Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on April 26, 2012
My daughter has a lot of allergies and started having severe breathing issues when we bought a traditional mattress for her new big-girl bed. It seems the polyurethane foam is a pretty common trigger for people with allergies and chemical sensitivities. That said, we ended up buying a very expensive, all natural mattress and wanted it to last a very long time. This was the perfect solution. It is completely safe, non-toxic, passes GreenGuard standards, and doesn't off-gas. You would never know there's a waterproof membrane between the two layers of organic cotton, but it is truly waterproof and has protected the new mattress from a couple of very wet accidents already.

Update, June 2012: I was interested in additional details about what the waterproof inner film was made of after I first posted this review. I emailed Naturepedic, and they replied to my inquiry with a very kind, but disappointing email that it was proprietary information and that they couldn't give a lot more info, other than emphasizing many of the things that were NOT in it. I was not entirely happy with the response, but overall, I was still happy with the safety and efficacy of the mattress pad. However, shortly after our email exchange, Naturepedic emailed me again to let me know they recently updated their website to reflect more detailed info. I was really impressed with this kind of follow-up and awesome response to a concerned customer. Kudos to them for recognizing how important this information is and for quickly following up not just with me but for officially changing the info on their public site. Here's the more detailed language from their website that describes the DrySleep liner:

Drysleep uses a specially formulated polyurethane waterproof barrier that is proven to not leach harmful chemicals. It is made from the same grade material as is required for food contact applications. It also meets the highest standards for medical device biocompatibility (USP Class VI). It does not contain any fire retardants or antimicrobial treatments and is free of vinyl/PVC, phthalates and latex. It also easily passes the GREENGUARD Children & Schools and Select certification standards for chemical emissions and is approved under the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS).

All in all, we're extremely happy with this purchase and it works exactly as it states. The fact that it comes from NaturePedic, one of the only mattress makers to get Healthy Child Healthy World's endorsement, helps us all sleep that much better at night!

Sheesh- I know I sound like an advertisement there, but after seeing my child suffer because of a mattress I told her she'd be safe on, my heart is so grateful that there are companies that make products that are truly safe and healthy for children and the rest of us.
1313 comments| 198 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 15, 2015
I have these on all our mattresses-because we have an older cat who has had some bladder problems. I also bought a few to put on top of the beds and even on the sofa-just in case, so we don't have to launder bedspread and linens if the cat has an "accident". I would highly recommend these to anyone looking for mattress protection-they are effective, clean easily, healthy and good for environment! Would recommend to veterinarians who are dealing with this issue with their patients! or doctors who have human patients with this issue as well. The expense is worth the quality-not plasticky, no crinkling noises, no chemically odors and much cheaper than dry cleaning bills or cost of new mattress.

(If you happen to be purchasing this for the cat reason-we also found adding lots of litter pans around house, keeping them super clean, and making other comfortable, non bed spots for the cat to spend time, ie cartons with top off, "doorways" cut into the sides, and bottoms covered in cushiony layers of towels, lots of cat treats in the box to lure the cat(s), keeps the cat happy and away from the beds and sofa.
on May 20, 2016
Ordered this mattress pad two months ago and have been sleeping on it every night since. Had one incidence involving a leakage and the protector worked perfectly. It has washed well twice. Highly recommend this product. I had done a few hours of research trying to find the best organic waterproof mattress topper and a couple blogs as well as the high reviews led me to this product. It's a great choice and well worth the cost.
on June 9, 2011
This product asked for star ratings as a toy - it's not a toy but a mattress protector.

After spending quite a bit on a natural latex mattress and organic wool mattress topper, my husband and I realized that there was nothing but the fitted sheet to protect the bed from our cats. We have not had any recent problems, but in the past there have been times of family visiting or parties at the house that have stressed the cats so much they have not been brave enough to find the litter box and for whatever reason the bed is their next choice. This was terribly annoying but bearable with a 15 year old metal innerspring mattress and a lot of cleaning - unthinkable for our new investment in a good night's sleep.

I read several reviews on other websites for this mattress protector. It was about the only queen-sized protector I could find that wasn't plastic and after spending so much time ensuring our new bed was as chemical free as possible, it seemed a crime to cheap out at the last minute. This protector is made of organic cotton.

I washed this item following the instructions on the package. It's machine washable and shrinks down in the dryer quite a bit to actually fit on the bed. In my case, it shrunk perhaps 1/2" too much on each side, but it still fits the bed well. It seemed very absorbent while washing/drying, requiring two spin cycles and two dryer cycles to dry completely.

So far it has not been called to action yet, but based on the absorbency during its cleaning I'm sure it will do its job if the time comes.

**USE UPDATE**
After drying this in the dryer a second time, it shrunk a bit further. It still fits but I may line dry it from now on to avoid further shrinkage or possibly keep drying it in the dryer to see how much it shrinks!

My new kitten did pee on our bed and in spite of being whisked away immediately it did make it all the way through the sheets. This caught all of the pee (not a lot, she's not a big kitten) that soaked through the sheets - I would estimate a tablespoon or so. No sign of soak through and the mattress is safe - I would imagine this will take a lot more abuse than a small animal can dish out. Washed up perfectly, no odors. A lifesaver!
33 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 8, 2016
Embarrassed to admit buying this for myself, but my pregnancy has left me with a weak bladder. I ruined a $5000 mattress with my problem and felt that this was worth giving a try. Expensive at first glance, but if it worked I knew it would save me more $ in the long run. It works! And the best think is it doesn't move around on the bed even though it's not fitted. I put it under the mattress pad and you can't even tell it's there. Wonderful!
on May 2, 2015
What a disappointment. We were excited to find this organic mattress pad option with safe waterproofing. I purchased three for our family. Although they were much different than we expected when we unpacked them we decided to go ahead give them a try. We couldn't even make it through one night using these! They are like thin cardboard or thick poster board! Horrible! I don't know if something has changed since all of the positive reviews or if the majority of the reviews are for babies and young children who might not be able to express how uncomfortable these really are.
We are thankful for amazon's great customer service.
on July 5, 2015
I first bought one of these mattress protectors three years ago for my oldest child, and was so happy with it that I searched it out to buy again for my second. I was disappointed to see the price had gone up ($99; was $79 when I bought it the first time), but ultimately I decided that it was worth the money. The benefits to this pad are clear: it is super thin so it doesn't create bulk but it NEVER leaks (and I have had MANY wet beds over the years), and it is all-natural so no harmful materials. Plus it washes great: after many washings over the years it still looks and feels the same and still works the same. This pad does a fantastic job at protecting the mattress. I'd buy it again: hey, I did! :)
on September 13, 2014
They do the job for us. We now have 4 and have used them extensively (our oldest is 3 and a half). The mattress has never been wet. They have shrunk over time and the oldest ones now run smaller than the mattress. I'm not sure how I feel about the inner layer (in terms of toxicity - this is why the product loses a star), but you cannot guess there is an inner layer - it does not feel, or sound, like it.
on July 30, 2015
Xcellent product.
Superb moisture barrier for the grankids using our guest bedroom. They hav had a few nighttime accidents, with zero penetration beyond the pad. And a few spilled drinks. The mattress has been untouched. Washes & dries easily in standard home machines. My grandson has a polyester intolerance, so the cotton fabric was a must. It does create some additional warmth but with a small fan aimed over the bed, it is easily remedied.
I recommend this product without reservation. U get what u pay for.
on April 5, 2016
This mattress pad was waterproof for a little more than a year. After that it was no longer waterproof and therefore useless. I put it away and forgot to call for about another year. The company states there is only a one year warranty. We washed our mattress pad with the bed sheets as well as other mattress pads. Visibly it looks like it in great shape. This is the only mattress pad that is no longer waterproof (the other brands are fine). For the cost of this mattress I do not recommend it. For this price it should last many years. Very disappointed and probably won't mention the loss to my husband ;-).