Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Flavor: Goji Berries|Size: 1 Pound|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,068 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,221 reviews
on July 5, 2017
vhb

Navitas Organics Goji Berries, 16 oz. Bag

These are tremendous, nicely packaged with no foreign matter and surprisingly tasty and loaded with nutrients.

While a serving is pretty low calories, they do contain a fair amount of sugar and carbohydrates. This is not expressed outright so
just a call out to those watching their diet and diabetics. A good alternative for those folks might be Cacao Nibs to spruce up oatmeal, yogurt or the like.

Here is general nutrition info for those curious.
Nutrition Facts
Vitamin A 150 %
Vitamin C 23 %
Calcium 5 %
Iron 11 %
Daily values are based on 2000 calorie diet.
on January 23, 2014
This was my first purchase of this product and I didn't know what to expect. When they first arrived, I tried them plain and was surprised how they tasted... a berry flavor with a woody undertone. Needless to say, I used the bag sparingly. However, as I kept coming back to the product, I was surprised how I became accustomed to the taste. I was just snacking on them in the raw, sundried hard form. However, fast-forward many months later, I tried them in a oatmeal muffin mixture. Now I found the Goji Berry taste! Once they soaked moisture back up, they became soft and berry flavor - no more woodiness. It is now my new favorite thing is adding them to meals where they have the chance to rehydrate and become flavorful. I still eat them in the crunch form, but I have a bigger appreciation for them know that I know how to cook with them. Will buy again.
on June 5, 2014
I've purchased several bags from Amazon. This is a well known brand, and I thought the quality was good because I had nothing to compare it to. Recently, I purchased a Navitas Naturals pound bag from a national heath-food store for about $12 more. I compared the berries to my last Amazon bag and did notice a difference. The Amazon berries were not as plump, a little dried out and chewier. The flavor was about the same; main difference was texture. Some berries in both bags had black dark spots. Other reviewers have described this as mold or mildew, but I'm not sure. That being said, I mainly use Goji's in smoothies and baking so I'm blending them anyway. You really can't beat the Amazon price. However, for eating plain or in trail mix, I would probably not recommend these.
I am a believer in healing with nutrition, and the Goji Berry is key to a really healthy diet. I use these in my oatmeal (Coaches Oats--steel cut oats--from Costco). Just drop them into the oatmeal when you add it to the boiling water and they are perfect when the oatmeal is done. I have also used them in oatmeal cookies. I soak them for about an hour before mixing them into the cookie batter.

Even my boyfriend eats them :) They are super sweet and a little bit tart.

Some trivia on the Goji Berry:

The Goji Berry is also called the Wolfberry. It is a bright orange-red berry that comes from a shrub that's native to China.

They are touted to increase overall longevity, treat diabetes, high blood pressure, fever, and age-related eye problems. Goji berries are eaten raw, cooked, or dried (like raisins) and are used in herbal teas, juices, wines, and homeopathic medicines. They say that they may prevent cancer and heart disease. They increase the immune system and lower cholesterol. It is said that they can even prevent against Alzeimer's. They are full of antioxidants.

Eating foods high in antioxidants and Vitamin A (such as the Goji Berry) may slow the aging process. It does this by minimizing damage from free radicals that injure cells and damage DNA. When a cell's DNA changes, the cell grows abnormally. Antioxidants can take away the destructive power of free radicals. By doing so, antioxidants help reduce the risk of some serious diseases.

Other studies using goji berry juice founds benefits in mental well-being, and calmness, athletic performance, happiness, quality of sleep, and feelings of good health.

Possible SIDE EFFECTS/contraindications:

There may be some possible herb-drug interactions with goji berries. If you take warfarin (a blood thinner), you may want to avoid goji berries. Goji berries may also interact with diabetes and blood pressure drugs. (interesting, as they are touted to help these maladies)

Also, if you have pollen allergies, you may want to stay away from this fruit.
on May 6, 2012
I was really happy to find out Amazon was selling goji berries. They can be hard to find and these are a reasonable price for the convenience factor of having them delivered. A doctor prescribed the berries for general health -- they are supposed to be good for eyes (I work at the computer long hours) and they also have many antioxidant and anti aging properties associated with them. I use them in tea in the morning. Like others, I found the Navitas brand to be small and dry. I wouldn't say they are good for putting in trail mixes because they aren't very chewy, but making tea with them where they soak and expand works well.

Earlier this year I was in NYC and went to a Chinese herbalist shop I have gone to over the years. There I bought some berries that were Lin Sister Herb brand, about $10 for 1-2lb package. These are also marked organic (they qualify "organic or low pesticide residue" on the back of the packaging) but as others note, not certified by USDA, so who knows. I can say though, without a doubt, they are richer in taste, chewy, sweeter (but not artificially sweetened or soaked in sugar) and about twice the size of Navitas Brand. They also say they are from the "Best Region" but don't specify the region like Navitas does, calling theirs Himalayan. The region qualification makes sense to me because some herbs to grow better in certain environments and facing certain directions, so I am sure region can influence effectiveness in herbs. In the package of Lin Sister Herbs I have also found bits of leaves.

So reading these reviews I think there is a trade-off going on with the berries. If having them certified organic and kosher is the most important feature of the berries one is looking for, Navitas seems to be a better brand. If you are looking for taste, size and texture (some call this quality), the Lin Sister Herb brand ranks higher for me. However, I haven't found Lin Sister Herb gojis on Amazon. So I am sure I will buy both again as opportunity permits.
on June 28, 2012
I did a taste test with The Himalania 8oz Himalania 8 oz. Dried Raw Goji Berries - The Most Famous Berry in the Himalayas - Himalayan Goji Berry vs the 16 ounce Navitas.

The Himalania are MUCH better. But they cost almost twice as much, so if I had to buy again, which one would I buy? I'm not sure. The Navitas brand was crunchier (like a stale raisin. Not sure if I even like them. The Himalania were VERY good and addictive (which might be bad since you might eat too many).

Check out the video, you can see I can even crack the Navitas brand in half. Sorry for the bad sound!!

I rated it a 3 of 5 since it is "just ok". If you are buying them for power and nutrition, then they are fine. If you want the taste , then they are not worth it.

Frank
review image
on May 12, 2014
Because these are so expensive, I am always on the hunt for a better price for high quality goji berries. Found much cheaper ones at Asian markets but unfortunately those (and many on the market) were drier, tougher, and contain sulfur dioxide as a preservative ingredient. I didn't realize that until after I purchased a whole bunch of it thinking I made out like a bandit. Didn't notice the sulfur dioxide until after the store return period ended (5 days). Anyhow, so after 5 years from when I first started buying goji berries, I am still driven back to this brand and have been ordering it from Amazon since then. The price and quality is the best that I've ever seen. The dried berries are plumper and more moist (moister? moistier?) than any other I've bought.
on June 21, 2017
I was a little afraid of ordering this brand after reading the reviews about moldy and hard berries. But the bag we received was juicy and no mold. They tasted fantastic.
on June 20, 2017
These are great. My QiGong healer has me put them in chrysanthemum tea - what a great way to have goji berries, they soak up the warm water and are soft and moist.
VINE VOICEon November 14, 2016
The berries are great; the packaging is difficult to seal. I keep these on hand to snack on, toss on top of salads and cook into oatmeal; they are delicious in each application. Have purchased this product several times and will continue to do so; I just either keep them in a glass jar or seal the entire bag in a baggie that seals better. Excellent value for the price.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.