Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 33 reviews
on February 7, 2006
After seeing the movie "Nanny McPhee," my six-year-old daughter and I couldn't wait to read the book it was based on. We weren't disappointed. The Brown children in the book really are terribly, TERRIBLY naughty, maybe even worse than the children in the movie. There are more of them, too - a seemingly endless number; thus more opportunities for naughtiness.

I love this book because it makes it clear that even while she's teaching the children to behave, Nurse Matilda loves them not just in spite of their naughtiness, but because of it. The ineffectual parents are pretty funny, too. And the illustrations by Edward Ardizzone couldn't be more charming.

Be prepared for questions about Britishisms - e.g., the children eat swedes and roly-poly pudding with treacle, and the Baby wears a nappy. It all adds to the atmosphere.
on September 26, 2011
My great-granddaughter and I watched the Nanny McPhee movies while I was visiting her one day. I saw the name of the author whose stories they were based on, so ordered the book for her. Nurse Matilda is the Nanny of last resort for desperate parents of badly behaved children! She makes them behave, and eventually makes them love her. A funny book that also teaches good behavior, by showing how naughty behavior can backfire.
Clever illustrations, too!
on March 17, 2015
Bought the book after watching both Nanny McPhee movies with the kids. We all enjoyed the movies so much, I wanted to read the book that inspired such marvelous characters and amusing stories. I was curious to see if the movie left out any nuggets that are usually difficult to translate into the big screen. I was disappointed! In my opinion, the movies were much better adaptations of original - lifting all the best bits and leaving out the rest.
on October 23, 2010
I love this book. The stories are unique and creative. One review I read was disappointed because the book wasn't the same as the Nanny McPhee movies but they obviously didn't actually read the book because it is every bit as similar to the movie as any other novel turned movie. I suppose they were too hung up on the idea that they changed her name from Nurse Matilda to Nanny McPhee. My kids are a bit young, but I have every intention of reading this to them when they are a few years older.
on January 15, 2014
I read this entire book to my son when he was a small child as a bunch of small bedtime stories. Its Perfect for that. He still talks about the funny stories about the bad little children.
on December 29, 2014
We enjoyed all 3 stories and comparing them with Nanny McPhee DVDs.
on February 22, 2016
Thought it would be a good read aloud for my students....it's not
on March 5, 2011
I didn't personally read this collection of stories, my 10 year old did...in record time too. He loved that the stories were funny, which held his attention throughout the entire book. Inspiration for the Nanny McPhee movies, I would say that the magical whimsy of these original stories would be enjoyed by everyone.
on March 23, 2015
The tales are so similar they seem almost repetitive. The movie was a lot better.
on August 30, 2014
Best movie that we all enjoyed