- Series: For Dummies
- Paperback: 432 pages
- Publisher: For Dummies; 1 edition (March 30, 2015)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1119030226
- ISBN-13: 978-1119030225
- Product Dimensions: 7.2 x 0.9 x 9.1 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.3 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 4.1 out of 5 stars See all reviews (19 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #844,550 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Natural Cures For Dummies Paperback – March 30, 2015
|New from||Used from|
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Back Cover
- Save money on prescription drugs and live healthier
- Treat over 170 of the most common ailments naturally
- Optimize your health and start feeling better than you ever have
Find natural cures and remedies for more than 170 conditions
From arthritis to varicose veins, this handy guide is your complete health advisor to common ailments that can be treated naturally. Packed with clear, expert guidance, it describes the symptoms and root causes of more than 170 health conditions and offers, proven, natural, customized prescription plans you can put into action today.
- Don't sweat the small stuff discover trustworthy treatments for curing minor maladies, from bug bites, burns, and bruises to heartburn, hiccups, and hangovers
- Colds, flus, and infections find out how to boost your immune system to treat the common cold, fever, viral infections like the flu, bronchitis, pneumonia, and more
- Tackle chronic health conditions practice proactive disease prevention strategies you can easily incorporate into your life
- Alleviate those allergies treat asthma, seasonal allergies, food allergies, food intolerances and sensitivities, and leaky gut syndrome
- Get kudos from the kiddos find safe cures and remedies for treating and soothing the pains of colic, diaper rash, teething, and more
Open the book and find:
- Down-to-earth descriptions of each health problem and natural remedy
- Natural cures for relieving back, joint, and muscle pain and weakness
- Ways to use natural cures to combat chronic health conditions
- How natural medicine can help improve hormone imbalances
- Doctor-approved treatments to help you feel better fast
Natural Cures For Dummies provides a shining panorama of helpful and validated remedies well beyond what standard medicine has to offer.
David Perlmutter, MD, New York Times #1 Bestselling author - Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth About Wheat, Carbs and Sugar - Your Brain's Silent Killers
About the Author
Dr. Scott J. Banks has been in clinical practice for more than 30 years. In 2013, Banks joined an elite group Institute for Functional Medicine Certified Practitioners. He is uniquely trained in the Functional Medicine model to identify and treat the root causes of illness, disease, and chronic disorders.
Joe Kraynak has authored and co-authored numerous books.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
Many readers will probably be turning to the remedy section in Part 2, which I think was an excellent addition to the book and probably what most people are getting the book for. While I find the information in this part is accurate from what I know, I found myself saying "hey- but what about this herbal for that problem", or "why didn't they include this homeopathic?", but on the other hand this book might have then been expanded to a several volume set. But an example that came to mind was the treating poison ivy section. I was surprised the authors did not recommend the homeopathic Rhus Tox, which is a fairly common remedy. I realize this is just one nit picky example but I felt like I should point out that this is a excellent general guide but not a full compendium!
I will keep this on my shelf for sure, and while I do have a fairly decent knowledge of many of the remedies in this book (my husband and I work at a manufacturing plant that makes herbals, nutritionals, and homeopathic remedies that get shipped all over the country to other distributors... so I have to know about the products!) there is a lot of good information on other natural cures that I was less familiar with that will only enhance my knowledge base.
Never heard the term before reading this book but the author defines it as:
Pharmageddon is a common phenomenon in which a patient is prescribed a medication and then must take another medication to treat illlnesses caused by the first medication. For example, many antipsychotic medications cause obesity and type 2 diabetes, requiring taking even more medications to treat the side-effects! All these adverse reactions require more drugs, and the next thing you know you're on a dozen medications!
So to avoid this the book describes over 170 common ailments that can be treated naturally and don't require drugs. The dirty truth is that many of the medical problems you run into can be treated without drugs, but the natural route usually takes longer and may be more work than popping a pill but then you don't have to worry about side-effects!
One of the first things I looked up was GERD since I don't want to take medication for it but most of the recommendations for it were already known to me i.e. avoid alcohol, mints, nicotine, and caffeine which I refuse to give up hence. Not eating before going to sleep which I'm working on. Elevating your upper body when sleeping with an extra pillow, which I never thought of trying but sounds like it could help. Also mentioned that this could be caused by a hiatal hernia, which I had never heard of and my doctor never mentioned, so I think everyone will learn something new even if they have looked elsewhere.
Next I looked up sleeping since I sometimes get insomnia and one of the natural sleep aids suggested taking melatonin, which I thought was something you got from sunlight, until my doctor explained it. I got this book shortly afterwards and apparently you can also buy it in pill form if your body isn't making enough of it to help you sleep.
That's only two examples but the book has plenty more and the thing I like about it is that not only am I more familiar with natural alternatives but the book is also clear when conventional medicine is required and necessary. For example, if you got a bacterial STD or any other infection antibiotics are required. Seeking conventional medical treatment also goes for pneumonia, heart attack, drug overdose or any other life-threatening emergencies. It doesn't go out of it's way to say natural is the only way or best way but let's you make up your own mind.
Natural medicine is better suited to preventing and treating chronic conditions like asthma, allergies, arthritis, diabetes, heart disease, fibromyalgia, and obesity.