Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Vant Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 31-40 of 382 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 443 reviews
on April 17, 2012
Carole King's memoir is her way of telling her story the way she wants it told. In some parts of the book you might think "there has to be more to this than that!" Then you realize that indeed there is, but she's not telling! She praises Aretha Franklin upside down about her version of "Natural Woman", saying that nobody could do it better. I think Carole does just as good a job with her version of it on "Tapestry". Carole takes you through songwriting, preparing for concerts, and recording her "Tapestry" album. She shares with us her first time singing in front of an audience, thanks to James Taylor. Carole, being a private person probably had to think very hard about what she was going to share with us. You laugh, you feel her pain, you go back in time and remember things with her. You want to pull her back as she goes from husband to husband thinking "no Carole not him!". It had to be painful for her children to go through this with her. And it had to be painful for her when she had to let them go. Carole was going through a hard time after her divorce from second husband Charley Larkey. Larkey appeared to be the most normal of her four husbands and probably the one she loved the most. I think the hardest part of the book for her had to be the section on her life with third husband Rick Evers. Carole was phyically abused by him and still married him. She was going to take out this section of the book, but left it in hoping it would help others in the same situation. Her love of Idaho and living with nature was not shared by her Goffin daughters, so they left. At ages seven and nine, her Larkey children left and lived with their dad. That leaves Carole alone with her fourth husband Rick Sorensen. Carole was missing her children and her music, so she went to New York and---------READ THE BOOK! You won't be disappointed. You won't find much "dirt", but you will MEET a very interesting lady!

I met Carole King as she signed my book at the Barnes and Noble book store at Union Square in New York City. She smiled up at me as she signed my book and thanked me for purchasing it. I smiled back at her and told her I would write a review! I hope she likes it.
on September 14, 2014
As with most autobiographies, the author can be brutally honest or soft-peddle some issues. As a huge Carole King fan, I eagerly read this book. She was very honest about the physical abuse she suffered by one of her four ex-husbands and how that affected her and her four children. I was happy to read her side of the story of the Idaho road issue. What I felt after finishing the book is that this is an incredibly talented woman, who did the best she could in all aspects of her life. I'm glad she is still entertaining us all.
on March 22, 2017
Love her songs, love Carole. Very nice to know more about her, the monkey thinking & her having pun in life. Being Jewish and in my 70s I feel very connected
on September 6, 2013
The best thing about the audio book is that Carole King is the reader. She vocalizes many aspects of her autobiography that otherwise would have been words on the page. She is very respectful of former husband and writing partner Gerry Goffin's contributions to her early success. She also has a pleasant gee whiz approach to meeting some of her musical heroes such as John Lennon and Paul McCartney. The biggest disappointment is how little she talks about one of thr greatest pop albums in history, "Tapestry", never mentioning if it gave her financial security or more confidence in performing. She indicates early on that Don Kirschner had her sign over hers rights to her songs in 1958 and that controlled her beyond the success of Tapestry. More details of this aspect of the recording business would have been. Interesting. Sadly, she spends more time discussing her Idaho road litigation than is necessary. She reveals four failed marriages and other failed relationships without offering much insight into her own contributions to those events. She acknowledges spousal abuse by husband #3 and justifies tolerating it because she loved him. I've had Carole King high on a musical pedestal for over 40 years, but her book shows she is lacking sense in her personal life.
on November 8, 2016
If you're a fan you will love this well written look into her life. I saw the musical "Beautiful" which had me smiling every moment but only touches upon her personal life. Greatly enjoyed this read!
on April 21, 2017
I thought a little too much time spent on her wide variety of boyfriends/husbands, etc. Was really hoping to read about more of the more well-known artists she has worked with over the years.
on May 4, 2017
A very interesting and entertaining book. Carole led a very colorful life and it was interesting to read about how she got started and became the superstar that she remains today.
on June 24, 2015
I loved this book, finished it in 3 days.
Carole King is such a great musician, born with a natural ability to hear and play music. Also born with a beautiful voice.

She starts with her childhood and how she was interested in music from the start and luckily had two wonderful parents to teach and encourage her.
Enjoyed reading how she meant other gifted musician's, how they interacted. And this of course includes her 1st husband.
She tells of being abused by her 3rd husband and how she didn't leave when she knew she should have.
Though I wanted more personal information, I understand her wanting to keep something's, well, 'personal'.
Great memoir!
on January 18, 2016
One of the best Autobiographies Ive ever read! I know you will like this even if you are not a huge fan of Carole King. She's so down to earth and you will particulary enjoy the references to Brooklyn if you were born or lived in NY.
on May 16, 2017
I have loved her music since I first. Heard it. I was so surprised to learn she was abused. I wish her the best.