NST Nine Stars DZT-8-2W Infrared Touchless Automatic Motion Sensor Lid Open Trash Can, White, 2.1-Gallon
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Seals odor in and eliminates cross-contamination of germs with touch-free operation
- Water resistant infrared motion sensor detects motion within inches of sensor range
- Sleek design makes your environment a one of kind
- Energy saving technology keeps battery life 20% longer
- Measures 11.8-inch D by 8.6-inch W by 17.1-inch H; 4.4 pounds; 1-year warranty
Top Customer Reviews
Update 8/10/13: Been 1.5 years and the plastic mechanism in the bottom broke into many pieces, now it will not open. For the price, this should last a few years, if not longer, so I'm lowering the rating to two stars. From other reviews, this is not an isolated defect and one review said the plastic piece that broke is not warranted, even in the first year.
I have to honestly say using it daily for 9 years (did NOT have to change the batteries ONCE). This thing took a beating and kept on ticking.
Granted, the build "feels" cheap, but it lasted me almost 9 years. Definitely ordering another one!
As others have noted, the weak area seems to be mechanical connections between the electric mechanism (in this design at the bottom of the can, not in the top lid as in others), which clamps onto a pushrod that activates the lid at the top. This is fine when it works, but when it doesn't you have a double problem:
(1) The bottom mechanism isn't accessible, making what might be an easy fix impossible. If you somehow open it for repair, you've voided the warranty.
(2) Because the electronics and motor in this model aren't separable from the can itself, you have to send the WHOLE can to Nine Stars to get a replacement (after first getting an RMA number) which is quite expensive. Sent the cheapest way via UPS in the smallest and lightest box feasible, the cost was a non-reimbursable $28.00, more than half the cost of a new product. Barely worth the trouble -- PRESUMING they honor the warranty (about that see below).
And the warranty? Though initially customer representatives say only electronics in the "lid mechanism" is covered by warranty, apparently there is an exception for this model, as once I explained the mechanism couldn't be separated from the can itself, after a supervisor consultation I was issued an RMA -- though we'll see what that is worth. Hopefully they'll honor the warranty, otherwise I'll be out $28.00 and have no can. Best case scenario is that I'll get what amounts to a measly credit of ~$12 towards the cost of the replacement -- enough to pay minimum wage for the 90 minutes it took to phone Nine Stars, package the product and take it to UPS!
All in all, I'd not recommend this model unless the design is improved or at least the warranty policies massively enhanced.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I have had two of theses for 5 years, and they are Great! They are in bathrooms and the plastic is ideal because they aren't effective by the
moisture. Read more
I have this brand of trash can in kitchen and like it a lot. I bought this for bathroom so puppy can't get into. Read morePublished on December 17, 2013 by jelind05
This works as advertised. Much neater than lifting the lid with sticky fingers and spilling stuff. I really like this thing.Published on March 12, 2013 by Sam
The material is high quality. The only design fault is the handle on the inner bin. It is tricky to put the trash bag in the inner bin when the handle is in the way.Published on February 27, 2013 by Regular Tech Shopper
I got the item today. Obviously, it has been used! Some stinks on the bottom and battery cover! I'm very disappointed!!Published on August 27, 2012 by Mbf
I got my first automatic trash can two years ago on a whim for a fantastic clearance price...we recently remodeled our bathroom-it turned out beautiful. Read morePublished on March 25, 2012 by Mindy