|Item Weight||4.05 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||5.1 x 1 x 8.3 inches|
|Item model number||945-12571-2500-000|
|Specification Met||Energy Star|
NVIDIA SHIELD Pro (2015)
- Enjoy infinite entertainment on a single, easy-to-use device, including movies and shows in 4K - now with HDR, the next big thing in TV technology. Plus, access your favorite songs at the touch of a button, and a new generation of great games.
- Get the best experience in Netflix and YouTube with support for 4K HDR in Netflix, 4K 60fps in YouTube, and universal voice search and private listening in both. Plus, access thousands more apps, including favorites like HBO, HULU, ESPN, VUDU (supports Ultraviolet and Dolby Atmos), Disney, PBS Kids, Showtime, CBS, Pandora, Spotify, Sling TV, NBA, MLB, Plex, and Kodi-all powered by Android TV.
- Just say what you want to see and let Google's revolutionary voice search technology find it within seconds. Then get the most comprehensive search results of any streaming device with results from over 60 apps, including Netflix, YouTube, HULU, HBO, VUDU, and more. And Chromecast is built-in, so you can cast from your Android or iOS phone to the big screen.
- Expand your entertainment with the most advanced gaming of any streaming media player. Play next-gen Android games only available on SHIELD or stream popular PC games from the cloud with GeForce NOW.
- Experience unbeatable performance that delivers the best streaming media experience - 3X faster than Apple TV, 4X faster than Fire TV, and 10X faster than Roku 4. SHIELD features 500 GB of storage (expandable up to 128 GB), the SHIELD controller, and an HDMI cable. With Plex Media Server built-in, SHIELD Pro gives you a powerful media server for streaming all your movies, TV shows, music, and photo collections to your phone or tablet, anywhere.
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
From the manufacturer
Rule the Living Room.
Transform your TV experience with NVIDIA SHIELD. The hottest movies and shows in brilliant 4K HDR. Your favorite songs at the touch of a button. And a new generation of great games.
Features at a Glance
- NVIDIA Tegra X1 processor
- 256-core NVIDIA graphics
- 64-bit CPU
- 3 GB RAM
- Android TV, Google Cast Ready
- HDMI 2.0b, 4K Ultra HD with HDR
- 500 GB storage
- MicroSD card slot for additional storage
- 802.11ac dual-band Wi-Fi
- Gigabit Ethernet
- Two USB 3.0, one micro-USB port
- SHIELD controller included
Let Google’s advanced voice commands do the work for you. Quickly find what you want with search results from over 60 top apps, including Netflix, HULU, VUDU, HBO, YouTube, and more. Even cast a show or pictures to your TV from your PC, Android, or iOS device with built-in Google Cast.*
*Casting optimized for selected services only. Streaming quality for other content might vary. Supported operating systems and devices: Android 2.3 and higher, iOS 7 and higher, Windows 7 and higher, Mac OS 10.7 and higher and Chrome OS (version 38 or higher).
TV Shows and Movies in 4K HDR
Watch in 4K HDR from apps like Netflix*, KODI (XBMC), and PLEX. Enjoy rich Dolby 7.1 or Dolby Atmos surround sound**. And plug your headphones into your SHIELD controller or remote for private listening.
Marvel’s Daredevil MARVEL & ABC Studios.
*Netflix Ultra HD and HDR limitations apply. Visit nflx.it/4K and nflx.it/HDR.
** Audio pass-through.
*** SHIELD stand sold separately.
Built to Perform
The advanced NVIDIA Tegra X1 processor delivers up to 25 times the performance of popular streaming devices*. Plus, with 16 GB of storage, a MicroSD slot, and USB 3.0 ports for expandable storage, you now have the speed, power, and storage to rule the living room the way you want.
*Compared to Roku 3 (GFXBench T-Rex benchmark).
More Ways to Game
Stream PC Games in the Cloud
GeForce NOW lets you stream a library of new and classic PC games at up to 1080p* resolution at 60 FPS from NVIDIA gaming supercomputers in the cloud. Enjoy a collection of 50 classic titles or buy newly released games from our online store and play them immediately. Sign-up for our free three-month trial today!
*See our website for more details.
Play SHIELD Games on the Big Screen
SHIELD is the best way to enjoy premium Android games—from family favorites and indie hits to the most advanced Android TV games with rich gameplay and intense multiplayer action.
Compare to similar items
|Shipping||—||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Available from these sellers||M-X-C Tech||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||MyGicaTV|
|Connectivity Technology||Dual-band WiFi + Gigabit Ethernet||Dual-band WiFi + Gigabit Ethernet||Wi-Fi||Built-in Wi-Fi||AC Wi-Fi Wireless and 1GB LAN|
|Item Dimensions||1 x 5.1 x 8.3 in||1 x 5.1 x 8.3 in||1.18 x 3.38 x 0.5 in||12.5 x 16.5 x 13 in||4.2 x 6.1 x 1.2 in|
|Item Weight||—||—||1.13 ounces||1 lb||0.5 lb|
|Internet Applications||Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, Pandora, Google TV||Youtube, Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, Google TV||youtube, espn, amazon_instant_video, cbs, hulu, sling_tv, netflix, fox||Browser, Skype, YouTube, iTunes, Cinemanow||Browser, Netflix, Skype, YouTube, KODI / Plex|
|Total HDMI Ports||1||1||0||1||1|
|Total Usb Ports||3||3||0||3||—|
Transform your TV experience with 4K HDR streaming, advanced gaming, and Android TV — only on the NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV streaming player. NVIDIA SHIELD is an amazing 4K HDR (as well as Full HD) home entertainment system, delivering incredible resolution and picture quality in favorite apps like Netflix, HBO, HULU, YouTube, VUDU, ESPN, Major League Baseball, NBA, Showtime, Disney, KODI, and PLEX. Vivid 10-bit color and rich Dolby 7.1 and Dolby Atmos surround sound make this a true home theater experience. Or plug your headphones into your SHIELD controller or SHIELD remote for a private listening experience. Say "Oscar-winning movies" or "launch Netflix" and let Google's advanced voice commands find content for you on your Android TV. Universal search capability provides access to the most comprehensive list of search results from over 60 top apps including Netflix, HULU, VUDU, HBO, YouTube, and more. Get personalized recommendations on your home screen. Even cast a show or pictures to your TV from your PC, Android, or iOS device with built-in Google Chromecast support. SHIELD makes your smart TV experience fast and easy. Download premium Android games—from family games and indie hits to the most advanced Android TV titles with rich gameplay and intense multiplayer action. Or join GeForce NOW to connect to NVIDIA's gaming supercomputers and enjoy unlimited streaming of popular PC games or buy newly released games from the online store. Enjoy what The Wall Street Journal calls “the highest performing streaming TV set-top box ever made”. NVIDIA SHIELD is over 3X the performance of new Apple TV, new Fire TV, or Roku 4. NVIDIA SHIELD Pro comes with 500 GB of internal storage, a microSD card slot for external storage, 802.11 2x2 wireless AC with MIMO, Gigabit Ethernet, two USB 3.0 ports as well as a game controller as well as an HDMI cable.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
*Thank you for the quick response. I will rerate once I get a solution from customer care. Contacting them now*
I've had two of these go out on me. Thankfully Nvidia has great customer support and doing the 2 RMAs was pretty easy and painless. My third one has been working for a week, let's hope it stays that way.
The device itself is very small, about the size of a thick DVD case. It has a very polished, quality look and feel, with some heft to it. There's a cool green light angling across the top, which you can turn off if it bothers you. Included in the package are an HDMI cable, microUSB charging cable, and gamepad. The gamepad is very similar to an XBox 360 controller in its layout and shape, with a few exceptions. In the center are a series of touch buttons (back, start, home, a syncing button, and volume up/down) which aren't that great. They work well enough, but it's harder to find them by touch in the heat of battle than it would be if they were physical. The bottom part is supposed to be a touchpad that works as a mouse, but Nvidia disabled this feature for Android TV (more on that later). Overall the quality is close to that of a 360 pad, with the D-Pad actually being better quality. It's a bit bulkier though, so keep that in mind for those with small hands. The Pro unit comes with a 500 GB hard drive, which I love. You might want to consider, however, that you can purchase 128 GB microSD cards for the non-pro unit, or use external hard drives. There are limitations to what you can put on external drives, however, and in the current version of Android there are write issues involved. Android Marshmallow may fix these issues.
The software experience is a mixed bag. This device runs Android TV, which is (as you might expect) Android made for your TV. This is a great idea in theory, but the problem is that the library of apps is highly restricted. Google only allows apps onto the TV market that are compatible with a remote or gamepad (NOT a mouse). This reduces the hundreds of thousands of Android apps down to a few hundred. You need to research which of your favorite apps are compatible with this before you purchase it, or you will be very disappointed. You CAN sideload apps, and many can be pushed from the Play Store in a browser onto the Shield. Many sideloaded apps will work with a mouse (yes you can attach a wireless mouse or keyboard), but sometimes they crash or do not work correctly. If you do sideload, you will need a secondary launcher (I recommend Sideload Launcher) to view them, as the default launcher only displays Android TV apps/games.
Emulators work AMAZINGLY. There are emulators for almost every system up to Gamecube/Wii, and for the most party they are very fluid with high compatibility. Most of these emulators are made for Android TV, so you won't have much grief navigating the menus or loading them from the default launcher. I must add, however, that if you want a device ONLY for emulation, the Nexus Player would be a much cheaper alternative to consider.
The enhanced Nvidia games available are a big step up from the normal Android fare. They range in quality but overall have better graphics and gameplay, as well as full gamepad compatibility. There are even some (slightly) older AAA console games ported over, such as Doom 3, Trine 2, Portal, and others.
You can also stream PC games from a computer with a compatible Nvidia video card. I have not used this feature but many people do, and from what I've read, it's a pretty awesome feature. You can download third party software to stream games from a non-Nvidia PC as well. The device works as a Chromecast receiver, as well, so you can cast compatible apps to your TV.
The Shield comes with a feature called GeForce Now (formerly GRID) which is an online game streaming service like the now-defunct Onlive service. There are not a lot of games available on this service, but they are adding more all the time. I highly suggest checking out the list of games before you commit. Performance-wise, I tried this briefly and my connection was pretty spotty, so I experienced some stuttering. You will likely need faster internet for this feature.
Overall I have enjoyed this device very much. However, it's not for everyone. If you want a complete cord-cutting solution, with every channel and video service seamlessly at your fingertips, you might want to try a Roku 4 or other box. If you want tons of AAA games, you should get an actual console like the PS4 or XBox One. However, if you want to stream PC games to your TV, play emulated games, play Android games (including the Nvidia ports), and/or do some online video, than this might be what you are looking for.
1. My smart television is slow and the apps on it are sub-par. This device is fast and has all (and more) of the same apps my Samsung TV does.
2. Control and power integration with HDMI-CEC enabled is awesome! I can use my TV's remote to control the Shield to some extent, and when I turn on my Shield, my TV and sound bar turn on automatically, and when I turn off my TV, the Shield automatically goes to sleep. I don't have to use three remotes to turn everything on anymore.
3. I have a compatible 980GTX Nvidia graphics card and an extensive PC game library collection. Playing them on my TV with the Shield remote, or with my Logitech Bluetooth keyboard and mouse is amazing.
However there are some issues some would consider "cons", however I consider them as "expected":
1. Requires maintaining updates to OS, hardware firmware, and any connected PC's Geforce Experience software and drivers to ensure smooth operation.
2. If using WiFi for GameStream, you will get expected results if using a high-speed band, such as 5GHz N band. Your Shield and PC will need to be on this same band. Otherwise I would suggest trying Ethernet only before trying B or G WiFi bands, as you will get "low bandwidth" notifications while playing.
Buy this, You will thank yourself. Literally shames ROKU, Apple TV or any other box out right now.
This box will shame your HTPC too for that matter.
I have owned and ran them all.
If your a power user then get this model, If you only watch Netflix, HULU and a few android games along with streaming games realtime from Your PC or Steam or EA service, The Less expensive 16GB Model might be enough for you.
I recommend you purchase the Remote control if you watch a lot of TV.