Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Tailgating FFII_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 21 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 32 reviews
on December 8, 2013
While this is not Dan Brown, edge-of-your-seat writing, it does an excellent job of profiling a remarkable group of men in WW II and what they were able to accomplish. The Epilogue has a statement that perhaps should have been at the beginning of the book as it quotes from a Japanese newspaper, confirming the critical importance of the Navajo Code Talkers on Saipan and Iwo Jima. That article says: "Without the activities of the Navajo tribe, the history of the Pacific War might have turned out completely different."

The author does a good job of describing the various campaigns and military operations and then tucks incorporates the role of the code talkers. Without the background of what was planned by the military and what kind of resistance was met, the reader would not appreciate the incredible contribution of the code talkers.

Having read some on how the Navajo conduct themselves with a degree of quiet humility, it seems this books honors that tradition. The author also follows some of the talkers after the war and we learn of their healing ceremonies that are part and parcel of many Tony Hillerman novels. We were able to actually meet two of the code talkers in New Mexico in 2013 and it was a delight to talk with them. This book helped me complete their story for me.
on April 6, 2013
I purchased this book as material for a research paper. Sadly there are few academic writings on the Navajo code talkers, but this book provides the most in depth research and writing on the subject available. Particularly it includes interviews with the code talkers themselves (a perspective often lacking), material from the documents that Philip Johnston took, material from military archival records and newspapers at the time that other writings on the subject do not include. It's gives a comprehensive view of the use of history of code talking, its inception in WWII, the impact code talkers had in the Pacific theatre, and even some mention of the recognition that was decades in coming.

The book itself is clearly written and easy to follow. Those with an interest in World War Two or First Nations will certainly enjoy this book; it's got a clear narrative and wonderful personal anecdotes by prior code talkers. Very nice recreational read. Those looking for in-depth research will find this is not on par with most scholastic writings, but is none the less the best resource on the subject I've found thus far.
on August 19, 2017
Very well written book about some of the bravest and most important soldiers in WWII. Great details about the Navajo code and its importance in winning the war.
on September 10, 2012
The book was very well written. I work at a Casino and am in constant contact with several different tribes one of my employees recomended the book to me, I am 73 years old and still have memories of what happened during the war and stories told by uncles who were actually in the war. I found it to be well written and very interesting. The she used so many different interview format. The fact that these men were not recognised for the role they played in our history, makes me sad. Once I starsted reading this book I did not want to put it down. I liked it so much that when I finished it, I felt that I wanted to read it all over again!
on April 21, 2012
This is the first book i ever read about the Code Talkers, didn't know any existed ! It was a Very Interesting book,easy read & you hate to put it down. If only more " Americans " were like the Navaho.
They were a Very Brave Unit & truly need to be more recognized, should've never been bussed back to their 'reservation' & then forgot about[ had to buy their own ticket ! ] But, to often that's the way our " government " treats our solders, their Expendable.
Several gave their lives & ALL fought very bravely.
Don't hesitate to buy this book, you won't regret it!
on July 21, 2013
This was a fantastic look at the code talkers of WWII. It tells the story of the Native Americans service to their country which wasn't always easy for them, sometimes being mistaken as Japanese and the prejudice that was common at the time. These were brave Marines everyone should know about. It also includes their dictionary of code words.
on November 7, 2009
My grandfather was one of the original 29 code talkers. This book is filled with little known details about their service to this country. I found the book very easy to read and the author is very good at keeping you interested. By far this book is more informative and knowledgeable then any other that I have read about the navajo code used in WWII. I would recommend this book to any history buff or anyone who is interested in the navajo people and their great contribution to their country.
on November 15, 2007
Sally McClain has put together a well documented, detailed history of the Navajo Code talkers who served during World War II. She also covers a number of the lesser known battles through the Solomons where the code talkers also played a vital role. I used a chapter from this history for my own book, The Greatest U.S. Marine Corps Stories Ever Told: Unforgettable Stories of Courage, Honor, and Sacrifice (Greatest) and I recommend "Navajo Weapon" for anyone interested in a solid general history of these American heroes.

Iain C. Martin
--Editor, The Greatest U.S. Marine Corps Stories Ever Told
on July 30, 2013
We learned a lot more about WW2. We visited many sites on the Navajo Reservation this past May and spoke with two very interesting Navajo guides, one of which talked a lot about the Navajo Code Talkers and about how proud their tribe was to be a part of the World War II effort.
on March 25, 2016
BOOK IS WELL WRITTEN AND GIVES A GOOD HISTORY OF THE CODE TALKERS CONTRIBUTION TO TH WAR IN THE SOUTH PACIFIC