Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 212 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 227 reviews
on October 21, 2012
I have probably wasted 10+ hours of my life getting the 3DVision Emitter driver to install correctly. The installation program is also out of date, because if you are using a 3D projector, it fails to instruct you to also plug in the RS232 cord to the emitter, which is needed for proper use. The installation program needs to be revamped to be more compatible with Windows7 64bit, because for whatever reason, it refuses to install the emitter device drivers correctly. Only after many hours of pulling my hair out and trial and error did I discover that during a certain step in the setup process you have to unplug and replug the emitter quickly in order to complete the installation correctly. Why? I have no idea.

On the other hand... once it actually worked and I witnessed stereographic 3D for the first time... well, it is my new best friend!!! I just watched Avatar 3D on my 90" projection screen using the NVIDIA 3D Vision and a compatible projector and WOW... just WOW! I had no idea 3D tech has come this far!!

My only other complaint is the price. Also, extra sets of glasses are very expensive as well.

UPDATE*** Windows 7 did an update and auto restarted my computer. Guess what? Yep, the 3D emitter isn't working anymore. I cannot enable the 3D now. I am back to my 3D Vision installation woes... been working on it for hours now. SUPER ANNOYING.

UPDATE2** Solved my problems with a registry hack. For those of you having the same issues, change the value to the registry key below from 0 to 1. (key location may differ from OS to OS) This tricks the 3DVision program into skipping the 3D setup, where my problems occur. Works great now!

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D\StereoVisionConfirmed
33 comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2016
My last couple of laptops have had nVidia 3D capability, and I'm moving back to a desktop for my next system, so I wanted to keep that capability.

This is how it works:
1) You have a reasonably new (like in the last five years) nVidia GPU in a desktop PC
2) You have a nVidia 3D compatible monitor (I've heard that it will work with any monitor that does 120Hz or higher, but I've only tested it with monitors that advertise their compatibility with 3D vision-- Acer has a 24 inch 144Hz monitor that's compatible for like $200).
3) You plug this thing in.
4) You go into nVidia Control Panel (right click on the desktop) and enable stereoscopic 3D.

After a very simple setup, you have a 3D PC. That's it.

Do note, however, that I said "desktop PC." Unless your laptop has a 120Hz display, or has the ability to output to an external monitor at 120Hz, this isn't going to work. (The laptop I am replacing is a gaming monster with 3D Vision built in-- but it only works on the laptop's display, I can't output at 120Hz.)

The advertised list of games that this is compatible with is incomplete-- it's been my experience that this works with just about any game that uses 3d acceleration-- even older games and games that aren't first person shooters. If the folks behing Oculus or Vive could figure out how to do the same thing, that technology would be everywhere. Some of the games that I've been able to play with this technology:

Portal 1 & 2
World of Warcraft (Cataclysm, I think)
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Starcraft II
Diablo III
Command and Conquer: Generals
Skyrim

I've found that there are two areas where it can go wrong-- the first is that, for some reason, water may not look right in some games. And every once in a while something gets "too close to the viewer" and goes crosseyed. But these are rare; with most games it's flawless.

Another drawback-- the glasses require line of site with the transmitter. This makes sense, as the active shutter technology requires being synced with the PC. But it can be kind of jarring when you scratch your face or turn your head and all of a sudden the glasses turn off. I've seen people unhappy about the amount of light you lose-- basically 50%, but some displays have lightboost when doing 3d, and although mine didn't, my eyes adjusted pretty quickly.

Of course, this also works with 3D Blu Ray (with the right player), as well as any SBS 3D you find online (with nVidia's player). I was collecting 3D Blu Rays for three years before I bought a 3D TV.
on February 2, 2017
a lot of the reviews for this product are grading the technology, and not this thing for what it is. if you dont like 3d, this isnt going to make you like 3d. if a game isnt compatible with 3d, this kit isnt going to fix that.

so ill say that if i had to judge 3d gaming, i'd give it 2 stars. for this product working, easily, having a long battery life, etc? 5 stars. i dont like how 3d gaming effectively knocks your fps in half, so going from 144fps to 60 is agonizing. if you're one of those people lucky enough to not perceive the difference in 144 and 60, you very well might love this. if, however, you have a 144fps game/monitor/capable GPU and the idea of playing 60 fps is less appealing than uninstalling the game, you should probably try to sample these before you buy them.

i cant personally watch 60 fps even on a desktop and not hate it, so this didnt work well for me, sadly. but at least the photos/movie potential is still there.
on March 29, 2015
Doesn't always work very well with some games. It's really only a small percentage of games I have that does work well with. A few off the top of my head include:

Dead Space 2
Far Cry 3
Just Cause 2
Mafia II
Batman AC and AA

When it does work I must say it is VERY immersive and VERY cool. In some cases it's a compromise between 3D or max settings but in a few cases (dead space 2 and batman AC) I can keep the settings up AND have 3D.

If you want to watch Blu-ray 3D titles (which I highly recommend) you'll need software to run the disk and a Blu-ray disk drive.

Switching to 3D right now can still be really expensive, but if you have the cash, this isn't some cheap red/blue glasses 3D from childhood. Things pop in and out of the screen in high resolution and full color.
VINE VOICEon November 28, 2012
Despite some poor experiences at 3D movies (bad headaches), I've been very surprised with the quality of nVidia's 3D gaming--so much so that I took the plunge and bought this set of glasses and emitter. The difference is that the movie theater uses a 'passive 3D' system where polarized lenses fool the eyes into seeing a double-image, just out of phase, and the effect is a trick of the eyes. This nVidia 3DVision system is 'active 3D': each lens of the glasses flickers back and forth at a rate faster than the eye can see, to cause the brain to see left/right perspectives of the doubled screen image in a way that creates the illusion of 3D. The glasses have a power button and battery, can be charged with the supplied USB cable and then used wirelessly, and rely on a small IR emitter that you set on your desktop within line-of-sight of the glasses. The emitter plugs into your computer through USB and has a 'sync' cable to keep the monitor's signal in sync with the glasses.

I've been told this "version 2" of the glasses is better at reducing ghosting and more comfortable than the older nVidia glasses: I can vouch for the fact that 3 hours wearing these isn't so bad, but I also think the human eye doesn't really like sessions much longer than that. In the meantime, 3D gaming with the nVidia 3D Vision 2 Wireless Glasses kit is downright amazing. The level of support varies depending on the game, but the best way to describe it to you is to imagine that your monitor goes from being a window into another world...to being a box in which all the toylike characters look like you could practically reach into the screen and pick them up. In really good games like Guild Wars 2, things appear to float out towards you, from stray arrows and magic bolts to fluttering leaves and bits of pollen. Looking down the gunsights in Battlefield 3 is downright vivid.

3D Vision isn't just an always on/always off technology though: while it's easy to flip it on and off with Ctrl + T, it's also something nVidia gives you the ability to adjust on demand. When I play Black Mesa, that's an older FPS and I dial down the depth effect by holding Ctrl + F3 until it looks comfortable. With Bioshock, the crosshair is hard to peg (Bioshock will add a red reticle to help you) and I have to adjust to where the reticle is centered. Guild Wars 2 and EverQuest II let me turn the settings up: I hold Ctrl + F4 until I'm happy with the look. Every time I launch a game, I get a colored overlay that tells me the level of quality and gives a hint of the effects, such as "some objects may render at the wrong depth". The Secret World has a bit of a scaling problem where objects change size a bit when you get closer to them. If a game doesn't support 3D or requires different settings, you'll get this same information too, such as "set resolution to 1280 x 720 @ 60Hz or 1920 x 1080 @ 24Hz to enable 3D". Ctrl + Alt + Insert toggles any pop-up information on and off at any time.

I never thought I'd say this, but 3D gaming is tons of fun, and a lot easier on the eyes than I'd expected. You still don't want to do it for many hours at a time, but being able to turn it on and off with a keypress means you'll easily find it to be a comfortable and fun experience.

NOTE: If you have a 3D HDTV that is compatible with 3DVision, then this bundle is not necessary. I now have a Vizio 3D HDTV that lets me use the passive glasses that came with the TV instead of these active shutter glasses (which I now use for my laptop). I did have to purchase nVidia's 3DPlay software to do this, but for a 3D HDTV, the software makes a cheaper alternative to the glasses that works just as well. You can find out more about this in the link I have added to the Comments section of this review.
on January 4, 2015
I've owned the original NVIDIA 3D Vision for a few years with an ASUS monitor that supports it, and I've always been impressed at the depth of the graphics. It's like playing all your favorite games all over again for the first time, and now you're *inside* the game. I have always been a huge fan of stereoscopic media, even back when I was a small child and they had those stereoscopic Viewmaster reels. (Anyone feel old now?)

In it's second design, the NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 glasses feel *much* more comfortable. Additionally, they made changes so you have a larger field of view, and the design of the LED-STROBE lenses have been altered so *more* light is available. This means that the images are much brighter than the first version of the VISION glasses, and you won't have to turn up the brightness and gamma in your games anymore. They have also improved the sync between the glasses and the transmitter, so you won't see nearly as much ghosting (double-vision) in games and movies. The system is backwards compatible, so I can have a friend or two over and let them use the old glasses I had so everyone in the room can enjoy the 3D depth, and everything still works fine.

You must pay attention when installing the drivers. Under your NVIDIA control panel, ensure that you have the option for stereoscopic / 3D Vision. If that option is present, then the correct drivers are already installed, and you can just plug the transmitter right in to an available USB port and, when the drivers are all set, select "NVIDIA 3D Vision" as your 3D option. Otherwise, I would uninstall your NVIDIA drivers, *DO NOT REBOOT*, use "Ccleaner" to clean your registry, download the *latest* drivers for your graphics card, install them, reboot, and *THEN* plug in the transmitter. Otherwise, you're gonna have a bad time.

You *MUST* have a compatible NVIDIA graphics card and capable 120Hz monitor to fully enjoy 3D Vision. Once everything is set, happy gaming. My current setup is a Geforce GTX 980 with an ASUS Rog Swift 27" monitor, and its a 3D DREAM. I *do* have two GTX 980's, and 3D vision is *wonky* with SLI support. This may or may not be addressed, NVIDIA has been lax on 3D Vision support as of late.

One more thing: It's not always included, but if you want to watch 3D movies, you'll need NVIDIA's 3D Video player. Just google it.
on September 12, 2016
It worked for about 2 or 3 days and then stopped, I tried everything technical support suggested but it just wasn't turning on anymore so I had to return them. It's a shame because while they were working, they were beautiful and I really wanted to keep them, but I didn't want to take a chance on the second set breaking down, too.
on April 11, 2017
Sucks. I thought these would be compatible with my NEC Monitor but they weren't. So I bought one of the NVidia certified monitors and what do you know.....that didn't work either! So I spent $100+ for these stupid glasses and $400+ for a new monitor and still doesn't work. I tried everything. I'm totally disappointed and am out $500+. I hope you guys have better luck than I did.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2017
Great for movie watching on my PC, and AWESOME for pc gaming when in the mood for 3D.

Pros: VERY Comfortable, hours upon hours without any digging in side effects other glasses can have. Very clear and bright with the right monitor and settings. Easy to setup.

Cons: Price for what all you get. Not knocking an egg here as they are still one of the only ones making them aside a few others, so they are still in demand which puts price up there.
on May 11, 2015
The glasses do work. I will start with that. I have the ASUS 144 hz refresh monitor and it worked on that monitor well. The only thing that I have to say is that I agree with some of the other reviewers-it is uncomfortable. I have a big head. A VERY big head. I wear an 8 just for reference.

The 3D effect was cool though. It seemed like it was better the closer I got to the screen. I don't know if others got this effect or not, but I did notice a difference. It eliminated some of the sick feeling I was getting by being closer.

I believe fully that these will be a 1-2 or a 4-5 depending on whether the glasses are uncomfortable. As for programs, yeah-not great selection. There is a website that is dedicated to 3D-afying stuff though to get a better experience. I don't know if any other reviewers listed it, but I will here: http://helixmod.blogspot.com/

This will help with a lot of non-native games.