|Print List Price:||$24.99|
Save $17.00 (68%)
Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price set by seller.
Nearly Nero: The Adventures of Claudius Lyon, the Man Who Would Be Wolfe Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Never miss a new release from Simon Wood
Follow Simon Wood for new book notifications, email exclusives and more. Learn more
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
The Chair in his Office is not the famous yellow of the Wolfe Books but orange. His sidekick takes every advantage of him, rounding off checks to the next hundred and his Cook serves pigeon and charges the Boss for chicken. Still they all rub along...Saints and Sinners.
If you are familiar with the Nero Wolfe stories this book has some laugh out loud moments. The comparisons are adroit and very colorful but not always to Claudius Lyon's advantage may I add. He has the girth of Wolfe but very little else. His problems are much smaller but they get solved in a timely way. The comparison of Lyon's townhouse to anything Wolfe is very aptly described as working out of a Motel Six.
So if you are a fan of Nero Wolfe you will like Nearly Nero very much. And even if you haven't read the Wolfe Books there are plenty of comparisons to satisfy your curiosity and keep you reading. Each story is different and I enjoyed the characters very much.
My thanks to Netgalley and Gallery Books
“Lyon loved to read mysteries, but he knew he’d never have the energy to emulate Sherlock Holmes, or the physique to withstand and deliver beatings a la Sam Spade . . . Wolfe’s obesity and sedentary habits suited him right down to his wide bottom.”
These are the adventures of Claudius Lyon, Nero Wolfe-wannabe, as told by Arnie Woodbine, his chronicler, secretary, aide, and leg man. Unfortunately, everything about Lyon, from his five-foot, overweight frame to Arnie himself, is a little skewed from any resemblance to his idol.
Though there are no murders or mayhem, and absolutely no bullets, Lyon shines, in his own way as perspicacious as his idol. Most of the mysteries are no more than riddles instead of danger-fraught thrillers. In fact, they may remind some readers of those “brainteasers” they were subjected to in school. No matter. Each one is clever, filled with puns and acerbic wit as spoken by Arnie, and good fun to read.
Nearly Nero is an anthology that will appeal to both the Nerophyte as well as any reader who may not have had the good fortune to learn of Nero Wolfe. Claudius Lyon isn’t a poor substitute; he’s simply a very accomplished mini-me version of the master. Imitation is the best form of flattery, and Loren Estleman has flattered very well indeed.
This novel was supplied by the publisher and no remuneration was involved in the writing of this review. This excerpt is taken from the full-length review written for the New York Journal of Books Online.
Most recent customer reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories & Anthologies > Anthologies
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories & Anthologies > Short Stories
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Anthologies
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Crime
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Literary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Short Stories
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories > Single Authors
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > United States > Short Stories
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Crime Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Collections & Anthologies
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Private Investigators