Customer Reviews: NOW Foods Peppermint Oil, 1 Oz.
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Presto! Laundry Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon

Size: 1 Ounce|Change

on April 12, 2011
Living in New York City is a dream, but along with that dreams come a few harsh realities. Rodents are one of those realities. Almost all of us here have battled, or are currently engaged in combat with, a thriving rodent population trying to gnaw their way into our homes and businesses.

Being a transplant, and having not grown up dealing with rodents in my Maryland suburban house, I was a man unaccustomed to dealing with them. It doesn't help that I've always had a healthy phobia of rodents, though admittedly years, and experience, have done much to dull that fear. So there is nothing at all normal, or natural, to me about sharing my space with a four legged population that wants to squat in my overpriced abode, without offering nary a cent to offset rent!

I've dealt with "seasonal" mice for the last four years I've been in this apartment, a first floor unit in a Brooklyn brownstone. I only saw them the summer, and occasionally during the winter time after a bad snow. Though you never have just one mouse in your house, hitherto I'd only seen one mouse at a time, and frankly the lack of diversity made it easy to delude one's self that you were indeed dealing with just one mouse.

However this past winter, plagued with back to back winter storms, the flood gates were cracked wide open. Not only did we have our usual "one mouse", my wife and I started to see variety in their appearances. Further more, to our disgust and horror, we saw our very first bonafide rat in the apartment. That was a true "oh hell no" moment for me, I refuse to live under these conditions, or subject my wife to them, and I set out to find a swift solution. After much research, and keeping at least the mice in control with a great d-CON 00027 Ultra Set Covered Mouse Trap, I found out about the wonders of peppermint oil.

Rodents can not abide 100% peppermint oil (that's oil, not extract, and it must be 100%). Since they primarily guide themselves olfactorily, the oil is almost poison for them, and I've read it literally burns their nostrils. I bought oil right here on Amazon, and promptly got to work. It is a very potent oil, and so a couple drops on well placed cotton balls are all you really need. Set them in key entry places, or known high traffic areas for the critters, around your home and it's the perfect repellant. For additional coverage, which we needed, mix about a tablespoon of oil for every 1 to 1.5 cups of water, and spray where necessary. Smells great, and works like a dream. Since laying it down I've not seen a single rodent, despite our kitchen not being nearly as clean as it should be, and none of the traps have gone off. It had gotten so bad that we could hear those awful high pitched squeals nightly, often in what sounded like blood-combat; I later learned that mice and rats don't share space well, and the larger rodents are likely to attack the smaller ones. However now, thank God, save once when we heard something trying to come up from the basement unit, only to promptly turn right back around, nothing.

Bottom line. It works. Do not waste any more time, energy, and emotion worrying about your mice and rats, terrified to even go into your own kitchens, bedrooms, and bathrooms. Take control of the situation, and do it in a way that is safe, clean, and has the added benefit of making your house smell like Christmas year round.

UPDATE: In the four months or so since we started applying the peppermint oil, we have trapped only two mice. And those mice arrived only because we got so use to not dealing with any rodents that we forgot to refresh the oil. Once the oil was refreshed, we've not seen or trapped one since.
6767 comments| 1,498 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2006
This is the greatest product to control mice. Just a dab on a cotton ball, pitch it in the back of your cabinets and under the sink. Replace with new balls about once a month. I don't know where they go, but they are not messing with my house anymore.
88 comments| 473 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2010
I moved into a one-bedroom apartment in July, 2009. I was finally on my own and I was excited. But by the end of September, I started seeing mice in my kitchen. I was p*ssed. I cried for days and even called my sister to ask for help in finding a storage as I was getting ready to pack my bags and move in with my mother. I am absolutely terrified of mice, and the thought of them running across my feet scares the crap out of me. In the meantime, I started researching the best way to get rid of mice and someone on a forum mentioned peppermint oil, so I went on Amazon and decided to buy a bottle after reading so many positive reviews.

I started using it in my apartment late October by soaking cotton balls and placing them all over the apartment, but that did not seem to work well. I saw a mouse in the apartment, so I decided to go rogue and tried out different methods which seemed to have worked quite well.

- I fill an empty "Windex" bottle with several drops of the oil and mix it with water. I spray it in every corner of my home, especially in the kitchen and bathroom.

- I fill an old pot with water and add a few drops of the oil and let it boil for at least 30 minutes. At first the oil would irritate my eyes, but after a few days I got use to it and would only smell it when I enter my apartment after being out for a long period of time. My whole apartment smells like a doublemint gum factory, and I love it, but the mice doesn't seem to like it, and that's a good thing.

It's been 3 months and no mice so far. I can tell you that it works if used properly because it works for me. I honestly don't believe in "super mice," so anyone who hasn't had a positive experience with it should try out one of the methods above.

The menthol in the oil irritates the noses of mice. They simply cannot tolerate it, especially when they rely on their sense of smell to survive. If the smell of the oil bothers us humans, imagine what it does to those tiny little creatures!

I'm no longer afraid to get a drink in the middle of the night, and I no longer have to clean mouse droppings from my cabinets, pots, and pans. Praise the lord!

Again, the cotton ball solution did not work for me, so those of you who have not had any luck should try one of the above, especially boiling the oil.
88 comments| 485 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2008
This winter the mice decided to live with us. I read in the paper that peppermint oil will get rid of them so I ordered some. I sprayed it all over the house (1 cup water to 2 tsp. oil) and I have not heard or seen a mouse since I sprayed the oil under the sink, along the garage wall entering the house, along the baseboards, etc. House smells great and no mice, the oil really works. I highly recommend it if you have mice in your house.
77 comments| 413 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2012
I've used this brand of peppermint oil for a couple yrs and it was wonderful. The last 2 bottles I got--including the one I ordered through amazon was HORRIBLE! (no fault of amazon or the shipper--great service there, as always!) I talked to the NOW people, first customer service, then the Nutrition Dept. They told me they have 4 different sources, all in India, for their peppermint. They only require 50% menthol in the product (which is what gives peppermint its characteristic fragrance). The previous bottles smelled so sweet you'd want to eat them and could use them to flavor foods, icing, etc. These last bottles have an awful rank odor over the comparatively faint peppermint smell. There's no way I could use this stuff! NOW seemed rather ambivalent about it ("oh, we've had several complaints/comments like yours") but didn't seem willing to change anything! I'm looking for a new source of peppermint oil.
3232 comments| 439 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2012
I bought the 16 oz bottle of this product because I live in a nursing home and would rather smell peppermint than certain other smells if you know what I mean.

Anyway, a word of warning on the usage of this product: I'm sure everyone has heard the saying, "Less is more..." and that's true with this product. In fact, if you use too much, you can get a burning sensation in your eyes, nose and throat. It's also hard to get the smell off your hands and clothes if you get it on them, so wear gloves if you can.

What I do, is get a couple of those small paper souffle cups that most of these places (again I live in a nursing home) use for medication distribution and put a small wad of toilet paper in them, then use a small syringe (don't worry, it's without the needle!) to withdraw ONE mL of the liquid, and squirt it all over the TP. That's plenty. I once did THREE mL and was regretting it for HOURS afterward!

I cannot attest to whether or not it will work to rid your property of pests/rodents, but it DOES get rid of disgusting odors - so long as you don't over do it with the quantity you pour out. :)
11 comment| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2011
I'm not at all sure why everyone is so fixated on mice. Peppermint oil is GLORIOUS for two things:
(1) dabbing under your nose to clear up breathing AND
(2) rubbing on your cheekbones to help a headache. (Note, if you put it on your cheekbones, be sure you're ready for a nap, because the fumes will get in your eyes otherwise.)
I've used it like this for over ten years - and it works wonders!
33 comments| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2006
I too have used this product for deter mice from coming into my home. It is much better than nasty traps, and you don't have to worry about using around your pets because one it won't hurt them, and two dogs stay away from it anyway because they don't like the smell either. And it makes your house smell great. I'm ordering some different oils to try to get rid of spiders. one drop of each in 1 quart of water citronella oil, lavender oil, cinnamon oil, peppermint oil, citrus oil, and tea tree oil. I have a very bad problem with spiders.
99 comments| 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2010
works in every way possible.

If you have cats DO NOT use if you are not familiar with essential oil handling, dilution and use. If ingested by cats it can kill them along with other certain essential oils. Before you purchase ANY essential oils do the research to see if they are toxic to your pets.
33 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2012
I drop a few drops of peppermint oil in my water and drink peppermint water all day long. Peppermint oil acts as a natural detox. The first few days I had more acne, burped a lot and loose stool. By day four that all subsided and my desire to graze on healthy snacks through out the work day was gone as well. Peppermint oil acts as an appetite suppressant. I lost ten pounds in ten days right off the bat. I'm now continuing to drink peppermint water but am trying to maintain my weight at 120.
This oil is worth it's weight in gold!
22 comments| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse