|Print List Price:||$9.99|
Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price set by seller.
The Name of the Star (The Shades of London Book 1) Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 387 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration with Whispersync for Voice. Add narration for a reduced price of $3.99 when you buy the Kindle book.
|Age Level: 12 and up|
|Grade Level: 7 and up|
- Book 1 of 3 in The Shades of London (3 Book Series)
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Maureen Johnson's The Name of the Star is a fascinating and unique book! It is a bit different from her earlier, humor-driven work, but the writing is just as good as ever, and while the book isn't necessary serious, the mystery of the brutal deaths and the threat to Rory does have a bit of a sobering effect. That being said, there is still a lot of great humor in The Name of the Star, and some fantastic, quirky characters that entertain to no end. Rory is an excellent narrator--she's hardworking, funny, loyal, and when the going gets tough, she's a pretty noble person, even if the circumstances terrify her. The boarding school setting is a great one, with lots of fun and drama, and it's the perfect location for the Rippermania to take place.Read more ›
The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson stars Rory, a teen from Louisiana, who goes to London to attend school. She is quickly met with headlines proclaiming there is a new Jack the Ripper serial killer on the loose. While Rory is trying to maneuver living with a roommate and crushing on a cute guy who also is obsessed with Jack, the killer seems to be aware of her in a scary way. Things get a bit more paranormal, but I'll let the reader discover that for themselves.
I really enjoyed the writing of this book. The setting and mood were very London-ish and the book was well researched. I loved Rory and her crazy family back in Louisiana, and I enjoyed getting to know some of the supporting cast, which I won't go into as to not spoil any readers.
I agree with some of the other reviewers that in the middle it seems to stagnate a bit, and I thought this a solid four star novel for a while. Not to mention, the romance seemed pretty lackluster. But with a paranormal plot twist, and a terrific ending-- the only way it could have ended--I was impressed enough to give it another half star.
I believe Johnson is just getting started and is a promising new writer, and I'll definitely be picking up the next installment.
Was going to a British boarding school ever one of your dreams? If, like me, your answer is yes, then you're really going to enjoy the setting of this book. Not only is this boarding school co-ed, it's also in London, and the history of the building itself is super interesting. You get a lot of insight into how the school system works in England. It's really rigorous! Still, I would've loved to have gone to school there! Minus the murdering suspect, of course.
The crime spree is pretty gruesome, and the spectacle created by the media and the public was really believable. However, I did not find myself on the edge of my seat until things started happening to our protagonist. Once that happened, I was just as scared as her! One thing I loved was how funny Rory was at times, and also the smart, funny banter between her and her roommate and The Boy. There are some really cute flirty moments. I loved how Maureen described kissing in this excerpt:
"Kissing is something that makes up for a lot of the other crap you have to put up with in school, and as a teenager in general. It can be confusing and weird and awkward, but sometimes it just makes you melt and forget everything that is going on. You could be in a burning building or a bus about to fall off a cliff. It doesn't matter, because you are just a puddle." - pg. 282
So you read that part about the secret ghost police in the synopsis, right? I must confess, after they're introduced, I kept singing "Who you gonna call? GhostBusters!" in my head. Not that anything in the book directly relates to GhostBusters...well, except maybe the ghost busting part. Don't get me wrong! I dug it!!Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I really did not like this book. The first quarter of the book was very good and kept me interested, until the plot got into all this ghost stuff. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
Love Ms. Johnson's voice. Love the characters. Love the story. An American teen in school in London. Ghosts. Jack the Ripper. What else do you need?Published 1 month ago by Carol Collett
Really loved the voice on this one, and such a totally unique premise. Highly recommend!Published 2 months ago by Meghan
Five stars is probably a little high for a YA book when compared to all the books ever written, but if you focus in on Teen/YA and more specifically paranormal YA, this one really... Read morePublished 2 months ago by Noelle M.
An incredibly fun and equally creepy read. I found this to be a very enjoyable book. Great characters, great setting, and a great story line. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Bes
What a great read! I was so involved with this book and it's main character, I did NOT see what was coming at the end!Published 5 months ago by Karmen (bookyesican)
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Children's Books > Geography & Cultures > Explore the World > Europe
- Books > Children's Books > Mysteries & Detectives
- Books > Children's Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy & Magic
- Books > Children's Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Spine-Chilling Horror
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Mysteries & Thrillers > Fantasy & Supernatural
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Mysteries & Thrillers > Historical
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Mysteries & Thrillers > Mystery & Detective
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Mysteries & Thrillers > Romantic
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Paranormal & Urban
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Horror
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Geography & Cultures > Explore the World > Europe
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Geography & Cultures > Explore the World > Fiction > Europe & Russia
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Mysteries & Detectives > Fantasy & Supernatural
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Science Fiction, Fantasy & Scary Stories > Fantasy & Magic > Paranormal & Urban
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Science Fiction, Fantasy & Scary Stories > Scary Stories
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Horror
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Mysteries & Thrillers > Fantasy & Supernatural
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Paranormal & Urban