Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 27, 2012
the instructions were to find a department for my review but i couldn't find STUNNING in the list!!! what a marvelous book! we cannot seem to put it down. i am beginning to think i should have ordered two of them so that i might have a better chance to spend some quality time with it myself. seriously, tho', if you are thinking about visiting any of our national parks, or if your children need information about the parks for school, this is the book for you. it is candy for your eyes, food for your soul...on a par with the Ken Burns' series about our national parks,
a book to be enjoyed and enjoyed... and then, just when you start to put it down, something else catches your eye....
on June 5, 2012
This guide is OUTSTANDING for getting a general sense of what each park is all about and it's major (close to roadside) attractions.

However, if you are looking for the best hikes, backpacking trips, climbs, etc., you will NOT find it here. You also won't any truly useful hiking maps. You'll find general driving maps with many of the park's most popular features listed.

Start with this book and compliment it with specific hiking guides to specific parks (i.e. take a look at many of the Falcon hiking guides), and also get yourself some detailed and waterproof NatGeo trail maps, which are made for most of the popular national parks.
0Comment| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 7, 2015
We bought this book in preparation for our cross country trip in summer of 2015. On this trip we drove from Florida through 21 states in 21 days, and had visited 12 biggest national parks and monuments in South Dakota, Wyoming, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Tennessee and other.

This book provides almost exact data about location and hours. Pricing is a dynamic factor and it changes with time. All recommendations and suggestions are great. It tells what to see and what to avoid. Once we tried to go to Mammoth Springs in the north of Yellow Stone although it was not recommended due to dried out springs, and we had to pay our price. Very crowded and 80% of those springs were indeed dry.
It is well structured and you will find a ton of useful information.

Bottom line: Well worth invested money and if you like National Parks it is a keeper!
on June 9, 2015
Although not in depth on any place, I liked the general information and the basic time frames (pick your own from a couple of options). I ordered this hoping to show the kids pictures of places we plan on going but ended up rerouting our trip to include a couple places I really wasn't aware of. We added 2 in CO to our trip plan, if we had time we would have added 1 more to AZ, and we added 1 in CA. If you are one who likes a well planned out vacation, ALSO visit (not instead of) National Park online for each. I downloaded a bunch of pdf's to my kindle. And for any that James Kaiser has written a book on, I highly suggest his book to accompany the very basics of this one. Although Moon travel books have helped some, I have found the most value from NP, other online information and Mr Kaiser's books.
on September 19, 2014
This book is just okay. It did not provide the level of detail i was looking for. I think the editors were trying to go with a minimalist approach to this book. I guess they just want to give you an overview and assume you will learn more at the visitor centers. That did not work for me. I wanted to plan my trip ahead of time. I found the book called "Your Guide to the National Parks: The complete guide to all 58 national parks" to be much more useful and interesting to read.
on April 12, 2016
There are many more parks than were listed. I was doing an RV road trip and was very disappointed as to the incompleteness of the list. National Geographic is an excellent source of information and presentation for the parks that are listed if you're just looking for a few good parks in an area.
on October 22, 2014
So easy to prepare for NP trips. It highlight the viewpoints and trails, and tell you a route to visit, so you can easily find them in NP maps which is also included in this book, then know your route generally. When planning on a NP trip, I always read this book first, then go to U.S. National Park Service website to look for park alert, direction and download digital maps. Then, if it's a famous park, I can find its Chimani app in App Store, which I also highly recommend. For a smaller or simple route NP, this book works great all by itself.
on August 19, 2015
I love this book. As a HUGE fan of national parks, this provides some great details and is wonderful to flip through on road trips (I keep it in my glove box for just such occasions). The only reason I give it a 4/5 is because in some cases, it only briefly mentions some parks (e.g. I live closest to the Apostle Islands, which only get a paragraph at the end of the section on Voyageurs), and you will still need to go online or use other sources to fully plan your trip. Nonetheless, this is a great way to get a great idea of what each major park in the US has to offer!
on July 18, 2014
There is room for improvement.

Great:
Maps of all the parks are really useful. I drive to these parks at all kinds of weird times. It helps me to plan the trip out before getting there or even after (if the entrance/visitor center runs out of maps). In Zion it actually helped me to get to the park.
Another useful map is right up front. All the national parks on one map makes it easy to plan a trip. It gives you a birds-eye-view.

Cons:
Need some more info on hikes and trails. The trails covered are pretty basic/popular ones and for one-3 days visits.

If you love national parks, then it is worth the money. I just wished they had more info packed in there.
on June 7, 2017
If you are going to visit the national parks, this is the book to have