Naruto: Volume One
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- 13 original and uncut episodes on three discs
- Includes original audio tracks and original series soundtracks
- Japanese with optional English subtitles or English dubbed
- Storyboards booklet
Top Customer Reviews
The character of Naruto is a young ninja-in-training. His village once fought a terrible beast, the "Nine-Tailed Fox", and the only way to defeat it was to trap its soul in the body of an infant. That infant was Naruto.
His parents died in the battle and years later, Naruto finds himself a complete outcast from society. No family, no friends, and a village that doesn't seem to know he exists. He doesn't know the Nine-Tailed fox is imprisoned in him but the villagers all know and they shun him for the fear it causes them.
Naruto decides that the only way he's going to get the recognition he craves is to become the greatest ninja ever known.
Unfortunately for Naruto, his ninja skills are a bit, well, lacking. He is woefully inept at even the most basic ninja skills. Powers easily grasped by other trainees are difficult for him.
However, Naruto has several powerful strengths:
1) He has nearly unlimited energy. All ninjas use "chakra" (sort of like "spirit energy") to do special moves and Naruto seems to have more of it than anyone, thanks to the hidden power of the Nine-Tailed Fox.
2) He never gives up. Long past the point where anyone else would have quit, Naruto will keep trying.
3) Having grown up largely without family or friends, he takes great stock in his newfound campanions picked up in ninja school. Naruto is at his most powerful when his friends are in danger, and the full power of the Nine-Tailed Fox tends to manifest at that point.
4) Naruto has great charisma, of a type.Read more ›
Don't get me wrong -- I fully understand the financial and practical value of releasing a dub version in order to reach the widest possible market. I understand that there are many people who just don't care to read the dialog instead of listen to it. And others who just don't want their pictures cluttered up with words.
But there are still those (like me) who want their anime as close to the original form as possible; uncut and in the original language, and with the original seiyuu (voice actor's) performances intact. So if that's what you're looking for, oh Reader Of This Review, RUN out and buy this set as soon as you can. The translation is good (well... except for "believe it", *sigh* Okay, okay... I can ignore that), the presentation fine and you get a nice bonus in the story-board booklet. But most importantly you get the whole the story of Naruto as originally intended... not just the parts deemed 'safe enough' for general American audiences.
Thank you, Viz, for giving us Naruto fans that much respect - and a choice. I, for one, eagerly await the release of the next set in this uncut series -- money in hand.
...I only wish the ONE PIECE anime could get this same respectful treatment as well. *cries*
2008 EDIT: Yes, this has both a dubbed English track and the Japanese language track with English subtitles. And yes, Funimation does have One Piece and promises us an un-cut release later this month. Woo hoo! Let the Pirate vs. Ninja wars really heat up!
This would be a great deal and worth getting if Naruto ended at episode 50. Unfortunatly the series is REALLY long (and ongoing) as well as loaded with slowely paced episodes which makes the box set not worth its price.
As the review before says, it ends right at the zabuza fight which is where Naruto actually gets interesting.
Just think about it, the best parts in Naruto are around the first 110 episodes, at 40 bucks for 13 episodes thats around 340 dollars! not to mention the series is well over 200 episodes now.
But, the series is amazing. If you're a big fan (like me) maybe you wont mind dishing out that much money for naruto... However, I managed to get a good discount on them which is why im even considering it. It was inevitable that the producers would take advantage of the ongoing Naruto fad.
I would probably wait off until they release more episodes on DVD and make a savings account to afford them when the all come out. That way you wont be left on any cliff hangers =)
On a note about the series, the characters all have there own issues. The hero of this story, if you can call him that, is Naruto a hyperactive ninja who wants to do well but keep getting in his own way. He is flanked by his two fellow genin ninja Sasuke and Sakura. Who are both are really good at what they do but have some social issues they need to work out. Mainly when dealing with Naruto. Sasuke wants to be the best and restore his family honor so he really doesn't pay attention to the other ninjas. Where as Sakura thinks Sasuke is the hotting this ever, and she wants to date him. The problem is he not interested, and what makes it all worst is that Naruto has the hots for Sakura. Their teacher is my personally favorite character Kakashi Hatake. Who attitude for teaching is unusually at best, but seems to work for these kids. These first episodes are the usual set up ones to get you use to all the characters. The real fun stuff starts at the end of these disc. I would personally advice switching back and forth from English to Japanese just cause certain characters sound better in each languages. I like the Japanese Naruto over the American one just cause his voice is a bit grading in the American one. Other than that if you like Japanese amine this is a great series to get in to.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I was thrilled when I saw this available on prime. But then I go and take a "break" and all of a sudden it's no longer available unless you pay for it. Really? Read morePublished 13 months ago by Aly
I wish it was back on prime so I could see the remainder of this season.Published 15 months ago by Tabitha coleman
Customers Also Watched on Amazon Video
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Animation
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Anime
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Anime & Manga
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Animation
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials