Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nancy Drew: The Captive Curse [Download]
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

on June 23, 2012
Great game! Very scary! I jumped several times, and squinted my eyes so I could barely see several more. ^^ The game's puzzles were nice because usually I have to use a guide to beat them, but this time I was able to figure them out myself.
The story was great and the characters were pretty good, though I wish there were more of them to suspect.
Despite being a fun ride, the game was pretty short. I beat it in two nights, which would be worth the sale price of $7 like most of the ND games, but not the new-game price of $20 because there is only 1 possible ending. I suggest purchase if you have a coupon or gift card, or if the game is on sale.
on January 4, 2013
I don't know why everyone else seemed to think this game "to difficult", I am a 21 year old woman and I thought it was an extremely fun challenge! If you are a young child than I could definitely see how it may be to difficult but otherwise..

*Characters*
The characters in this game are so much more note-worthy than any other Nancy Drew game that I have played! It was such a breath of fresh air that there are so many different choices of dialogue rather than one typical response. Your relationship with the characters even depends on the dialogue that you pick-- you can be rude and get turned away-- be friendly and get more information! It was so exciting to go back and try the different dialogue! It is also important to note that you can talk to the characters in the game on a level as a friend--about personal things, advice, ect. Some might find this irritating but I think it really adds dimension to the characters.

It was also seen in this game that the characters have MOVEMENT with their dialogue that actually matches what they are saying. The facial expressions were beautiful, believable, and made the game so much more enjoyable. For example, you and a little boy named Lukas would crawl underneath a table to speak secrets which was just so cute.

*Nancy's Cellphone*
Ned (Nancy's Boyfriend) briefly comes into this game as more than just someone to give hints too. They actually have a bit of a spat over the phone in the beginning and you have to work through that in the game. I think it gives it a nice real world touch! It was also neat that you have the cell phone camera option to use in this game and can show the pictures to charactrs in this game.

*Setting*
The setting takes place in a HUGE beautiful castle, dark scary woods, and a whole system of underground passages and dungeons. However, unlike other Nancy Drew games you really don't get lost as much and although it is "dark" you still have pretty good field of vision! I liked that there was SO much to explore and it was all very German authentic. The castle even has this wonderful gift shop and you can buy things like t-shirts, dolls, pins, ect. They don't add anything to the game its just fun to get the award at the end!

*Extra-Cirriculars*
There are two characters in the game that have board games that you can play with them! These games are so fun, I kid you not I spent 2-3 hours playing these games with the characters because they were so addicting! You could even choose whether you wanted easy, meduim, or hard and it was fun to try the different ones out!
on March 1, 2015
I hadn't played one of these games in quite a while and did some extensive research in deciding which one to buy. The ratings for this one seemed the best so I went with it. Overall, the graphics for this game were great. I had similar problems with the download that others have mentioned (something about DirectX not installing) but I went to the HER website where they have a free patch that fixes the problem and it worked great after that.

As far as the play of the game...sad to say I was a little bored with this one. It seemed like a lot of wondering around and talking to people without many puzzles. Numerous times I ran out of things to do and couldn't figure a way to trigger the next sequence of events. The hints in the game seemed to focus on things I'd already figured out. It was just lacking a bit of continuity I guess. Also the physical space for the game (it takes place in a German castle) got to be a little cumbersome with little reason. Many places never needed to be explored but I still had to constantly navigate them to get from one place to the next (though this is a trend in Nancy Drew games).

The action of this game did tend to pick up more towards the end and the plot was well developed and the characters interesting and likable. Overall, a fairly good game but not one I'd play again and not very memorable.
on December 3, 2014
I recently played Warnings at Waverly Academy, and the Captive Curse was definitely an improvement over that game. Unlike Waverly, it had a good strong plot, interesting culture, and good characters. The atmosphere in this game was excellent; with the ornate graphics and beautiful music, there were many times that I had to shake my head a little and remind myself that I was sitting in front of my computer, rather than actually exploring a spooky German castle. I also liked the complexity of each of the characters. There was strong character development with each of them, and they were all lively, interesting people. The puzzles were great as well. Many of them involved learning German words, which was a particularly nice touch. The ending of this game was nice too. I was completely surprised by the identity of the culprit, and my emotions were manipulated very well, since the culprit acts out cruelly toward another character that I liked.

So, you may ask, if it was so good, why not five stars? I had to dock points from this game for one major reason. I got hopelessly stuck a couple times toward the end of the game, only to find that the “triggers” needed for me to progress were very silly things that would never have occurred to me in a million years. This, in my opinion, has always been one of the major flaws of the series. The game designers very often assume that certain things are obvious when they really aren’t. As I said in my review of Warnings at Waverly Academy, I think that HerInteractive would be smart to invest in some more extensive beta testing, because it doesn’t look to me like they’re doing enough of it. Although this was a good experience, I shamefacedly confess that my curiosity and desire to progress in the story overtook my desire to solve it all by myself, and I eventually broke down and looked at online hints. Although I freely admit that this was a fault of my own, I do feel that HerInteractive should do a better job at keeping the player engaged, so that they don’t become bored and resort to hints. People more quick witted than myself would probably have a better time with this game.

So, on the whole…pretty good game. I would recommend buying it.
on July 31, 2016
Total waste of money if you have windows 10!! Could not get it to download and my fiance...who knows way more than I do about computers tried for over an hour. Definitely would recommend downloading the free 30 minute trial before spending money on the actual game like I did. Hard lesson learned. :(
on December 29, 2013
I was very excited to play this game, and it is a great price, however, if your direct X version is too new, it will not run. You will spend your life re-downloading and re-installing to no avail. If you get the error, ask for your money back and save yourself 4 more hours of headache.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2014
Nancy drew traveling to different countries to solve mysteries have been consistently better games, a cut above the rest.
I think this game was especially fun, and a great game to start with -if you are just new to the series, or just a compliment to your growing library of nancy drew games.
on February 10, 2013
This game had the things that make an ND game good. Lots of places to explore, fun tasks that were just easy enough yet hard enough, and a cool cast of chracters.

I wish I could have gone to sleep then met villagers in the courtyard, but other than that, it was great!
on January 24, 2016
I REALLY enjoyed the Captive Curse! The characters were excellent, the plot flowed very nicely, there was enough area to explore while keeping it contained and under control; there were plenty of things to do without puzzles being too ridiculously hard. Lots of sleuthing with lots to discover, which is just what I want out of a Nancy Drew game. Overall it deserves a 5 star rating!
on December 6, 2015
This was really enjoyable. Beautiful graphics, interesting story line, good puzzles - with the exception of one at the very end. (And I suppose it could be considered a good puzzle - I just had to get help with it.) A couple of spots that made me jump, but nothing too scary. I recommend this one.