Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Natural Value Organic Coconut Milk, 13.5 Ounce Cans (Pack of 12)
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

Flavor: Organic|Size: 13.5 Ounce Cans (Pack of 12)|Change

on April 17, 2010
Please read the page at the following link to see what the problem was with the change in the Natural Value Coconut Milk. I rated this product as a 5-star because I admire the company for putting the explanation on their home page!! Besides that, I think that the original coconut milk is one of very few that does not have any guar gum or preservatives and I am so happy that they will be going back to the original.

It seems like the link didn't work. Here is the gist of what happened -

On our last order from the canner, we received a totally different product. Our natural coconut milk now has guar gum in it, plus unspecified emulsifiers and stabilizers. We did not order it like that, and unfortunately, the canner not only changed the formula and the ingredients, they took the word "Natural" out of the "Natural Coconut Milk" description. They made some other changes to the ingredients and nutritional information as well - all without telling us in advance they were doing that. The Light Coconut Milk has been changed as well. If they had told us in advance, we would have said "No Thanks" and found a different canner. So we are back to producing our original formula natural coconut milk, with no guar gum and no emulsifiers and no stabilizers...but it will be about 60 days before the "same old" product is back on store shelves.

Also, I have emailed Cohen at the Natural Value site and he answered as follows:

Amazon pulled the coconut milk at my request and told me they may not bring it back...it's going to be "up to you" to ask for it. We're looking at about 45 days.

So, if you want Amazon to carry it (the original formula) again, please email them and tell them!!

Doreen
22 comments| 163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2011
I can confirm that they are back to the old recipe. Coconut milk and water, nothing else. Consistency and flavor are very good. It's not as thick as Thai Kitchen, but I am guessing that's because they don't use guar gum as a thickener.
0Comment| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2011
Coconut milk varies wildly in quality -- literally every brand is different, in my experience. Most of the cheaper brands are thin, somewhat naturally homogenized, and have a chemical additive "to preserve freshness." Some of the more expensive brands in my local store are much thicker but have a slightly "off" smell and taste, and most still have potassium metabisulfate. I ordered the Natural Value Organic from Amazon because I didn't want the additive. This is the freshest, best stuff I've seen, and cheaper than the so-so high-priced brands. It is cleanly separated in the can, with the solids (you can scoop it like ice cream) on top and the water below. I scrape the contents into a blender, add a little filtered water, and blend for five seconds to homogenize. Great. Basically, you can get butter, cream, or milk out of this can to use instead of dairy products if you're looking to avoid caseins, drugs, natural and synthetic hormones.
44 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2008
I have tried many brands of coconut milk and this is by far the best. At least 1/2 the can is the thick coconut paste prized in so many recipes. The only ingrediant is coconut extract, oh and water. Every can is the same, no inconsistency from can to can. I have a hard time not scooping it from the can directly into my mouth. Have used this in rice, soups, curries, marinades, cakes/cupcakes and drinks.

I understand they make an organic product that is not as good due to an emulsifier, but haven't tried it myself.
on May 20, 2013
My husband & I completed the Whole 30 challenge, and coconut milk was an item we could have on the diet, however it was impossible to find coconut milk without the gum & other junk at the local grocery & health food stores. Luckily we found this stuff on Amazon & it was SO yummy!! We'll be ordering regularly :)
on April 22, 2013
bottom of cans have what appears to be mold and some rust as well. opened two cans so far and am going to return for refund or throw them out.

Stay far away from this stuff !

I POSTED A PHOTO OF THE RUST SPOT AND THEY REMOVED THE IMAGE.
review image
on July 7, 2015
I have bought this before and would have given it 5 stars, there is typically a near solid block of coconut cream, and every can is consistent. You couldn't even shake the can and feel anything liquid in it and that was amazing. I bought a new case the other day, and the label has changed, and the product is very watery, it didn't even firm up in the refrigerator. I still have a can of the old stuff, so it's not the weather or anything. I know that coconut milk can vary batch to batch, but this is more watery than even Thai Kitchen. It still says "Natural Value" and no BPA's, organic, etc, but the label looks almost like a child created it, I wonder if it's really the same stuff?
review image
44 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 7, 2013
I bought a case of this with some trepidation given the negative reviews about consistency in different lots of it, and I'm pretty picky about coconut products - I like them to taste like coconut. I decided to try it since a lot of the Paleo bloggers rave about it and how it's a BPA free can and contains no stabilizers. When I opened the first can, it had a really strange, sort of sulfur-y odor, and the taste was pretty much the same. Made a smoothie with it and it ruined it, couldn't even drink it. Only the barest whiff of coconut, really a weird product. I think some of it may have to do with where the coconut comes from, and I think as one other reviewer stated, the Thai coconuts are some of the best. This box was stamped product of the Phillippines. I've been buying Native Forest brand locally, and while it does have a little bit of guar gum in it, it tastes really good. Not sure about the can it comes in, though.

I did an online chat with Amazon the same day and they promptly refunded my money without my having to return anything (since they don't take food products back). Great customer service is all I've experienced from Amazon so far, which is why I keep coming back!
on January 6, 2009
I have tried Thai Kitchen, this Natural Value, and several brands of coconut milk from my local Organic grocers. This is one of my favorites. I love the fact that it is not full of sulphites, and other "junk". Love it on my porridge in the morning. Try it, you won't regret it!
on December 19, 2013
Previous reviewers are correct in their description of this product when they write about its lower viscosity, fat/water separation, slightly gray appearance and mildly grainy texture. However, to list these characteristics as complaints is misguided, IMHO.

The reason for the lower viscosity and fat/water separation is because this coconut milk contains no guar gum, an emulsifier and thickening agent. There are other (cheaper) products available which contain additives to provide the creamy texture and a more homogenized and stable mixture, but those additives detract from coconut milk's natural flavor and purity.

The slightly gray color is different than other products, but does not negatively affect the flavor or appearance. On the contrary, the color much more accurately represents the slightly translucent and off-white appearance of fresh coconut flesh.

I presume the grainy texture is the result of the processing techniques implemented in the manufacture of this product. It's nothing more than coconut flesh and coconut water pureed together. I don't have a problem with the texture as I believe it's indicative of minimal handling and processing.

I did not purchase my order from Amazon, so I have no complaints about the condition in which my cans arrived. I did, however, specifically seek out a pure, organic, unadulterated coconut milk, and have been 100% satisfied with this product.

Purity and moderate fat content are high-ranking criteria in my dietary preferences, and the flavor of this milk is pleasant enough to drink it straight, half a can or more at a time. I tried that with other products of lesser quality and couldn't get past the first spoonful.

I use 1/2 a can of this product every day as a component in my post-workout recovery shakes or as a morning snack to give me a high-fat, low-sugar boost. I have not tried cooking with this product (and don't intend to), so I cannot comment on its culinary qualities.

BL: If you are seeking a pure, full-fat, organic and delicious coconut milk to consume raw, whether by itself or in addition to other fresh ingredients, purchase with zero trepidation.