Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now Start your Baby Registry

"... a little natural philosophy, and the first entrance into it, doth dispose the opinion to atheism; but on the other side, much natural philosophy and wading into it, will bring about men's minds to religion." ~ Bacon

"Natural Law in the Spiritual World" is a book that was written in the 1800s. The author attempts to explain how the natural laws of the universe are reliable, and how this applies to the universe of spirit as well. I know some reading this will not want to be accused of credulity and believe too easily. But really the ideas are presented in an easy-to-comprehend way for anyone to consider whether they be a secular scientist, Christian scientists or a curious Christian.

Some of the topics discussed include Biogenesis (life from life), Abiogenesis (spontaneous generation), Degeneration, Reversion to Type and more.

What I enjoyed about the first part of the book was how many spiritual insights were presented. Henry Drummond was great at the analysis of ideas and in a very intellectual way. I also felt he had some great insights into spiritual reality.

What I did not really enjoy were the sections on parasitism and his feelings about various churches and their beliefs. This seemed like a sidetrack from the original content of the book. Read what you want and discard the rest.

One concept I'm still processing in my mind includes Carlyle's statement: "matter exists only spiritually." I suppose it would matter what matter is actually made out of when you get right down to it. I'm nearly convinced that we are all made out of the energy of love.

Some of this book is poetic and spiritually beautiful. I felt there was a good balance of science and theology. This book was however written in the 1800s so it tends to be a little wordy in places and you have to look up a few archaic words. But if you come away from this book realizing the seen has come from the unseen and that without God, the soul dies eternally - this book has done its job.

~The Rebecca Review
|11 comment|Report abuse
on July 27, 2015
I found the book fasinatiing. The author's blending of Natural Law and Spiritual Law was uniquely intertwined. The book's conservative Theology might be simply blushed at by a more liberal Theology. But the thesis of scientific law and the spiritual Law is only a part of a greater law yet to be discovered was a meaningful point that needed to be understood, stated and restated. What is, is yet to be unfolded. To the unscientific mind it might be a slow read, but it is well worth the effort.
6 people found this helpful
on October 22, 2016
I am an experienced reader of nineteenth century prose, and have no trouble with well written stuff. But this is very wordy--so much so that it's hard to detect what the main point(s) are. I would recommend skipping this one.
on August 20, 2014
What a fascinating and exciting way to consider natural law and spiritual law and how they following the same pattern and process in different areas. If only physical scientists could be open to both instead of adhering to their religion that the only way to look at our amazing universe as all responding only according to natural law. Love and God are more real than any physical being. Praise Him!
4 people found this helpful
on January 16, 2018
This was brilliantly written, and deftly elucidated - I came away from this reading experience inspired, as though I'd read a book on modern high chivalry... or... something like that (lol) I really enjoyed this book, and I feel I've added new building blocks to my soul - or perhaps more as though what I already have has been more validated. Good job, Henry Drummond!
on December 22, 2016
Drummond was a professer in Great Britain during the era of Darwin. A great study of spiritual law and natural law as one in the same.
on November 22, 2014
not exactly what I was expecting but I was pleasantly surprised with this book. some of the language is hard to follow, due to the author being a scientist and just dated language. overall this was ok.
on March 19, 2018
Presents a very interesting case that science may be more supportive of religion than generally thought.
on September 19, 2017
Absolutely fascinating. I wish people wrote this well currently.
on March 10, 2017