Lyft Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

NVIDIA SHIELD TV | Streaming Media Player with Remote & Game Controller
Edition: SHIELD with remote and gaming controller|Configuration: Streaming Media Player|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,062 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,155 reviews
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 16, 2017
I Just received my Nvidia shield in the mail, the SHIELD TV not the PRO.

Whats' in the box?
NVIDIA SHIELD TV
Remote
Controller
Power Adapter
Charging Cable (for controller)

What's not in the box?
HDMI cable - This is rather annoying, but most people will have another one laying around somewhere.

Initial build quality impressions: 4/5
Unit does not have a very substantial feeling to it, feels rather lightweight and a little flimsy. Both the remote and gamepad have a good feel in my hands and I enjoy holding them. For what it is the build quality is adequate though, just don’t drop it.

Getting started: 4.5/5
Upon starting the unit you will need to setup the unit with your Google account. This can be either done using the controller or using your android smartphone / tablet. The latter, did not work for me. I received an error that something went wrong and the setup aborted on my phone. No big deal, the on screen setup is rather painless. After the setup the device will download a rather large (1.07GB) software package and then ask to restart. Upon restart the SHIELD will take you to it's main app screen.

Interface: 5/5
The main interface is very clean and very fast. Apps are laid out in the traditional tile orientation with menus being very easy to navigate.

HDR Test: 4/5
One of the major reasons I purchased this is the HDR support that it offers over other boxes. So, first thing I did was sign into my Amazon Prime Instant Video account and fire up an episode of "Mozart in the Jungle". As soon as the video launched the TV switched over to HDR settings and I was good to go.

Amazon: HDR is working.
Youtube: HDR NOT working: Attempted to play "The World in HDR" TV is not switching to HDR settings
Netflix: Update 1/16/2016: HDR is now working. You need to update the Netflix app via the "Google Play Store" on the main dashboard in order to have HDR work.

Internal Storage: 3.5/5
The base version has 16GB of internal storage, which is realistically 11GB after allocation. Time will tell if this will suffice for my needs. It should be noted that a MICRO SD CAN NOT be used with the base version, that slot is only on the pro version. It did allow me to connect a 128GB USB flash drive to be used as additional internal storage.

Gaming: 4.5/5
I tested a few Android games that I bought previously from the Google Play Store. I played Final Fantasy and Goat Simulator. Both games mapped controls as if you were playing on a console and it translates well to the SHIELD. I did not try any kind of game streaming yet as I don't have access to any content at this time.

Game Emulation:5/5
I've gotten a few questions on emulation and gamepad input lag so I did some testing on a few different emulators. So far I've tested MUPEN64, Snes9x+, ePSXe, MD.Emu and NES.Emu. In all instances the software automatically mapped the NVIDIA Gamepad to appropriate buttons. All of the games I tested ran very smoothly, with a little bit of situational lag on the N64 Emu, but this was with settings maxed. I noticed absolutely no input lag from the gamepad and everything felt very responsive. It's possible people who are very sensitive to input lag may feel differently, YMMV.

Gamepad: 4.5/5
The game pad is almost the exact same size as my XBOX ONE S controller with a button layout a little closer to a Sony DUALSHOCK controller, with the D-Pad being above the left stick. The game pad battery does not come fully charged so I suggest plugging it in and charging it after unboxing if you want to use it.

Remote 4/5
The remote is not chargeable and does not use a traditional AA/AAA battery. It instead uses 2 "CR 2032" flat cell batteries that are claimed to last about a year. To change the batteries you need to use a fine point (pen etc.) to press in the small button on the bottom of the remote, the battery tray should then eject.
UPDATE 1/21/2017: Like many of the other reviewers my remote is completely worthless now. Initially I did not notice any issues with it, but lately it is either lagging severely or not responding at all. Hopefully this can be resolved with software updates, if not NVIDIA is going to need to replace all of the remotes. My current remote version is 1.03.
UPDATE 2/19/2017: Android TV 5.1 and remote firmware v1.05 both had a rollout on my device on 2/18/2017. The combination of these updates seems to have greatly improved the functionality of the remote. Aside from the initial lag when you "wake" the remote, it seems to be completely lag free now. Thank you NVIDIA for resolving this issue that has plagued so many of us.

Voice Search: 3.5/5
Voice search so far seems very nice, but as far as I can tell it doesn't find programs on Prime Video from the home screen. If I say "The Man in High Castle" it will pull up a review and a cast list, but no option to watch on Amazon. But if I search "X-Files" It will show up as available to watch on "Netflix" and I can watch it. The voice search is supposed to get more support at a later date with the addition of Google Home features.

Network: 4/5
In order for the SHIELD to appear on your network, you need to update the PLEX server first and enable the device in the "Storage and Reset" menu. For some reason I was unable to update PLEX server in the "Google Play" app on the device and I had to manually push it from the google play store on my PC.
UPDATE 1/17/17: I've recently been having issues with the other PCs in my house not being able to see the shield on the network. This is making it so I can't drop files directly on the shield. This initially worked when I got it set up, but is no longer. What I've been doing as a workaround is putting files into a shared folder I named "SHIELD TRANSFER" and pulling the files over using the free app "ES FILE EXPLORER". It's inconvenient, but it works. This will become more of an issue if I decide to host media on the shield and attempt to watch it on other devices. This issue may be isolated to my network.
UPDATE 1/18.17: I did some digging and got the drive to finally show on the network (hopefully for good). This is from Nvidia’s site, I suggest you give it a try if you’re having issues like I was:
“To immediately connect to your SHIELD, type “\\SHIELD” into the Windows Explorer address bar. If you changed your device name (found in Settings > About on your SHIELD), replace “SHIELD” with your device name (without any spaces). Alternatively, you can type your SHIELD’s IP address into the Windows Explorer address bar: \\192.168.1.X (find your IP address on the “Access SHIELD folders on PC” page).

You can also permanently map your SHIELD as a network drive by right-clicking on “Network” in File Explorer and selecting “Map Network Drive”. Select an unused Drive letter. In the Folder field, type your IP address and the folder path to map. Example: “\\192.168.1.5\internal”. Select “Reconnect at logon” and then Click “Finish”.”

Complaints: I feel that the omission of an IR sensor and MICRO SD slot on the base version of the SHIELD to be a poor decision. Most people are not comfortable spending an extra $100 for features that were standard in the previous version of this device. I'm also annoyed to a lesser extent by the lack of an HDMI cable. The remote in it's current state is worthless and needs to be resolved either by replacement or a patch.

Overall Rating: 4.25/5
After having a few days getting the device mostly set up for my use, I must say I’ve very pleased with the unit overall. It’s hands down the fastest streaming device I’ve ever used, much faster than my XBOX ONE S and ROKU 3. The ability to use the device as network storage makes transferring files and media between PC and SHIELD very easy. Although the SHIELD TV unit itself and the controller function very well, the remote is completely worthless. The device is almost perfect if they can get the remote issues resolved.
UPDATE 2/19/2017: Recent firmware updates with Android TV 5.1 and remote firmware 1.05 have resolved the previous issues with the remote. The only nagging issue I am having is the shield network storage "unmounting" itself whenever the device restarts, which makes it a hassle to transfer content on the fly without having to first re-mount the device. If there is a fix for this I would love to know..
review imagereview imagereview image
3434 comments| 586 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 20, 2017
This thing is awesome. Holy moly am I so happy to not be using my Samsung TV for streaming anymore. You know... One of the coolest things, it's so small... When I turn on the Shield, it tells my TV to turn on which tells my sound bar to turn on and vice verse. The volume control on the shield controls the sound bar. Everything just works.

I got this as a mini project... A tiny 128GB USB drive to store android apps and games in the first slot. And a 4TB Passport in the second right on top. Install the Plex Server... Got myself a Homerun HD Tuner. Now I schedule and record everything and anything on TV. And the shield quietly records it all whatever I'm doing for later play.

Great product. It just works. Still getting quality updates. Amazon Prime streaming? Check. Netflix? Check. Crunchy roll? Of course. HBO Go... YouTube... All there. No BS.

P.S. Get this one. You'll love the size. If you need storage, buy a dang 4TB tiny passport for $150 and voila!
review imagereview image
55 comments| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 17, 2017
I've had it only for a day (the base version, not Pro). So far I love it's streaming apps. Netflix, Amazon, and Plex support 4K HDR, Youtube, Google Movies, Vudu and Ultraflix and a few others support 4K (no HDR for those yet, rumored to come later for Vudu, Google Movies and Youtube). The Netflix app had to be updated on the Google Play Store to get HDR support. Sadly, the Sony Ultra app (where you can own or rent Sony's 4K HDR movies) is available but is unable to play 4KHDR items.
Feels much faster and responsive than my Roku, and better than my Apple TV as that only does 1080p.
Sadly, no Google Home/Assistant support with handsfree mic yet - that apparently comes later this year, even though Nvidia has been touting it as if it's already supported. For now, you have to press a button on the remote or the controller to talk to the system. That works very well.
An annoying thing initially - accidentally touching the vertical touch area for volume control on the remote would pop up a message saying volume is controlled with the amp. I solved it in Settings by enabling CEC Audio. Now the little Shield remote also seamlessly controls the amplifier volume, and no annoying popups on the TV when that area is accidentally touched - easy to do.
The interface is fast. Launching apps, browsing content in them, playing is almost instantaneous. It supports Dolby ATMOS in Vudu. My Shield is connected to my Denon amplifier which supports ATMOS.
I have not explored the gaming aspects at all.
Improvement requests to NVIDIA:
1. It currently upscales everything to 4K. I wish it'd give an option to send content at the content's original resolution and refresh rate to the TV, and let the TV upscale it.
2. Support the TWC (now Spectrum) app for live TV.
3. Add 4K support for Hulu. My XBOX One S already does, which I use for 4K blu-rays and 4K content on Hulu.
4. HURRY UP with the "Google Home" handsfree update.
To me, this is the best streamer on the market now that includes pretty much all the popular streaming content apps. The handsfree microphone update (like Google Home), when it comes, will make it an amazing device.
55 comments| 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 19, 2017
I had extremely high expectations for this gaming streamer. It hasn't disappointed. It was easy to hook up with the optional HDMI cable I had lying around. The device itself is smaller than it looks online but it is stylish and I love the green LED light on the front. If you find it's too bright, you can adjust it from the settings menu including turning it off if you so desire.

I'm currently using a single-band router (2.4 GHz) and it has been smooth sailing. It is recommended you get a dual-band router if you plan on using the GeForce Now service, which I plan on trying later on. I don't have the ability to upgrade my laptop's graphics so I won't be streaming PC games from my computer but the reviews from people sound positively who use that feature.

The two remotes included are great. The smaller remote feels great in the hand and allows you to control navigation and even some games. It runs on two round cell batteries and Nvidia claims they should last a year. The rechargeable joystick controller is also fantastic. It feels just right in the hand whether playing games or simply navigating YouTube. It lets you plug in your headphones and sounds great when you desire more personal sound. Both controllers have voice recognition capabilities with the push of a button and works flawlessly. You can do regular Google searches on any topic and search within apps that allow it. Unfortunately, Google Assistant is not yet active as of the date I'm doing this review. I'll update this to reflect when the service is running. I hope Nvidia still plans on adding it in as they announced but there's been no word about the delay.

If there's any downside, it's the Google Play Store for Android TV doesn't have nearly the amount of apps as the standard store. However, it hasn't been a big issue for me as several of my favorite apps and games are available. The ability to get the apps you want is made easier with sideloading. If you're familiar, it's ready using a sideloading app. If you're not familiar, look it up online or watch the process on YouTube. It is relatively simple. It's too bad you have to do this to get the apps not in the Android TV version of the Play Store but I knew that going in. I don't think you should let that deter you from considering this. It is the most powerful steamer, by far, and allows you to watch your movie and TV apps (some in 4k) and play your favorite games in a variety of ways. It has Android Nougat and Nvidia has a great track record for updating the Shield line as updates are available. Considering the internal specifications are going to be super powerful for years to come, I don't think you'll regret your decision to try it out!
on November 25, 2017
I've used many streaming players and devices to stream from but nothing really compares to the Nvidia Shield TV. There is a lot to like for general consumers and people with certain interests.

The main reason why I like the shield better than other streamers that are cheaper is the interface. Using a Chromecast is great for the price but Android TV is a far better solution.

Here are some of my main pros

- 4K and HDR supported apps
- Expandable storage via USB flash drives or external SSDs
- Google Assistant for quick access and info
- Best Kodi streaming box you can buy besides a media center PC
-Great game controller with built in 3.5 mm jack for private listening
- if you have a GTX 1060 or above you can stream your games to the Shield TV.

What I don't like
- USB ports are wayyy to close to each other.
- As much as I defend the price it will be too high for a lot of people and for the price range 32GB or higher should be standard
on July 3, 2017
The NVIDIA Shield is a very fast streaming box. The available apps except for the availability to use my cable provider's streaming app makes this my favorite streaming box, out of the ones I own. I love the ability to use a Bluetooth keyboard and use an external USB drive, to expand the built in 16GB storage. The ability of how well KODI works on the box and the option to use PLEX, allows me to organize my personal media content. I am a big streaming user and the added benefit of gaming through this box is a nice feature other boxes can't offer. My only gripe is the remote. The back and cancel button are very clunky and I have to press extremely hard and sometimes multiple times to get the action to perform. Since I can use a Bluetooth keyboard, I can work around the problem. I also bought the stand, which I find makes it easier for connecting and disconnecting peripherals from the box and gives the option to place the box vertically.
on January 17, 2017
Cable cutters dream. This is my third tv box. I started with the Matricom GBox Q, nice box but slow kodi shut down and system shut down. Then I purchased the Minix Neo U1. A bit quicker on startup and shut down but really nice interface and smooth video. I enjoy the range and optional controller that can be purchased in the package deal. I have been reading the rave reviews of the Nvidia Shield TV and tried to order one before Christmas to no avail. I had to wait for the Nvidia upgrade and received it yesterday. Setup was a breeze. Excellent range. I use it primarily as a tv box, Kodi install direct from google play. Google Chrome you have to search for on first run but easily found. Startup and Shut down very fast. I do not have a 4K tv so I can not comment on it. Have not tried any of the games yet. All in all very impressed. If your budget is tight and you dont need 4K ,try the Minix Neo U1 but if you can afford it, do try the Nvidia Shield. Including a picture to let you see how small it is.
on January 31, 2018
I have purchased the brand new Nvidia Shield TV 16G (2017) from Amazon directly on the last Thanksgiving Day. After one month of using I have noticed that my Nvidia Shield TV (2017) has started to overheat (up to 70 C), the interface started to stutter, video playback started to lag and the game controller started to press its keys by itself. I have not played any games, just videos! Pathetic. I have contacted Amazon and they offered me a refund ONLY because, you see, they can't ship the replacement to my shipping address currently although they did it at the day of initial purchase. Again, pathetic.
Stay away from Shields manufactured in 2017. They are all seems to be faulty.
on February 5, 2017
Absolutely love it, the setup was nice and easy. the devices looks great and works great. Highly recommended
Top Contributor: Star Trekon April 26, 2017
Where to start...honestly I had my doubts about such devices, but time has changed, and now you get enough power to actually make such normal living room activities, pretty natural.

This thing is small; just look at the remote size :) but pack quite a punch, both as gaming platform and as multimedia center. Get a 128 GB memory stick to use as storage (the unit has just 16 GB which are basically useless unless you put few apps on it, and be done with it), or plug an external HD, wireless keyboard and mouse, and you have everything you need to enjoy your living room.

Games: this device play most of the android games; the downside is that it is running Android TV, not the regular Android, so the app store has very few apps on it. But you can still load other games, and use keyboard and mouse to simulate touch. So far I did play few of the ones available , and between 3d racing and FPS, it did run flawlessly.

Then you have the advantage of the streaming service, if you decide to pay the monthly fee. This give you access to a ton of games, withouth the need to own a powerful pc; everything is streamed to your Shield, and the latency is pretty good, if you have a good wired connection.
Do you have a pc at home with Nvidia card and Steam running on it? You can play on the shield, basically all your games (No man sky, Battlefield one, Mass Effect Andromeda, GTA5 and so on...almost all games tried does work flawlessly; as long as you have a good connection).

Do you like emulators? Well, you are in luck because you can get few applications that let you play old nintendo/Sega games, and much more. You can even simulate computers like the Atari ST, Amiga, Sinclair Spectrum, C64; all while using your remote or game controller; on your big tv in the living room. Can't ask for more,to be honest.

Gaming is not your thing? No worries, you have a ton of applications; from educational to more well known streaming services like Youtube, Hulu, Amazon, Netflix and so on; the video is crisp clean on 1080p TV; no matter what you use. The only thing that I miss is a decent browser, but you can side load Firefox or Chrome, and you are good to go.

Andif you are in love with music and videos, you can install either plex server or Kodi, and have your awesome entertainment system in your living room, to watch your own video and listen to your music (configure a NAS or your pc as external device is fast and easy).

Lots of positives; but what about negatives: There are some.

First of all, the remote require button batteries; they last long time, but was better the previous remote, where you could recharge it via USB.
Memory is also another limitation here; the main unit has 3 GB of ram, which is good for the time being, but can't expard it so you are stuck with a device that may be obsolete in the long run. Being the second gen of the Shield, I was expecting either more memory or a way to upgrade it.
Also the main CPU is the same as the old shield; so if you have the 1st gen, you don't need this one for sure (the only difference is the size, which is smaller in the second gen, although you loose rechargeable remote and SD card slot on the unit, in favor of a game controller included though).

Another issue is the software; not much software for Android TV, if you want to stick with the official software; you can load other apps, but they may not work, since they are designed for touch screen, and not for interaction with gamepad and remote.

Storage space is a joke; 16 GB is really not that much (11 GB available, the rest is reserved for the OS); you are forced to add external storage space; using one of the 2 USB plugs. Not sure why the SD card slot is gone, but it was not a great move, since you have only 2 usb 3.0 ports.

Last but not least, the onboard software has some issues if you use an external USB storage device (usb stick for example), formatted as internal storage, and want to use a wireless receiver for keyboard and mouse: it works for a while, then the keyboard and mouse stop working; until you unplug the power cable and plug it again. There is a problem with the firmware or the Android OS that cause this problem with the memory storage mode of the USB ports; if you do not use the USB stick as internal memory storage, it works fine. Although if you do not do so; you can't copy applications on the USB stick, so you are stuck using the internal memory only, which will not allow you to put much on it.

Overall, this device is perfect if you play games, emulators, and use streaming services. Has limitations that can be overcome, but having an old CPU, will make you wonder if it is worth to buy it or wait for the next gen of Shield, and get a used Shield MK1 in the meantime. Up to you...