Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 88 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 108 reviews
on February 22, 2016
I have been a die-hard fan of TMBG since "Flood" was released 1990. The band has evolved considerably since then and overall they've held up, although with less geeky surrealism. With "Nanobots," they are breaking new ground entirely and there are only dim echos of "Lincoln" and "Flood" by this time.

My own perception is strongly colored by expectations, so I found the album to be disappointing. I found other recent works like "Follow Us," and "The Else" more accessible. If you are a solid TMBG fan, it's worth a listen. If you are a newcomer, this might be the best thing you've ever heard. Or you'll hate it. In any case, it's hard to feel neutral about it.
on December 6, 2013
When you first hear music by They Might Be Giants, you listen because the lyrics are funny. But something more subtle grabs you after the laughs wear off. Linnell and Flansburgh have an unusual but profound grasp of musical harmony. They put instruments and vocals into strange melodies that get inside your brain and never come out.

That all happened for me when I was a tweenager. I became familiar with some albums that came before (Pink Album, Lincoln, Miscellaneous T, Flood) and began following their stuff as it came out (Apollo 18, John Henry, Factory Showroom). Somewhere around the late 1990s I lost track of their work, mostly because it seemed they were focusing educational songs, which didn't interest me.

Fast forward to 2013, and I look at tracks from those old albums that still sit in my library. TMBG are still making music, aren't they? It looks like they're not focusing educational stuff. Should I take a risk on buying one of their new albums? The Amazon mp3 download is super cheap, so why the heck not. I went for it.

I was *NOT* disappointed. Nanobots is so freaking good. Where to start?

Of course, I don't like all of the tracks on this album, but that's pretty normal. I do like most of them, so I'll spend a few words on the ones I enjoy most.

1. "You're on Fire"
A catchy, soft-rocking opening number. Tries to warn someone that his head is on fire, but then admires him for having a combustible head.

2. "Nanobots"
The album's titular track, similarly catchy soft-rocky with Rastafarian-style background voices and occasional small brass. Encourages the grey goo.

5. "Circular Karate-Chop"
I love the background vocals in this track about dealing with a high-school bully who just happens to be practiced in Karate.

6. "Call You Mom"
Music something like a 1950's beach bar, lyrics about... I just can't spoil it. It's too good.

8. "Sleep"
On the album Flood, there was a short song titled "Minimum Wage" that was 47 seconds of nothing but a man singing the title, cracking a whip, and then a musical outro. "Sleep" reminds me of that, but it has more character. Way more. So much that it's scary.

11. "Destroy the Past"
And on the album Apollo 18, there was a... thing, a very weird thing called "Fingertips," a rapid succession of 20 tracks that were mostly less than 10 seconds long, all of which were in drastically different musical types. Nanobots has a few tracks in that style, and "Destroy the Past" is the first of them. I like them all.

20. "Darlings of Lumberland"
Easily my favorite track, and maybe my new single favorite piece of TMBG music. It's unusual even for them, with creepy vocals intertwined with sections of strong wind instruments, including flute, trombone, oboe and even saxophone. The music evokes the image of a 1920s gangster in suit and fedora taking care of business down in the Big Easy... though the lyrics have nothing to do with that.

There is a lot more I think worthwhile on this album, but I'll spare anyone from reading more of my inept musical analysis. It suffices to say: When I hit that "buy" button, I was afraid TMBG was no longer the band that made so much music I enjoyed in my younger years. I was wrong to fear that. Nanobots is every bit as good as my favorite tracks from the albums I listed above.

For the piddly cost of an Amazon mp3 purchase? More than worth it. Biggest bang-for-the-musical-buck I've gotten in a long, long time.
on January 21, 2016
Although all TMBG albums have the band's unique style, I've found that they tend to release 3 types of albums: more 'commercial' ones, ones for kids, and more artistic ones where they absolutely REVEL in their strangeness. The third type is definitely my favorite, and Nanobots is a strong entry in this category.

As in all albums, a couple of the tracks are 'misses', but overall it reminds me a lot of their album 'Apollo 18', in a very good way. A must have for TMBG fans. If you're new to the band, I'd start with 'Apollo 18' first, and then move on to here.

Great album!
on October 1, 2013
Nanobots is the newest album from nerd-rock veterans They Might Be Giants. For twenty-five years, TMBG have been on the music scene, becoming a house-hold name despite still being a relatively underground band. If you've followed them since their early days of "Ana Ng" and "Birdhouse in Your Soul", then you will not be disappointed. By now, TMBG is a band either you love or hate; you 'get' or 'don't get'.

I give this album 4/5 stars because despite being yet another awesome album by TMBG, there is no new ground being broken. Songs "Nanobots" and "Tesla" are instant hits. The songs towards the end of the album are reminiscent of "Fingertips" from the Apollo 18 album. Overall, it's a fun album!
on September 10, 2017
TMBG has a very unique sound. This album is good. I have enjoyed listening to it several times.
on September 3, 2013
As with most new albums, and especially true with TMBG, you need to experience it more than once. I would have only given it maybe 2 stars after the first listen. With every listen, it gained a star! I am glad to say that this album has exceeded my first impression and has become again another favorite from the Boys of Brooklyn! Rock on guys! You never cease to excite and amaze at how your music is so catchy, whimsical, and enjoyable. I love NANOBOTS, all songs and lyrics. My favorite? I would have to say Stone cold Coup Deta!
on May 25, 2013
I first heard the single "Call You Mom" earlier in 2013 and thought it was great. Now I'm not giving this five stars because I'm a loyal fan, but because this is actually a great record. It's not my favorite album by They, but it grows on me every time I listen to it. 25 songs really keeps your attention throughout the album. The first thing I noticed was that Nanobots follows in the footsteps of Join Us, their last album, which was also amazing. Anyway, if you're a TMBG fan, it's a no-brainer: Why haven't you picked this up yet?!
on October 5, 2014
Very enjoyable. The only reason I'm giving it four stars instead of five is that it felt a little too much like a return to older albums -- I got a strong "Flood meets Apollo 18" feel from the album, rather than the trailblazing stuff that I'm used to. But make no mistake, it's all very good.
on January 21, 2014
I love this album. My last.fm stats say I've listened to it 42 times as of this writing (yikes). I got tired of Black Ops and Didn't Kill Me pretty fast, but every other song is fantastic. For me, 9 Secret Steps is in the all-time Top 5 for TMBG tracks. Great melody and deep lyrics. I think this is their most varied album to-date.
on April 7, 2014
My husband is a huge fan, so I got this for his birthday. We listen to it a lot. I've heard many of their other songs (and I'm not always impressed), but these are my favorite! I'm not always in the mood for TMBG, but I actually look forward to listening to this CD. The price is great, the songs are great, the sound quality is great. What more do you need? Get it! You won't be sorry.