Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Big Nate Strikes Again
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon October 19, 2010
Book Review for [...]

I love the idea of mixing the art of comics inside a book to get kids reading. Diary of a Wimpy Kid has done that and Big Nate is also formatted in a similar way.

Big Nate is a middle school student who gets into enough trouble to create interest but not so much as you wonder what in the world he's thinking. He has two buddies that are along for a laugh and often at his expense. And guess what? There is some girl trouble that keeps the story interesting. The girl in this story happens to be Gina, his archenemy. The two get paired up for a report on Ben Franklin, and that part of the story truly delivers a bit of educational content. But when they get paired up for a sports team Gina has the nerve to name the team without the okay from her team captain, Big Nate.

The second book is easy enough to pick up even if you've missed the first book and it is geared for those on a 2nd to 5th grade reading level. The plot isn't heavy. It's not something that you'll learn great life lessons from. What it does, and does well, is gets kids reading who might not normally be into reading. The change from text to comic so often keeps the reader interested and moves the story along with the visual clues that some kids need when reading at this level. Don't think this one is just for boys either. My eight year-old daughter saw the book arrive and immediately offered to do the book review for me. She's next to read it!
on February 21, 2015
This is a good book. I like the way that both Nate and Gina get what they got. They each got something good- Nate got a good grade on the Benjamin Franklin 'thing' and Gina got the spoffy. And it all evens out in the end. You wish to know the highlights? All right, I shall name them. One, Nate wakes up from a nightmare (or is it a different book?). So then he goes to school when he finds out they are doing a research project on a great American. So then he at first got paired up with Megan. But she was getting her tonsils removed that day. So then he got paired up with Gina, one of the people Nate hates (along with Mrs. Godfrey. And Arthur.). So then it turns out they are going Benjamin Franklin. Then Nate goes home and then tomorrow he finds out he is a fleeceball captain (indoor baseball). So Nate gets really pumped up. So then he decides to name his team the Pysho Dogs. He likes that name! He tells the guys about it and they like the idea too. But then he forgot to give the name to their coach and Gina ends up giving the name Kuddle Kittins. Pathetic, right? That makes no team hard to the bone. Then the guys find out about it. They are not happy. So then Nate plans to give Gina a 'treat': he was going to dump egg salad on her head but it backfires. He does it on Jenny instead. FYI, Jenny is Nate's love magnet ( not really: she was going out with Arthur.). So then it gets all bad. What happens next? Will Nate have a good ending, or not? Find out! I'm Stephanie Cotton, by the way. I live in Willistion, Vermont. Nice to see all your reviews! They are really nice. Well, happy reading, all you Big Nate fans out
There! Have the best time ever reading this book!
on June 18, 2013
Big Nate Strikes Again is a book about Nate, Gina, Francis, Teddy, and Randy. Nate is on a Fleece ball team with Gina, but she is ruining it. Will Nate ever win the championship? Will Gina improve?

Big Nate Strikes Again is very funny. Read this book if you need a big smile and laugh.

This book is very long and very cool. It has comics, graphs, stats, and games.
And guess what I don't like about this book? NOTHING! I like everything inside the book from the beginning to the end!

Read every SINGLE WORD inside this book! Do not miss any word! (from a seven years old)
VINE VOICEon November 18, 2010
I received an Advance Reader's Copy of Big Nate Strikes Again by Lincoln Pierce. I did not receive any compensation for reviewing this book.

Kids who love Greg Hefley from Diary of a Wimpy Kid are going to love Nate Wright. Parents will probably like Nate better.

Based on the comic strip "Big Nate" this series details the trials and tribulations of 6th grader Nate Wright. Nate finally has a chance to win the coveted SPOFFY Trophy (Sports Played Only For Fun). He's been selected as a team captain for fleeceball - an indoor version of baseball. But nothing ever goes smoothly. Kept after school by a teacher, Nate is unable to make it to the meeting to pick his team. He lucks out and his best friends Teddy and Francis are on the team, but so is his archenemy - A+ know it all Gina! Not only does he have to put up with Gina on his fleeceball team, he's paired with her on a social studies project. Can things get any worse or more hilarious?

The humor in this book is definitively age appropriate. As an elementary librarian I spend a good deal of time around young children. The humor is right on target, but it's not so obnoxious (as some kid like humor - Captain Underpants for example - can be) that adults will not enjoy it as well. I love Jeff Kinney and his Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. But lets be honest, I think I like Nate better. (Don't worry I'll still anxiously await any new Wimpy Kid books.) Nate is one of those likeable characters. Always up to something, but so charming you can't help but like him. If you work in a school, you know what I'm talking about.

As I mentioned in the beginning, I received an Advanced Readers' Copy of this book. I liked it so much that not only am I going to recommend it to my students, I've already ordered a hard cover copy of this and the first book in the series for my library at home.

Recommended for 3rd grade and up. (The AR reading level is 3.0 and even though Nate is a 6th grader, based on my experience I'm pretty sure 3rd grade and older will enjoy this book.)

Mrs. Archer's rating: 5 of 5
on December 25, 2012
My grandson loved the Wimpy Kid book series, so I thought Big Nate would be well received. I was right! He loves the book! I bought the hardback book - much nicer than paperback. Good story, great illustrations, fun book for 8-11 year old range.
on March 9, 2012
This was a very entertaining, funny and exciting book. Not the best book for kids under 3rd grade, but a must-read for 4th through 6th graders! I enjoyed this book and will definitely read more of the Big Nate books. I think it is just a little bit better than the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. One of the best books I have read so far. Great job Lincoln Peirce!
on March 13, 2016
This is just a ripoff of another crappy kids' book from the early 90's called "Good Grief, Third Grade" (even though nobody uses that unless referring to Peanuts AND the school in that book has uniforms despite being set in Chicago in the (then) present day). Scenes are similar and stuff, like this sequence where the class is having names picked out for groups for a class project: X is hoping they aren't paired with Y, and when X's name is picked, they're paired with another student, but they're absent for a reason, so they're then paired with Y. X = Marsha in GGTG and Nate in this book. Y = Roger in GGTG and Gina in this book. I haven't read all of GGTG (read all of this one, though), but from what I read on the last couple pages it seems like it has the same ending.
on October 13, 2014
Really,I'm not kidding.This has been the best big nate book ive read so far.i would rate it a quintillion (1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000)stars if i could.
on May 9, 2011
Big Nate books are wonderful for young boys. The humor is silly but entertaining.

Working in a public library, I know how tough it is to get boys interested in books. This series does the job and keeps them coming back for more.
on May 31, 2016
This book is great. If you like Diary of a Wimpy Kid this is a good book for you. It has a main idea and is very funny. The only reason I gave it four stars is because I thought it was too short.
πŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸ˜Ž