Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on May 7, 2017
While I do love Mark Dacascos as a narrator and actor, I was a bit disappointed by how sensationalised the information seemed to get in this special. History used to leave the sensationalism out of their specials, but it has been several years since I've watched one of them. While there was quite a bit of good information about the Samurai who ended up following Musashi's path, there was a bit more hype to it than I was used to.

That being said, the reenactments were very well done, and it didn't initially register that Dacascos was playing Musashi, as the costuming was very well done, and he was dirtied up quite a bit initially. When they were into the meat of the matter, the show was very interesting, and it the information was presented well; however it was when they got into the sections of the "modern day" where it got a little off.

Overall, it wasn't that bad of a purchase, and I don't regret it. The quality of the show is a lot better than anything on the internet for the clips, and the full show is definitely worth the price. I just do wish that the special was a bit more like the older ones that stuck more to the factual information.
on February 21, 2017
I love the Hustiry Channels Specials. I've learned so much. The one on Armageddon was really informative and I knew next to nothing about Andrew Jackson. It was a very fair portrayal of a controversial president, and put it in the context of that period in history. I'm always irritated by judging historical figures by the standards of the present, and the History Channels doesn't do that. I felt my education was pretty inadequate and the History Channel lets me fill in the gaps. Highly recommended. I plan to watch many more.
on August 30, 2013
I homeschool my four kids ages 8 to 14 and we are all studying medieval times. I like bringing in video to my history discussions as much as possible, but am usually careful with what I use because videos don't always include references or citations that can be easily found in books.

My children were enthralled by the program. I loved how he countered some of the myths/misinformation and the fact that there are people who are re-creating castles and siege engines using medieval methods. I especially appreciated the fact that whenever he challenged common perceptions about medieval life and combat, he would always preface the discussion with "I think.." I especially loved the scientific experiment involving the impact of arrows on a man's body that he used to support one of his theories. I would recommend this program as a supplement to history. Great job! That was definitely money well spent.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 9, 2016
The video is cropped - it literally has parts cut off the bottom of the screen as evident by multiple times where text is partially visible but clearly cut off. Who knows what else is cut off from the original.

I wasn't aware Amazon was in the business of selling and distributing videos with content blatantly removed - the more you know.

Follow-up: It is worth noting that Amazon refunded my purchase for the above reason. While this certainly reinforces my good history with Amazon customer support, anyone interested in this product should be aware that it is still an altered video compared to the one that aired on television and is missing content.
on February 20, 2015
This video was fast-paced, enjoyable, and enlightening. Mike Loades is both a knowledgeable historian and a very good story teller. It makes a good combination--there is no "lecturing." It's not about obscure dates, politics, and royal geneaologies. He shows you what he is talking about, whether it's hand-to-hand combat, building a real live castle, or washing clothes. He dispels myths and builds understanding of what it would be like if you were to be transported back in time to medieval Britain. It might not be what you expect.
on November 24, 2016
Fantastic! I first saw this when it first was aired on Hist. Chann. and I've waited for ab. 6 yrs.to watch it again. It is amazing, I had been a graphic designer as my occupation for a long while, so I do understand both 2D and 3D work. Thank you very much to History Channel and to Amazon for fulfilling my wish! It's great to watch, you'll enjoy it, even if you do not have any particular faith beliefs. I highly recommend this video, I do like to warn those who have never seen it: be sitting down when you reach the final moments of the face revealed.
on April 6, 2017
Was looking for a video about the Alamo and this was more like a video about an historian and a film making crew and how they filmed a recreation of one part of the battle. This battle scene, which played at the end, was very short.
on April 5, 2013
informative one-and-half-hour program about Roman Emperor Caligula clarifies, "Caligula - 1400 days of terror", is also strongly summarized & supported, by the half-hour program about Caligula, in the "10 things you don't know about" series.

Caligula may not have been merely a maniacal madman, but pursuing a plan, ceaselessly seeking to assert his "Divine" social status, over the Senate, and the old Roman Republic

i recommend both programs -- Roman history is central, to western civilization, pre-Christian, and Christian (e.g. reading Revelation requires recognizing references to Roman-isms)
on July 22, 2017
Very interesting ideas! Made me think about the world a little differently!
on August 3, 2017
Always loved a good History Channel doc. Only downside is Amazon movie file for this only selection always locks up and crashes. After dozens of attempts, I've never seen while file selection past episode 160 something. Hope it's fixed soon as I'd probably like to see offering and buy one or several