Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 12, 2007 1:23:15 PM PDT
Imislund says:
I am very very disgusted that C.J. Critt is once again NOT the narrator for Stephanie Plum!!! L. King totally makes the characters sound like they are stupid. GgRrrr... Pam

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2007 5:32:14 PM PDT
R. Shimel says:
i totally agree!! c.j. critt is THE best reader! she makes every character have a unique voice, but King sounds very flat and monotone when she reads. I wish, wish, wish they would bring back c.j. critt!! it makes listening to evanovich's books so much fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2007 12:22:11 PM PDT
Kivrin says:
L. King sounds like she is from the midwest(I am from the midwest, and that's not how Jersey talks). It's amazing how much a narrator can ruin a perfectly excellent book.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2007 4:23:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2007 4:25:22 PM PDT
M. Robertson says:
I totally agree. King's interpretation of Grandma Mazur, Lula and Ranger make me cringe. I used to purchase every Plum book in Hardback and Audio. Now I just purchase hardback. Even my library quit ordering the audio version after the first King narration.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2007 3:29:45 PM PDT
H. Smith says:
We probably won't hear Critt in the future, since Evanovich and King have cozy co-authoring credits on recent works. A great loss!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2007 12:49:21 PM PDT
I TOTALLY disagree!!! Lorelei is great and hysterical!!! She makes Stephanie waaaay sexier and is much more versatile than CJ!!! I've been checking audiorenaissance.com every day to hear a clip!!! Can't wait till June 19th!!! LK RULEZ!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2007 8:03:17 PM PDT
I totally agree with your opinion of King. She ruined 12 for me with her terrible narration and her really canned presentations of the other characters. I liked the person who did 3. She had a great accent and she could deliver a line. Something that King CANNOT do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2007 5:45:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2007 5:47:27 PM PDT
P. Olson says:
I agree with Narrator Grrrr. Apparently Holly Pepperpint hasn't heard a Jersey accent. It is as distinguishable as a Boston accent or the "you bet'chas" from Minnesota. LK doesn't cut it. Thank goodness for the audio sample, now I won't waste my money.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2007 7:05:18 AM PDT
Nitenurse says:
i like L. King's narration...had to return the ones she didn't narrate...but really, these characters are, well, kind of stupid.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2007 6:59:44 AM PDT
critters says:
I have to say that, as much as I LOVE the books, I don't care for L. King's reading of them either. I've never listened to C.J. Critt.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2007 1:37:07 PM PDT
GrizzlyAdams says:
A born and bred Jersey girl must comment here. WE DO NOT ALL HAVE harsh, discernible accents here. Only a small percentage us folks, mainly those of us from up in North Jersey, have an accent. This is a huge stereotype that just isn't the case. Sorry, but it's the truth. Oh, I'm not saying that you won't hear the bada bings and all that if you drive though Jersey, but it just isn't as prevalent as many people think. I suppose it's just another good old stereotype, something that JE knows a little something about.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2007 3:33:27 AM PDT
A. P. Fry says:
Dawn, Lori Petty narrated the first three commercial audio books. Debbie Mazar did four through six of the commercial audio. All six of these are abridged versions. The unabridged versions, originally produced for libraries, were narrated by C.J. Critt.

My personal favorite was Tanya Eby, who did Seven Up. Maybe because it was the first Plum I listened to, Eby completely created the character for me. Lorelei King is awful (see my review). Any of the prior readers would be far, far better choices. Petty got the "I'm vulnerable but trying to cover" part of Stephanie perfectly. Mazar nailed the tough girl part and Eby got the goofy, zany part cold. None were absolutely perfect but all blow King out of the water. Beyond the lack of accent, bizarre timing and mispronunciation of ordinary words is the whining. The constant whine that is King's Stephanie is unbearable.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2007 10:34:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 13, 2007 10:38:32 AM PDT
PTW says:
C. J. Critt is amazing. Even when I read Evanovich, it's C. J.'s voices I hear in my head. I enjoy her so much that I've gone on to other authors that she performs...Margaret Maron's Deborah Knott series, and Chloe Green's Dallas O'Connor series, and Linda Barnes' Carlotta Carlyle series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2007 10:41:39 AM PDT
T Behen says:
I agree the switch of narration from C.J. Critt is a mistake, the characters have so much more personality with Critt reading than with King, I was very disappointed with Eleven, found the characters very flat, especially Grandma Mazur and Plum.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2007 9:55:27 AM PDT
critters says:
Since I can't reply to my own post, I have to say that I've listened to every UNabridged copy I can get my paws on for a reasonable price ($75 a copy does NOT count as reasonable). CJ Critt is fine, and Lorelei King has grown on me. According to http://www.evanovich.com/main_faq.html CJ can't do them because of contract.

I'd be happy to find the early books rereleased in UNabridged form; they're available at Recorded Books, but I'm reluctant to set up another account.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2007 2:21:07 PM PST
Aquaria says:
CJ Critt most likely won't narrate another Stephanie Plum. Janet Evanovich personally requested Lorelei King to read the books. She liked the way King read the UK audio books. King has narrated 9 of the 15 books in the series. That says something.

I don't find King flat or monotone, much less "stupid." If anything, she makes the characters (especially Stephanie) sound far smarter than they actually are. She does a wonderful Morelli (sounds just like I heard him in my head). CJ Critt's Morelli sounded like a 16-year-old punk, not a sexy thirty-something cop.

I liked CJ Critt, but I find Ms. King more enjoyable. Quite frankly, she has a bigger range of voices that are a lot more distinctive. In some parts of One for the Money when CJ Critt narrated, I couldn't tell who was saying what, and had to listen a few times (or, worse, consult the actual book) to find out who was saying specific things. I never have that problem with King.

I've heard some of the other readers, and King and Critt are the best ones. But I like King the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2008 2:00:38 PM PST
Missy Hoppe says:
I agree. L. King is by far the best reader for the Stephanie Plum books. I would love to find a way to get books 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 unabridged

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2008 3:02:14 PM PST
Green Wise says:
L. King was a choice made by Janet. In an interview on one of her audio books she explained why she liked King and made the request for her to do all future audio books. I love the interviews at the end of her audios, they are very insightful. From memory and paraphrasing the basic reason Janet requested King is because she was clear, had good range and she didn't want Steph to have the sterotypical Jersey girl accent. She did not want the narration to overwhelm the readers perception of the characters either. I don't mind L. King, she is not my favorite but not my least favorite-oh my did you guys listen to 7? (talk about nails to chalkboard). I liked D. Mazar but don't like abriged versions. Luckily I can just check them out from the library.

By the way crystal-angel-I think you can get 1-6 unabringed versions, if you go to Janets web page www.evanovich.com she has links.

Posted on Sep 16, 2009 7:09:14 AM PDT
SueSeaQ says:
King puts me on the side of the road laughing.... I find I have to adjust when I'm listening to books by other authors, read by other narrators... I am truly disappointed when it's not King!

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 1:40:39 PM PDT
So I just received a reality check when I inserted Seven Up in my CD player, and found out that my Library only carries the Seven Up read by King. I want Seven Up narrated by CJ Critt. Does that exist, or is it only read by King?

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 6:42:42 PM PST
asassyvic says:
Gracious me, how harsh we are, I think Critt is alright, a good narrator, but Ms. King does such a great job with the characters, her voice is clear, individual and gives very distinctive voices for each person, and as far as the New Jersey accent goes, I've been to N.J. and everyone I talked to didn't have any particular N.J. accent. I ate in a darling little cafe and no one around me, nor the help had any accent. So I have to agree with Jersey Shore. Lorelei King does a great narration.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 11:30:23 AM PST
D. M. McGrue says:
AMEN!

Posted on Jun 23, 2013 8:48:46 AM PDT
Jenna22 says:
I started listening to L. King's narration in a newer book in the series and fell in love with her narration. I went back and listened to an earlier book by CJ or whoever that was and couldn't get past chapter one, ugh... Horrible, all the voices sounded alike. I was born and bred in NJ and I think Lorelei is Spot On! Yay for Janet insisting she do all her books. Wish she would go back and re-do them all!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2013 4:47:14 PM PDT
I just recently started listening to the Plum series and King is awful. When you are an avid listener and the characters take on their personalities through the narrator it is beyond irritating when it changes. Critt makes each character an individual. Ranger & Morelli are hot, King makes them annoying. I skipped 7 when I heard Kings voice, now on eleven and disappointed again. Was going to also skip but have now found that the next several are also King, what a shame!!!!

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 2:36:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 27, 2013 2:37:18 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  32
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Apr 12, 2007
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Lean Mean Thirteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel
Lean Mean Thirteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel by Janet Evanovich (Hardcover - June 1, 2007)
4.3 out of 5 stars (776)