a college Bible Study once a week. I have made treats , birthday cakes, brownies, cookies, all my regular receipes with erythritol instead of white sugar and no one could tell the difference. My numbers don't go up, I've lost down to my young weight , I wear a size 6-8 and I'm 75. We are all thrilled with Erythritol!!!!! I want to try the brown one and powdered one next. Thank you.
review image
33 comments| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 20, 2017
This is perfect for baking!!! I love it so much! We started Keto diet on Aug 1st, I started looking for all kinds of substitutes for what we use to use regularly! I read an article of introducing substitutes of sugar and diecide to try this over stevia! It worked out amazingly! My husband loves what I made with this! We even made Keto chocolate with this! Love love love!
on July 23, 2017
Great tasting! I know there is another very highly recommended brand, but I have had good luck with Now brands, so I tried this one first. The price is great as is the taste! I can get a lot more for my money and I've never had any problems with this brand for any supplements like I have with some others.
on November 20, 2014
If you've been searching for a sweetening alternative and you can't stand the stuff that leaves a taste in your mouth, then this is for you. I had looked and looked and we'd tried it all. Erythritol an Xylitol are both excellent alternatives with no weird aftertaste. We can't even do stevia due to the aftertaste. You can also cook with both of these, but they are a little expensive for putting into cooking. So we just use anywhere we would normally put sugar on something. Fresh pineapple when it has to got into the fridge, cereals, drinks, like that.
on September 9, 2016
Product is great.
Shipping is not so great. There was a hole in the bag and crystals leaked out all over the box. It didn't appear that the product was bad, though, so I am keeping it. Tastes fine. I'm not dead yet.
on July 22, 2016
Purchased multiple times and for me this is the best sugar alternative so far. It has a bit of a minty taste but neither me or my husband mind it. I used it for baking mostly but would work as a beverage sweetener as well. It doesn't seem to have any aftertaste (unlike stevia) and doesn't seem to be causing any GI problems. Would recommend and will purchase again.
on February 21, 2016
I love, love, love this stuff. I have ordered it more than once, and I will continue to order it as long as Amazon carries it. There is really nothing you can't do with erythritol in place of regular sugar. It's granulated and has a satisfying weight and texture to it. There is no weird chemical taste or aftertaste at all for me. I use it in beverages, hot and cold, and in some recipes for keto desserts.
on May 21, 2016
The first two times I used this I experienced some stomach upset and then it went away. Now I love it! I even sneak it in my husband's coffee sometimes and he doesn't notice. If I try that with anything else he always notices because of the aftertaste. This has no aftertaste at all. The closest to sugar of anything. If it upsets your tummy give it a few more tries. I had to get used to it.