Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning _fab _fab _fab  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$1.98+ $3.99 shipping

Showing 1-10 of 43 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 56 reviews
on March 11, 2010
I was looking for a book that would teach me well grounded, scientific nutrition. The kind of book where I could learn what a nutritionist might learn in school. This book does just that. No fad stuff in here. She actually has a small section where she talks about the most common fad diets today, and points out their short comings(and even their strengths if they have any). I love how the book was organized to teach how to eat daily, before an event, during events, and after events. Some info on eating to lose weight, but this is not really a "diet" book, though I think even those looking to lose weight could benefit from this book. There is also info on how to gain weight if that is what you are looking for.
on September 18, 2013
If you truly want a good health nutrition book with all the newest research check out Grain Brain. This book (Nancy Clark) will lead you down the wrong path with thinking a high carb, low fat diet is best. The book Grain Brain will amaze you and do so much more for you.
on May 10, 2008
I recommend this book to everyone. Although Nancy Clark calls it a Sport's Nutrition Guidebook, this is really a guide on the way everybody should eat in order to be healthy. She begins by giving general guidelines on what eating every day should be like. She explains why everything is important: carbs, protein, fat, sugar, dairy. Then she goes on to explain what it is each of these types of food does in the body and how and why we should eat them. She also explains how to eat and when to eat. It is an extremely detailed book where you get a whole new outlook on food. There's also some great chapters with recipes.
on October 23, 2013
As a personal trainer and health and physical education teacher, I've been studying nutrition for over forty years. Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook is FILLED with sound advice for making the most of your exercise program with good nutrition. I recommend it to my over-fifty strength training clients, especially the section on Nutrient Timing, which clearly explains how to refuel with the correct proportion of carbs to protein after a workout. Highly recommended.
on September 5, 2013
I heard about this book in the runners connect podcast. This is truly a reference book I am going to keep around no matter forever. This book can help those who just have a hard time balancing your diet. I love the fact that if I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas for my meal planning that I can just pick up this book and figure it out asap.. Additionally, I feel so much better afterwards! I was having a hard time balancing my diet with having to actively working in 90 plus weather and running 20 plus miles a week. Now I have the information that I need so I don't have to go through the energy crashes, and feeling like I need to turn to junk food and bad into bad habits. When planning my food inventory at home I have what I need for my energy needs rather than what looked good on the store shelf, or sounded good in my stomach.
on September 30, 2008
I am very happy with this book. This book is very complete and really well organized. It was recommended to me by both my personal trainer and my Cycle class instructor (also a personal trainer). I am not an athlete but I do an hour or two of fitness work nearly every day at the gym. I was glad to see lots of information for my level of fitness and as well as my fitness program. Book discusses not just what to eat but how much, and ratios, and the whys of each. I think this book is useful and helpful no matter how little or how great your level of sports and fitness activity.
on February 24, 2009
The book is well written with easy to understand concepts. You do not have to be a dietician to understand what Ms. Clark is talking about. The ideas apply to everyone, not just athletes. Granted, there is some in depth information for athletes regarding breakdown of food groups and timing of meals and snacks. No gimmicks here or selling of the latest and greatest "diet". Just solid nutrition!
on October 3, 2013
Highly recommend this book for any age or level of athlete. Great guidance on general nutrition plus added information for different levels of athlete. Like that she doesn't push supplements. Also, focuses on nutrition and not dieting. In following her, I have lost weight, reduced body fat and feel more energetic!
on April 23, 2013
I absolutely LOVE this book! My job requires tons of outdoor physical activity, so I've been looking for new nutrition ideas to boost my energy levels throughout the day and still have enough energy left to workout. Nancy Clark does an excellent job with this book by mkaing the concepts easy to understand and fueling you with knoweledge you can apply right away! Enjoy this treasure! :)
on May 17, 2012
Hello, I am a racquet sports competitive athlete with daily training and games. I hold a B.Sc., M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in biosciences.
As I implied in the title, I am reviewing the book against other more modern titles such as the new title around there called "Advanced Sports Nutririon". Compared to these new titles Nancy Clark's work seems old and rather informal. The book can be qualified as a giant pamphlet instead of a serious sports nutrition book. The book has very very few references, this give me the idea that the book is almost completely the inspiration of Nancy Clark with the obvious risk of skewness of only one source of information. The frontal competitor of this book (Adv.Sports.Nut) has a bunch of serious, robust references of prestigious journals; new and robust knowledge is the product of a knowledge-compilation of several authors and not the opinions of only one author.
Another flaw of this book relies in the fact that the book is always very general, it never focuses in a particular segment of sport enthusiasts. You never now if the author is referring to occasional gym visitors, serious players or elite athletes, so confusing!
If you are serious about your healthy nutrition go and look elsewhere...