Workplace Solutions Best Kids' Books of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Gift with Purchase Stocking Stuffers Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  All-New Echo Dot Fire Tablets Kindle Paperwhite Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now 25% off select Graco products

Showing 1-10 of 188 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on May 4, 2012
I've bought every edition of this book, and it's been invaluable for visiting over 30 of the listed parks. Our vacations are planned around the "How to visit" recommendations, and this has proven to be helpful in getting the maximum enjoyment from each park without spending time on other hiking trails or side trips. I use other travel books and park service material for planning the details of where to stay and eat, what other trails to hike if we have more time, and what else to visit in the area, but this book is the most useful of all to me.
on August 13, 2012
I bought this book because we planned a trip to a number of the National Parks this fall. We have yet to go, but this book has all the ones we plan to visit. It gives you an overview of each park, how to get there, when to go and what to do and see. It breaks down the important aspects of what to see on the amount of time you have for a visit. It also provides information on fees, lodging inside and outside the park, camping and accessible services. The book is broken down into areas like the East, or the Southwest, putting the National Parks together in an area. It covers 58 scenic parks in which to explore, with lots of information, beautiful pictures and helpful maps. And exploring an unknown area is always best done with a guide, someone who has tested the trails and learned about the best places to go. So after reading this book, it will travel with us and be our guide, helping us to have the best possible experience.
on August 27, 2012
the instructions were to find a department for my review but i couldn't find STUNNING in the list!!! what a marvelous book! we cannot seem to put it down. i am beginning to think i should have ordered two of them so that i might have a better chance to spend some quality time with it myself. seriously, tho', if you are thinking about visiting any of our national parks, or if your children need information about the parks for school, this is the book for you. it is candy for your eyes, food for your soul...on a par with the Ken Burns' series about our national parks,
a book to be enjoyed and enjoyed... and then, just when you start to put it down, something else catches your eye....
on May 10, 2012
I got this book, as my wife ans I have been visiting the National Parks of the USA. This is the 7th edition, and has been updated. The book covers all the parks, what to do, day planning, hiking, camping and eating. If you plan to visit the national Parks, this is a must have. Great info and wonderful pictures, I highly recommend this book.
on November 22, 2012
Little detail about each one and some of the categories are odd, but lovely photos and all national parks are included so if you're looking to make a bucket list. For that though, I would prefer a book which also had all other National sites by region so you can plan all-inclusive regional visits - for example, National Forests, National Heritage Sites, etc.
on September 13, 2013
Just what we needed for our summer holidays. Visited a few National Park and it gives the high-level overview to get started and do some planning. Then more details can be found online on various webpages.
on September 19, 2014
This book is just okay. It did not provide the level of detail i was looking for. I think the editors were trying to go with a minimalist approach to this book. I guess they just want to give you an overview and assume you will learn more at the visitor centers. That did not work for me. I wanted to plan my trip ahead of time. I found the book called "Your Guide to the National Parks: The complete guide to all 58 national parks" to be much more useful and interesting to read.
on August 24, 2014
This is, and has been, a Very Wonderful National Geographic publication. This was NO surprise. All of my interaction with Nat'l Geo has always been a wonderful guide to visitation multiple resources throughout our nation and many other country sites just as well. I thank you extremely . . .

Most Sincerely,
Ron Folian
on August 7, 2015
We bought this book in preparation for our cross country trip in summer of 2015. On this trip we drove from Florida through 21 states in 21 days, and had visited 12 biggest national parks and monuments in South Dakota, Wyoming, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Tennessee and other.

This book provides almost exact data about location and hours. Pricing is a dynamic factor and it changes with time. All recommendations and suggestions are great. It tells what to see and what to avoid. Once we tried to go to Mammoth Springs in the north of Yellow Stone although it was not recommended due to dried out springs, and we had to pay our price. Very crowded and 80% of those springs were indeed dry.
It is well structured and you will find a ton of useful information.

Bottom line: Well worth invested money and if you like National Parks it is a keeper!
on June 9, 2015
Although not in depth on any place, I liked the general information and the basic time frames (pick your own from a couple of options). I ordered this hoping to show the kids pictures of places we plan on going but ended up rerouting our trip to include a couple places I really wasn't aware of. We added 2 in CO to our trip plan, if we had time we would have added 1 more to AZ, and we added 1 in CA. If you are one who likes a well planned out vacation, ALSO visit (not instead of) National Park online for each. I downloaded a bunch of pdf's to my kindle. And for any that James Kaiser has written a book on, I highly suggest his book to accompany the very basics of this one. Although Moon travel books have helped some, I have found the most value from NP, other online information and Mr Kaiser's books.