Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery March Birthstone Shop Popular Services _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Paul McCartney Shop Now STEM

Size: Pack of 1|Color: Mash|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,852 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,028 reviews
on July 22, 2013
I bought this initially for making baby food while traveling/on-the-go but as soon as it arrived, we used it right away. I make our baby food at home using the steam/hand blend/freeze method but this allows us to make baby food right there on the spot and it's nice and fresh. Sure one can argue (poorly at that) that a fork and bowl could yield the same results, but dump your fresh food right in, give the small pulverzier a push and about 2 spins later, you have fresh baby food. My little one is six months and she loves eating: bananas, avocado, peaches, nectarines, and melons. For the banana and avocado, mix it with a little breastmilk or formula to get it to the right runny consistency. The thing I like about this bowl for nectarines and peaches, those fruits have a tendency to be stringy and I'm afraid it will choke my little one. This device cuts up the string without making the mush too runny and leaving it a thick consistency (something a fork and bowl will take you quite a while to do). I often defrost a frozen cube of blended fruit right in the bowl and add half a fresh banana and mush them all together. I like that you can feed your baby right out of the bowl and clean up is a breeze. So glad I bought this thing and I can't see us living without it.

Update (11/15/13): My little one is now ten months old. This bowl masher has taken up permanent residency in our diaper bag. She now eats the same table food we eat. We just cut up smaller chunks of veggies and take more veggies/meat/carb in the bowl and mash that up then mix up the cut up foot with the mashed food to create a chunky stew-like consistency. She only has two bottom teeth and two top teeth poking out so she can't quite chew some of the harder cuts of meat, so this thing comes in handy when the meats aren't toddler friendly. It has saved us in packing baby food and BUYING baby food alone. We love this thing!
review image review image review image
0Comment| 326 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 29, 2012
This was the perfect item to mash up food to give to our 11 month old. We have tried a few other products that didn't come close to this in terms of ease of use, effectiveness, and ease of cleaning. Some things I like about this product:

- The pieces are dishwasher safe which makes clean up easy.
- The bowl has a rubber bottom which makes it slip resistant.
- There are grooves in the bowl the provide a nice amount friction for mashing up foods.
- It is sturdy and durable (now is on to the third different child using this).
- It's a one "pot" meal - mash it up and serve right from it.

We have used this for about a month with all kinds of foods: pasta, meats, beans, fruits, veggies, etc. For the cost, I cannot recommend picking up this product enough - you will not be disappointed. It more than easily pays for itself in money saved from buying less jars of baby food!

UPDATE:

- over 6 months later and we have pretty much stopped using this product as our son is old enough (and has enough teeth) to not need most foods mashed up. Although, he does enjoy potatoes and other veggies mashed up still...so it still gets some occasional use.
This has held up through the entire time we used it and it will be ready to go for our next child! I stand by my original review of this product - it was a HUGE help for feeding our son all sorts of table food for many months.

Update #2 - 12/16/14

- baby #2 has officially started solid foods a few weeks ago and we took this right out of the attic. Since our first, we had let someone else borrow this and it still is in perfect condition! Bananas and sweet potatoes are being mashed to perfection already. We look forward to being able use this the entire time with this baby.
66 comments| 327 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2016
I used to cut the food into small cubes and put them in the blender to make the vegetable for my baby, but that is not a good way because you have to make a larger amount than the baby's needs! not convenient at all. I have to say it is a great decision to buy this for making quick and easy baby food, this great tool helps a lot. I meshed potatoes, carrots, and cabbages in this bowl, that can do the job well and with really clean a methods. the bowl is easy to clean as well.
I have used this for about a month, it is well-made and can make great baby food.
on May 13, 2012
The description on Amazon and manufacturer web page does not mention anything about being BPA free. I contacted the manufacturer and confirmed it is actually BPA free. That information is on the packing. Here is some additional information from their customer service: "The food cube tray is actually made from a rubber based material called TPE and I can confirm that this material does pass the UK regulations for food contact."

I tried to mash food using a spoon and it's not as easy as I thought. I like this masher. It's perfect when I only want to prepare one serving of baby food and feed my baby right away. It only takes ~30 seconds to mash one serving of food. Easy to wash, too.
99 comments| 263 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2017
We started feeding my daughter solid foods at 6 months. By that age, she didn't need to eat watery cereal and could eat thicker purees. Some foods, like bananas and strawberries, can be mashed up as is. Some foods, like apples and pears, mash up really well once they are steamed.

When she was about 9 months old we started putting whatever we were eating into the masher and it worked out perfectly. We put in pasta, stews, chicken and rice, spaghetti...all mashable! You can even take it to restaurants with you! Rather than spending money on a Baby Bullet, get a few of these!

If I were to ask for one thing in it, it would be to have a cover on the top or some sort of lid to make it even more convenient. It is easy to wash and clean as well. Great product I highly recommend it.
on March 6, 2017
I love this bowl! My babe is only 5 months and I plan to start baby led weaning but before I started I wanted to try this out and see how well it mashed things up so I could skip baby food altogether and just use this. Cheaper! Cheaper because I could just put some sweet potatoes or whatever I planned on cooking anyway and add a little to this bowl and mash it up. If your baby is used to runny consistency (i.e breastmilk/formula) I'd add some of that to whatever you're mashing to give it a runny consistency and they'll like it. The bowl is easy to use, easy to clean and easy to transport. It doesn't tip over super easily but it doesn't suction to the highchair or anything either. The ridges inside I feel make it extremely easy to break food down. The only thing I wish is that it came with a top for storing.
review image review image review image
on July 19, 2016
We bought this to start out 6 month old out on food! We used it for the first time with avocados! It worked perfectly! It's also very nice, durable plastic... Dishwasher safe is an added bonus!

Would totally purchase this again!
on May 16, 2014
Overwhelmed with choices of electric food grinder and the prospect of daily washing 5-10 parts including sharp blades, I first turned to this Mash and Serve Bowl and now have no need for a baby food maker. This works well mashing soft things like bananas and avocados. I microwave strawberries to soften them before mashing them. Sure a fork and bowl work too, but doesn't this look like more fun? This bowl is faster than just a fork and the masher is just the right shape for the bowl. The texture on the bowl helps too.

This bowl is more for mashing same-day, not for storing large quantities of food. That's better left to the blender or food processor.
on January 25, 2016
When I was a first time parent, I bought a lot of gadgets that would supposedly make my life easier. Let me tell you. Don't buy the expensive steamer/masher/processer doohickey. It will only make you sad. I stood over a 25 piece steamer/baby food maker and spent an hour washing all the little bits and pieces. I carefully selected free range, organic carrots and steamed and pureed the the whole thing. Baby took one bite and spread the rest in her hair and made some modern food art on her tray. I spent the next hour washing the baby and the highchair and then another half hour to wash the steamer. Fast forward 2 children and I have long since discarded the all in one steamer/blender. I spent $8 on this NUK Mash and Serve bowl and I am thanking my lucky stars. It is so easy. I simply take my dinner and cut it into pieces and then use this masher to grind it into baby quality food. Washing it takes only a minute or so. It is amazing.
on March 4, 2017
...the ridges aren't "tall" enough, or "sharp" enough, to really grab the food to mash for a small baby

went all-out, bought the baby bullet! steamer, too...
that's the way to go, if you're really gonna invest your time & energy...you'll have less frustration!