Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nature Made SAM-e Complete 400mg, 36 Tablets
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lindsey Stirling Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on November 9, 2009
Sam-E has worked well for me, after I knew how to take it properly that is. I took it for about 2 weeks before I actually did some reading about it and knew I was doing many things wrong. Including making the wrong purchase. Any brand will probably do, (as long as it is made properly, see #2 below) but I have found Nature Made to be the best selection when it came to purchasing Sam-E. (Yes, I have actually bought and tried the 200mg AND 400mg tablets) No matter what brand you buy, you have to give it TIME to work. 7-10 days is the timeframe that it will typically start to work in, but I have heard of occasions where it has taken longer. After 12 days if you have seen no positive change in mood, up the dose. Eventually, work your way up to taking 1200mg of Sam-E daily for best results.

Yes, these 400mg tablets ARE enteric coated, which you definitely want in your Sam-E supplement...more on this later.

Stomach Cramps and even the possibility of ulcers be a serious problem for people taking Sam-E. I have compiled a list of precautions and things you can do to prevent this:

1) Make sure you take this product on an EMPTY STOMACH. An empty stomach means not having eaten anything for roughly an hour. The best time to take this is in the morning, right after waking up. Finally, make sure you do not eat for at least 30 MINUTES after taking Sam-e. More time may be required as you take more of the supplement.

2) Do NOT purchase Sam-E tablets that are not enteric coated and are not in a box/blister wrap. The Entric coating prevents the pills from being absorbed by your body until they reach the lower intestine which will prevent a majority of stomach cramps and stomach pains. Not only this, but it will prevent the Sam-E from being dissolved in the stomach which renders it virtually useless. Again, the Nature Made 400mg tablets ARE enteric coated.

Also, On a lot of the "Product Ads from External Websites," I have seen a lot of retailers trying to hawk Sam-E in bottles...NOT ok! It is a BIG mistake to buy Sam-E in bottles, I won't get onto it here but you can google it and you will see why. It must be blister wrapped for ultimate freshness!

I hope I have been of assistance, if taken right you will see a dramatic positive change in your mood!
3131 comments| 945 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2011
I read all the reviews here before trying the Sam-e. And gave it a try because of Menopause mood issues. I wanted to try something natural. I tried lexepro and it was way too strong, even in the smallest amounts turned me into a zombie, with no emotions.

I took all the advise given, in order to take Sam-e without stomach problems. I bought the right kind (eneric coated in individually sealed package). I took it on an empty stomach with a glass of water. And ate 1/2 hour to hour afterward.

After a few days of taking Sam-e I got the worse stomach pain ever. I could barely move. I had to lay there and force myself to breath. The pain was so bad. I stopped taking Sam-e. It took about 4-5 days to feel better. It hurt every time I ate the smallest amount.

As far as mood, I couldn't take it long enough to see a difference.

A month later after more research, and found that MOST ALL Sam-e products are made with Mannitol, which is a sugar alcohol and this ingredient can cause stomach pain.

So, I decided to try again. This time I bought the GNC eneric coated, individually sealed Sam-e. This brand has NO MANNITOL. I have been taking 200 mg for the past 15 days with no stomach problems. I drink it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I wash it down with LOTS of water, probably 24 oz, to make sure it goes way down. And then I eat breakfast 30 - 60 minutes later. AND I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH STOMACH PAIN. After about 12 days, I began noticing a wonderful change in my mood. I wake up feeling good. And feel good throughout the day. I just overall feel so much better. So far, I haven't had any unwelcome side effects. Im sleeping well at night, no anxiety or ill effects.

I dont drink Caffeine. Im very sensitive to stimulants, as it makes me feel nervous, it always has. Sam-e has not given me that type of feeling, at all.

Hope this helps someone.
9191 comments| 582 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2009
I started taking Sam-e over a month ago and I love it! Before starting it I was experiencing anxiety and panic attacks coupled with mood swings. I started keeping track of my mood and realized that I was having more bad days than good. Even little things would upset me and it was like once something happened (no matter how small) it just ruined my mood sometimes for a few hours and sometimes for the rest of the day. I ordered my Sam-e from wholehealth.com because they include a free bottle of Vitamin B Complex with each order. Sam-e can cause a build up of homocysteine in your system which is correlated with heart disease. The B Complex prevents homocysteine build up. I'm currently taking 400 mg a day. It started working quickly and I've experienced no side effects. I've been taking it for over a month and I just have a general sense of well being. I feel happier and I'm not having panic attacks anymore. I've taken Paxil in the past and this is less expensive and without the side effects. [...]. Read up on the benefits of taking a B Complex with it. It's worth mentioning that B Complex contains Vitamin B2 also called Riboflavin. When you take a Vitamin B supplement your body uses what it needs and if it's more than it needs the remainder of the B vitamin is excreted in your urine causing the urine to be very bright yellow. I strongly recommend Sam-e. It really has changed my life. Yes, seriously.
44 comments| 233 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2013
I am 44 and suffer from extreme anxiety and depression. been suicidal many times. My anxiety is so severe I flip out over the smallest stressors at work and some label me as crazy. It really hurts to hear someone talk about you like that. Also anxiety gave me chronic insomnia, paranoia and feeling of doom.

I been taking sam-e for about 6 weeks and i am a new person! I no longer have panic attacks or feel doomed all the time. For the first time in my life I feel "normal"
22 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2013
I've been meaning to write a review for a while. To state my thoughts briefly, this supplement changed my life and I thank God I found it.

I finally tried this after reaching a very low point in my life. My days are very stressed filled to say the least with my crazy home life with several (loving!) kids and a job where I'm on call 24/7/365. I cannot underline the stress enough. Taking a stress test, I calculated in the 600-700 (total) range for stress when the highest singular stress number is for "losing a spouse" at 80.

Put this together with that I really haven't felt like myself for several years. I used to attribute it in the former years to working early hours and going to school, starting a family, etc. But even after graduate school and more peace (and sleep) I still didn't feel...like me. I always felt like something wasn't quite right with me. So I looked for deficiencies in diet or supplements but nothing seemed to be the magical bullet that fixed everything. Exercise, rest, looking into adrenal gland failure, or thyroid gland problems, gluten intolerance?, more, and yet none of these pursuits worked. And my mind remained in a stiff fog i couldn't escape. I would drink pots of coffee just to get my mind's "pistons firing" only to feel more worn out the next day. I could say more but you get the idea.

During a low point in the last few months, I finally decided to try SAMe to get me out of my rut. St. John's Wort, although I had never tried it, was my original plan but had read that it is rather mild antidepressant. Taking SAMe was not on my long term objective and I wasn't even sure if it would work. It took a few days for it to work and I used a higher dosage (800mg) for the first few days. But now I, can say for certain, feel...like me. I'm sociably like I know I am, not overwhelmed with life, and my mind feels fog-free...I can't remember when the last time my mind has run this well. I can be the focused and driven husband, father, and effective employee that I know I want to be.

Now I take 400mg a day and am elated with the results. I never imagined taking this would make such an impact on me. Now, I plan on taking this for my entire life. That's how dramatic of a change this has been for me.

Will SAMe work for you? It may or may not. It is going to depend on each person. Nor will SAMe make you a different person than you are. This will only allow you to be all that God has created you to be. For me, this helped normalize and balance me out.
0Comment| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 2012
A little background info on me: I believe I've had a mood disorder my entire life without realizing it. My father was diagnosed with ADD, depression, and slight Bipolar Disorder. I have never been to a therapist or psychiatrist to get officially diagnosed, but I believe I may have inherited some of his disorders since my 2 other siblings and I share many of his behavioral traits. My entire life, I have suffered from a lot of negativity, anxiety, anger, crankiness, and sadness (but not to the point of having suicidal tendencies), and I believe I was only able to manage this with exercise since I have been and continue to be a very active athlete. I have had complaints from friends and family that although I am a caring person (I care about people, animals, and the environment in general), they found that I'm quick to anger, I jump to conclusions, have a "thin skin" and am overly sensitive and emotional, worry about things excessively, dwell on events, and stress very easily to the point where I shut down. Don't get me wrong...I was happy, but I'd say only half the time...I was one of those "half empty glass" type of people and felt that there was something stopping me from being happier.

I was laid off about 6 months ago, and basically became a big ball of negative energy the last several months. This was my first layoff, and I wound up in a dark place that I never thought I'd be in. I hated everyone, everything, and just felt like everything was hopeless. As mentioned, I have been an active athlete my entire life, but these last 6 months, I even lost interest in all the things I enjoyed. There were days I would cry from depression and sleep for hours. I know the layoff had a tremendous effect on me, but I also felt that maybe there was some sort of chemical imbalance after all. Since I no longer had health insurance due to my job loss, I could not afford to get any therapy or go on medication to help. A family member works for Nature Made, so I was given a box of 200 mg pills to try it out.

All I can say is I felt the effects of the SAM-E immediately, even the first day! The first day, I took the 400 mg recommended on the box, and it worked all too well. Within the first few days, I adjusted my dosage and found that 100 mg per day is just right for me. I know it was not just a placebo effect, because during this time I was taking it, I encountered difficult situations in which I normally would have reacted in a negative way and would have been depressed, stressed, and freaked out to the core. In addition, it is "that time of the month" and that's usually when I'm at my craziest...but nope, I stayed level!

If you really want to know how it feels, the only thing I can compare it to is MMJ without the high or dopeyness. (I am actually a MMJ patient here in California- I am a patient due to severe Sciatica, and I found that the MMJ also helped me with my depression. However, MMJ is not something you can use if you want to function- in my case, it was looking for a job and applying to graduate school). Taking SAM-e, it's like a dark cloud has been lifted, and all that negativity and stress is gone- it is something I have never felt before my entire life! I found that I am more level-headed and able to cope with what life throws my way...and believe me, it's been throwing a lot! Situations in which people would normally irritate me, I just brush it off with that "whatever" attitude and move on. The reason I adjusted my dose to just 100 mg is I found that at 400 mg or even 200 mg, I am a bit too logical and rational, and I felt like Mr. Spock. I found that 100 mg is enough for me to be level-headed yet still enables me to feel some of the emotions. I really feel an inner peace within myself, and I actually feel like I'm converting that negative energy into positive energy. I wish I had discovered SAM-e a long time ago, I think it would have been life-changing.

Everyone's body is different and everyone's situation is different, but I definitely recommend that people start at a lower dose first, maybe even cutting the pill to 50 or 100 mg to see if that's enough and increasing the dosage as needed.
22 comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon February 28, 2011
Wow, does this really work. Shocking really.
My mood swings sometimes can be very stressful for my family. I have been taking this for 3 months and my husband says he can really tell. I went off it for a couple weeks and he was able to tell right a way because I was very moody. I would get upset/angrey about little things and this has complely calmed me.

I have read that you should also be taking a B Complex, B12 and Folic Acid...Need to research this part more and you should too.
on July 2, 2005
I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia Syndrome in late 2001 (I have a very severe debilitating case). I began taking SAMe in May of 2002 with a small dosage of 100mg (another brand). I immediately was 35% better, so began Nature Made SAMe at 200mg a day. I now take 400Mg a day, and after taking it for years now, I function 75% better versus without it. I have planned to increase to 800Mg to try for a 100% (we can hope can't we? :) ).

SAMe allows me to get out of bed, to move more fluidly, to feel good about facing the day, and CONTROLS MY PAIN in a way nothing else can. I cannot function without it.

I STRONGLY suggest this product for anyone suffering from a muscular, arthritic, or brain related disease that causes pain or discomfort. However you should see your doctor or a specialist before starting any new medication.
0Comment| 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2009
Late last year I came across an article for combating arthritis with natural supplements, sam-e being one of them. Having been diagnosed in 2007 with spinal arthritis at the age of 28, I was desperate to find something that worked. I began doing research on sam-e and it's properties and the more I read the more I was ready to try it. In early February of this year I began taking 400 mg a day and by the end of the week I could already tell a difference. By the end of the second week I was amazed at how well I felt. I went from being in constant pain to the occasional twinge here and there. Its been two months and these have been the best two months I've had since being diagnosed. I HIGHLY recommend this supplement.

Info: When taking sam-e its good to take b-vitamins as well, they help aid the sam-e in working. Take it on an empty stomach, about 30-40 minutes before breakfast. If you don't have time to eat or miss breakfast then take heartburn medication within a couple of hours, sam-e can cause painful heartburn if its allowed to release in your stomach instead of your colon. It may be necessary to increase your dose after a few weeks, as well, as you can plateau. If you are bi-polar or suspect you may be, then DO NOT take sam-e until you have spoken with your doctor first. Sam-e can cause some people with bi-polar disorder to go into a manic phase.

Over all this is an amazing product and I have been telling everyone I know about it. Google sam-e and you will find links to studies that outline the other benefits and possible benefits of sam-e. The biggest pitfall is the price, and while yes its expensive you can watch out for sales and buy in bulk, because it really is worth it if you are suffering from chronic pain as I did. It's worth its weight in gold if it means I get to run around the backyard with my kids!

**ADDED FEB 2010***
I am still taking this product, and I STILL highly recommend it! I buy it in bulk on sale, and its still th best money I've ever spent! It not only has helped with my pain, but I've managed to lose 30 lbs since I began taking it! If you suffer from osteoarthritis, talk with your doctor, it might be the best decision you ever made.
55 comments| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2009
I read about Sam-e a couple of weeks ago when I realized that I needed to do something about my "funk" that I just couldn't shake. Life in general, plus my tendency toward worry, were taking it's toll. In addition to feeling depressed, I was very tired and couldn't seem to find the energy to tend to all the tasks of the day.

Enter Nature Made Sam-e!

I began taking 2 (400mg) tablets per day and felt results very quickly. I took the first right before bed because I'd read that it can upset your stomach so I figured I'd try it when I wouldn't be conscious. And I took the second one the next morning before eating. By the end of that day, I could feel some improvement. Within 3 days, I felt waaaaaaaaaaaaay better!!!!

This stuff is amazing.

However, I only gave it 4 stars, instead of 5, because of 1 con. After a few days, I did start noticing some stomach upset. For me, it was very mild, HOWEVER when I forgot to take the supplement one night the next day I had some crampy pains that were rather uncomfortable.

With that said, the benefits so far outweigh that small con, that I'd be more than happy to keep Pepto on hand for the few occassions that it doesn't settle so well.

However, I wouldn't allow my negative point (or any other reviewers negative) to stop you from trying it. Everybody's make up is different and I'm willing to bet that most people won't have any side effects. Oh and if you don't have immediate results, keep the same thing in mind. It might take a few days to kick in for some folks.
11 comment| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse