Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 62 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 72 reviews
on July 14, 2014
3.5 stars. This isn't a bad book per se, but there are much better options out there; I read through most of this book before finding NightWatch: A Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe by Terence Dickinson. The Backyard Guide has some decent general information and is certainly compact, but NightWatch (now in its fourth edition, if that gives you an idea of its refinement and enduring legacy) has the edge on field usability because of its spiral binding. The Backyard Guide mentions, here and there, targets that are suitable for binocular or small telescope observation, but it really seems to be more of a general compendium of information on the basics of the night sky than a particularly helpful 'how-to' guide for someone to wants to learn the constellations and so forth. In this respect, its sections on the various constellations are pretty good. However, NightWatch does a much better job of stepping the beginning stargazer through the steps of finding common constellations and asterisms; for example, Backyard Guide mentions that your hand covers about 5 degrees of the sky, your thumb 1 degree and so forth, but NightWatch has much better illustrations of this and explanations for its use.

Overall, as someone fairly new to amateur astronomy who has read and used both, I would suggest skipping this book and getting NightWatch instead.
33 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2013
I bought this book for my husband to use with his new 4 inch telescope and he loves it! This is a great intermediate book, maybe a little more advanced for beginners. If you buy this book with Turn Left at Orion, you'll be off to a great start finding all the messier objects in the night sky. The book also goes in depth in topics like light pollution and how to combat it, constellations, and other interesting astronomy tidbits. The pictures in the book are vivid and colorful. My husband couldn't put it down!
on August 14, 2012
A good book for beginners. There is not much detail in most instances, but for someone peering out of their backyard it seems like a useful guide. I bought it as a guide to the constellations and some of the brighter stars and it works well for that purpose.
on May 10, 2016
Purchased this for Christmas. We spent hours in the back yard with this book! My son loves it, and I did to. Great way to spend time together and learn a thing or two
on March 2, 2016
Lots of info and guidance! My 12 yr. old grandson loved it since it went well with his new outdoor telescope! I highly recommend it!
on April 2, 2017
As always, NG never disappoints!
on March 14, 2010
The title says it all. Backyard Guide is exactly what I needed to help me review and prepare my scripts for operating a planetarium in NE Georgia. It's loaded with quick facts about anything I would be showing in our digital planetarium and most helpful in viewing all the major objects in the night sky.
on July 1, 2011
this book has helped a normal city girl want to learn more about the great outdoor's and the sky's above thank you.the person who recieved this book want's to learn more about the sky's above and isn't affraid to go outdoors at night now.
on January 2, 2015
My daughter (11 years old) and I love this book! There are lots of pictures along with explanations of basic astronomical science. The only complaint I have is I keep catching my daughter reading it when she should be sleeping!
on May 1, 2013
The soldiers in Afghanistan liked this book, helped them to identify the stars in the sky and closer to home.