Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 137 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 167 reviews
on August 15, 2015
I'm going to make this brief. If you like Natalie Merchant, you're going to like this CD. There a few songs that I do not resonate too, which is a disappointment, but overall, the vibe and sound are there, and I am happy she released some new music after a long wait. She has been one of my favorite voices to listen to ever since the days of 10,000 Maniacs.
on March 18, 2015
Classic Natalie Merchant. You will love the CD if your into the sound of Muddy Waters Blues! It contains some catchy hooks and choruses. Little depressing, but then again that's what makes the Blues the Blues. Enjoy!
on June 5, 2014
Never a big fan of 10,000 maniacs, but Natalie's voice and lyrics draw me in. Tigerlilly and Motherland are both exception albums but for 13 years the only recorded output was folk covers and nursery-stories, to have Natalie back writing original music is a long awaited surprise. One of the highlights is "go down moses" a powerful but dated song about New Orleans during Katrina where she instructs Moses to part the muddy water and lead his people over, not a religious song but an allegory. There's no way around it, if you like her previous work, you'll want this.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 7, 2014
I want to sit down and have a conversation with this amazing woman! Natalie has such depth and emotion in her voice and story telling. So poetic, so mysterious , and so moving. She just gets better and better and better. Easily one of my favorite albums! I've got to see her live-she is phenomenal. She's so graceful and beautiful-she is genuine she is strong, and she is real! This album is very emotional-and she is very inspiring.
on February 14, 2015
Maybe not her best but still Natalie Merchant and still better than 90% of the rest of what's out there trying to pretend they can write and sing good music these days. If you liked her classic albums you won't be disappointed here. It may not be great, but it's still Natalie Merchant and she still sounds very very good.
on July 30, 2014
A good mix. Couldn't make the concert tour for Washington, DC, but would have loved to have seen her. Her voice is so recognizable and have been a fan for years.
on May 10, 2015
She still has her chops. Sentimental, angry, sad, all Merchant and has been for many years. Really liked the album.
on August 4, 2016
Two years since its release and I'm still listening to this album all the time. It has sass, attitude, and Natalie isn't putting up with any "BS", as evidenced on these best tracks:
Maggie Said
Texas
Seven Deadly Sins
Black Sheep
on May 21, 2014
I first heard Natalie Merchant in 10,000 Maniacs when they played MTV Unplugged. I was a kid then and disappointed when the band broke up. However she more than made up for it with "Tigerlily". That album was spectacular with "Carnival" and "River" as my favorite tracks. Then came "Ophelia" which I also loved and then "Motherland". Maybe I'm imagining it but it seemed to me Natalie Merchant's voice changed on that record. It sounded like she was singing with something in her mouth. Although the music and lyrics on "Motherland" are great I just did not like the singing very much. Then she seemed to disappear from pop music (although I did buy the awesome retrospective album she put out in 2005). By chance I ran across an interview in which she was promoting her new album. I assumed it was more folk music but decided to listen to some samples just in case and I was so glad I did. I listened to "Natalie Merchant" in one sitting after purchasing it and felt like I was taken back to the Natalie Merchant of "Tigerlily" and "Ophelia". The songwriting is as strong as ever and she sings amazingly well. Now, I wonder if she still twirls on stage when she performs...
on August 30, 2014
Not often I write reviews, but I think this album is a wonderful addition to her catalogue. Every bit as good as her earlier stuff, but now with the perspective of years and experiences. She's an intelligent songwriter...and far to few of them around.