Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ $3.95 shipping
+ $3.75 shipping
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind Box Set Hardcover – Box set, November 6, 2012
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
About the Author
Hayao Miyazaki is one of Japan's most beloved animation directors. In 2005 he was awarded the Venice International Film Festival's Golden Lion Award for Lifetime Achievement, and his Studio Ghibli received the festival's Osella Award for overall achievement in 2004. Miyazaki's films include Spirited Away, winner of the 2002 Academy Award® for Best Animated Feature Film, as well as Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, and Ponyo, all of which have received great acclaim in the U.S. Miyazaki's other achievements include the highly regarded manga series Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Starting Point: 1979-1996, a collection of essays, interviews, and memoirs that chronicle his early career and the development of his theories of animation.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Both story and art is by Hayao Miyazaki, that's right, HAYAO MIYAZAKI: the man who co-founded the internationally acclaimed Studio Ghibli, one of the greatest genius of animation this world have ever seen. The art is simply amazing, the storytelling is brilliant, the pages are full of life and detail and magic.
* * * * * These are the highlights of the edition * * * * *
- The format is over-sized (like Akira's volumes), with a trim-size much larger than the one we are used to for mangas: the books are 10,4 by 7,3 inches. This gives you a much better appreciation of the art, and that's exactly what you want, being Miyazaki's pages so full of detail and wonder.
- Book I is 568 pages long and Book II is 552 pages long, adding up to 1120 pages worth of Miyazaki's art!
- Both books are hardcovers with sewn-binding, which allows for a very comfortable reading experience. It's a real pleasure to be able to enjoy a manga in HC format, as opossed as softcovers, it feels like a real luxury.
- The printing quality is excellent, with sharp line-art and a delicate sepia tone ink.
- The paper quality is beautiful and very apt for the reproduction of art. The paper stock is NOT glossy; it's traditional manga paper stock, but it isn't flimsy or cheap at all. It's really nice and proper for the edition.
- Each volume includes 8 pages in color at the beginning of the book. This pages are printed in glossy paper stock and the art reproduction is beautiful, with vivid colors and outstanding detail.
- The slipcase is very solid and well-build, and the books fit perfectly inside of it.
- The box set also includes a small two-sided color poster (16,5 x 11,7 inches), which is a very nice adition to the package.
- The reading order is from right to left, respecting the original page layout.
In conclusion, the Nausicaä deluxe box set is the best edition of a manga I've ever seen. I really hope Viz and other publishers release critically acclaimed titles like Akira or Vagabond in deluxe editions just like this one.
As for the contents, the manga is nicely printed (its ment to be read the japanese way, from right to left), and the format makes it easy to view each frame.
The manga story is so much more complex than the anime story. That was the main surprise for me. More characters, more complexity in
Nausicaä's psique... and so on. Definitely worth the price.