Amazon Business Books with Buzz STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Travel Accessories Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 120 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 154 reviews
on November 19, 2011
This game is beautiful. The graphics are actually gorgeous, and the designers of the Frostbite 2 engine and the people who implemented it to should be proud of themselves.

That said, if I were a game designer on this and someone asked me what I'd been working on for the last two years...I'd lie.

1. There are quick-time events scattered throughout the game that demand that you push X, Y, A, B, etc. in a limited amount of time or you will die. On a PC, you may not be using a controller with these labels, and if you remap, it doesn't change what flashes on screen, so you get to die 30 times while trying to figure out which button they want you to push when they flash B at you insistently.

2. If you remap your controller, the game will forget you did so when you next start the game. So prepare to remap every single time.

3. The game has a system wherein if you get by a checkpoint and crash, you can then restart at that checkpoint. You have a limited number of these in a stage. Obviously, if you crash in the first leg (which will happen very frequently for reasons I will explain), you're better off just restarting than taking the deduction on the number of checkpoint restarts. The game shouldn't deduct one until you clear a checkpoint. How in the world did a tester not point that out?

4. The cars handle horrifically, but don't worry. On many of the courses you can just bounce off the track barriers and take hairpin turns at speed.

5. On the other hand, there are roads running parallel to the main street that if you get on them, your game ends. Or if you touch the arrow barriers marking the track, you will lose. Sometimes if you touch the grass on the shoulder, that's it. Other times you can drive many meters off the road in a shortcut. Feel free to engage in a lot of trial and error by losing.

6. The rubber-banding effect is insane. Being passed while at your car's absolute top speed because you got into the lead "too early" is infuriating. Watching a standard Crown Victoria police cruiser blow by you when you're driving 200+mph is infuriating. On the other hand, feel free on some missions to just sit a few seconds at the start line. You'll catch up. One of these days they need to make a game where the AI just drives. They don't cap their speed when you're behind them and they don't get a jet pack strapped to their car when you're ahead of them.

7. The gameplay types are not fun. Running from the cops in the Most Wanted/Carbon/Undercover trio involved using side streets and obstacles and hiding. In Hot Pursuit, you had abilities. Cops in this game are just around to ram you as you're driving and occasionally force you to lose a race because they've blocked your ability to turn or pull out right in front of you. There's no cleverness. There's no coordination. It would make as much sense if a pickup truck just stayed in front of you rolling barrels off the back.

8. The main character is unlikable.

9. You switch cars by pulling into optional gas stations along the way. Pulling into a gas station will, of course, make you lose time, so you are punished for driving a variety of cars. If that wasn't a strange enough design decision, sometimes they'll put the gas station at the end of the level, so you'll get to make a choice, "Do I want to switch cars and thus likely lose this race, or not?"

10. The manufacturers should get to have a say before this game is released. All else equal, given the vehicle handling, I'm now less inclined to buy any vehicle featured in this game. A walrus on roller skates could take a turn faster than some of these vehicles.

Last year's Hot Pursuit convinced me that it was worth spending $40+ on a Need for Speed title at loss. This has proven me wrong. If you love racing games and gotta have a fix, try and hold off until it's $19.99 at least. You can't get a refund on these downloads, else I would have handed it back in after 20 minutes.
1414 comments| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2011
I was more excited to get hold of this installment than previous ones because it featured driving in known locations in the US, but in the end that's about all it has going for it. The game itself is too easy, the main 'character' is so bad you almost want to crash on purpose, there's barely any cop interaction (and you can't take the cop role in this one), the interactive cut scenes are condescending, and the characters you defeat start repeating towards the end of the game (didn't I already run this guy off the road? How'd he get into 2nd place?). The worst for me though is that on some challenges you can overshoot a corner for a second and it forces a restart - why not let the undergrowth slow the car or cause it to flip with dramatic consequences, like it might if you really hit a grass verge at 200mph? Instead you get an immediate restart screen that drags you back to the reality that you're not really driving on the edge in a race across America to save your own life, but instead learning to drive within the limits of the game to get a good enough finishing position to see the next city in America in the hope you'll recognize some landmark that you can smash your character's face into. At one point the dialogue is so bad that the sponsor chick says, 'Be careful Jack, no race is worth risking your life over'. Well actually it is, if you believe the premise that Jack has to win the race or he'll be killed by mobsters. I wish them luck.
on June 18, 2013
I've shelled out money on the entire franchise (except for Shift and console-only) for over 20 years, and have finally started to roll my eyes at where it's ended up. Still, I'm hooked enough to play this, and am enjoying it.

Pros:
1) I really enjoy the cross-country theme. Not much is repetitive, and that's a huge deal to me.
2) Graphics are pretty sweet.
3) (SPOILER) Avalanche. Wow. Seriously, WOW. I don't think I've had my adrenaline pump in ANY game as much as during that section in this game.
4) Action sequences. I think they added to the story, and I actually didn't mind that I had some input into an extended cut-scene. (However ... controls!)

Cons:
1) Controls. This game seriously pissed me off. When I failed to re-map the accelerate/brake to stick #2 on my Logitech Dual, I figured that maybe it was time to do what the game was hinting at and get an X-BOX controller for my PC. I spent $40 on it, plugged it in, and got the EXACT same mapping. Or should I say 'UNABILITY to re-map'. Nope, you will NOT use a stick as a throttle in this game. I tried using the X-BOX emulator software (as well as XPADDER), and found that the game simply would not UN-map throttle and view-look keys on either gamepad. Closest I came was with XPADDER .... throttle mapped to stick #2, but hah ... so still was the view/look. Arrgh. Anyway, I had to re-learn to use buttons for throttle ... which is how I used to play 10 years ago with older gamepads. Haha, but that's not enough defeat from this game: every once in awhile when you start up a game, your (force-ably flawed) mapping has reset itself to default. Arrgggh.
2) The action sequences. Enh. Since I wasn't used to an X-BOX controller, I had some difficulty knowing where the heck A, B, X, Y were. This wasn't insurmountable, though, and I was able to get by those areas.

Sooo ... the racing is kind of fun. I haven't played online yet. Probably won't.
on March 10, 2016
The game is very fun. I liked the story mode of the game.The idea of driving from west to east coast is pretty good. The game does not have free roam but has stages you have to pass like pass x amount of cars or win the race. You get to pick a car in the beginning of the stage which is different from each stage, you start out with slow cars then get faster and faster cars. The driving physics of the game is like the newer Need For Speed games and it's fine, you get used to the driving physics. The game performance is good, running the highest settings on 1080 with intel i5 2320, xfx 7850 2gb and 8 GB of ram and has no problems.
on January 16, 2013
The first need for speed was wonderful, and simple. Just a bunch of cars the normal guy could never do more than dream of driving, that you could race. from there things have gone down hill need for speed 2 lowered the detail of the cars, but added a few more name tags, then they went and added cars that you had to find a way to unlock (not at all simple and straight forward like the first one).

Then they added police chases (which was a lot of fun until you figured out that all you had to do was keep driving and ignore them), then the police got a bit smarter and harder to avoid (spike strips are very annoying).

Then things really got stupid when they started making games about cars that anyone can pick up for almost nothing. Of course there were mods and such to make them run better and a back story to go with it but that's not at all what need for speed started out to do. It was a simple idea that had go terribly wrong. when you start a game with a used Mazda or nissan as your car, you feel a bit ripped off, it used to be corvettes, lambo's, and Ferrari's

Don't get me wrong they were fun games, but something has been missing, they have fallen from the need for speed ideal to being about making, well basiclly just another game for the masses, that is so much like other racing games that it doesn't matter much if you get a need for speed game or the other one.

Then they made the new hot pursuit, which stood out from the drivel they have been putting out, and was a good game, not quite as straight forward as the first game, but everyone has to evolve with the times. There is a great selection of high end cars and allot places to drive them. so I was pulled back into the need for speed world, and decided to try to get them all (what a waste of money).

The run is kinda of a take of of the old as dirt movie cannonball run, or gumball rally if you prefer. They are both old as heck and have the same story line. Basically your in a race across the u.s.a. The problem with this game is obvious from the start. You have to interact with what should just be the starting back story shot, need for speed is about driving, not getting out of a car, the game should have started when you got into the car, not before, whoever came up with that idea should be drug out in the street and flogged. Then when you get in the car it says to get away from the mob, Okay no problem, lets just go up here a bit and grab a side street after letting them get just a bit of a lead, NOT. This game doesn't let you take side streets to evade anyone it makes you just go one direction, its a race to the finish where a train gets them off your tail, Dull, unimaginative, and just plain lame.

Then you get to race across the country in short stages, of about 4 miles but when it shows your progress the 12 miles you have raced is shown as 145 miles. You race from checkpoint to checkpoint with no other racers around for a stage, then they let you race other racers, but only a few, and tell you how many you have to pass in order to pass the stage. I don't know what they were thinking when they made this game. If this is your first need for speed game I apologize on behalf of the makers of the game, and ask that you please try one out the new hot pursuit, at least give the need for speed name a second chance with a game that's worth playing.

If you haven't purchased this game already, DON'T!!!! get another racing game that will hold your interest long enough to play it for more time than it takes to install.
on March 1, 2013
I am a need for speed freak. I have bought every need for speed game since they first started making them. I have an old computer I built just to play my older versions that will not run with modern hardware or operating system. This game is set up for X-box and it frustratingly shows while trying to play it. First off it does not save your controller settings. eveytime you log in you have to re-map your controller buttons. Their are some action scenes that require you to press X,Y,A or B really fast to complete them. This is a tad confusing and frustrating if you are not using an x-box controller. I had to keep repeating these segments until I figured the buttons out. I tried to use my x-box controller for the game it installed fine on my computer but of course the game did not recognize it. The keyboard functions do not work well either. Example would be "press B to continue" so any sane person would press b on the keyboard to find out that it does not work. it is mapped to a different location. Near the end of the game it kept crashing not fun during chase levels and of course after it crashes it is time to remap your controller keys again. My computer is new and the video card temp did not go above 48c (using msi sfterburner to control fan speed) and cpu temp stayed at 42c. So it was not my computer. I did love the graphics although they are capped at 30 fps no matter what seems a shame.
I loved the game itself when I was able to play it. your always moving forward everything feels new. The game really gets your energy pumping. I got the game stable enough to complete it. it only took a couple hours from start to finish I felt robbed but most games these days are way to short for the money you spend.
on November 19, 2012
Video game was created as console game but was "ported" to PC- Yes
I am a PC gamer. To me that means I only game on PC. I occasionally buy games I know were not developed for PC play and "takes my chances" this was one of those. Was the "port=job" well done and intuitive or did it complicate control of the game- Yes and no. The driving controls were easily mapped however you wanted. I had a problem with my mapping scheme resetting to default sometimes between play sessions so I adapted by checking it before play each time I loaded the game. There are some cut scenes where you are required to participate in some ways that have nothing to do with driving. Things like escaping a wrecked car, running from people or helicopters shooting at you, jumping barriers etc. It's kind of annoying because you don't get the PC standard W-S-A-D-SPACEBAR layout for controls. What happens is it runs like a movie and they flash a random key onscreen, bottom, center that you will need to push in order to have the game character perform whatever actions necessary to continue. It's easy and kind of stupid. It is like having a normal game storyline cut scene except they break up your immersion in the story by forcing you to push a random key occasionally. I don't know for sure, but something tells me the porting made this worse. I just hated it. It was distracting and cheap.

Was the game fun overall? Yes
Once into the racing, the physics and eye-candy are all there. The way they break the race up is OK, I don't mind the fact that you never get the feeling the racers you are passing even know you exist or even that they have their nitrous button slaved to yours. Really, it's not the greatest but I have played much worse from this franchise. I think Hot Pursuit or even Carbon is a much better game if not as pretty. Lovely graphics with lots of obvious shortcuts are nice. The best thing about The Run might be the actual physics of the cars and the wreck factor is nice too. I like games where you are wrecked if you hit something at 200 MPH. I also managed to get the impression of crossing the whole continent with the varying landscapes. Very nice work that.

Installation was a walk in the park. I have had a lot of experience with Steam and Origin over the last few years so before I even put a disk in; I first try to activate it on Steam and then Origin only if I must. I hate Origin. Origin accepted the serial and added it to my library. I downloaded it with Origin and patched it. The game was up and running fully patched in about an hour and twenty minutes with my 14M cable connection. I have Win7 Ultimate X64 with a Phenom X6 3.1 CPU. I am running 16GB of DDR3. The only bug experienced was losing my key mapping occasionally. It was moderately annoying. I use the keyboard for control of most non flight games because Win7 left my Logitech wheel behind and I am stubborn. I would bet money this game would rock with a good wheel.

This review is on a game I paid less than $8 shipped for. If I had paid $60 for it, this would all have a different and more angry tone. I feel like they messed the game up trying to exploit the "Frostbyte" graphic engine in ways we didn't want to start with. So 4 stars for an $8 game 1 star if it had been full pop $60
on November 17, 2012
Well the title says it all. THIS IS FOR THE PC DOWNLOAD

This review is about both the Amazon download of this game and the game itself

First the download...
It took me downloading this game 3 times between two different computers and trying to install it before I gave up and had to contact Origin. I searched amazon high and low, googled everything i could to see if someone else may have experienced this problem and came up empty.. the best response that I received was looking at the FAQ which pretty much said "contact manufacturer". Amazon had no solution for not being able to install the game and the screen reading "insert disc to finish install" every time I tried. ITS A DOWNLOAD, why would I have to insert a game disc when ITS A DOWNLOAD. It wasn't until I contacted Origin and went through having to download the game for the fourth time directly from them that the game started working... Purchasing this game and downloading it with the Amazon Software Download app then having to turn around and download it again from Origin REALLY doesn't sit well with me and was a complete waste of time..

NOW FOR THE GAME ITSELF..
I have always been a fan of The NFS Franchise's storyline and the graphics in the storyline since the first NFS Most Wanted and I am still a fan.. They always have really good storylines behind racing. Its like a very, very, very, very lite version of an RPG. In "The Run" mode I am not so happy with having no garage and having to switch cars by trying to pull in a gas station in the middle of a race to switch cars. Call me crazy, but when I am in a race I don't want to have to think about anything else but the race itself. If I wanted pitstops in a game then I would have loaded up Gran Turismo. NFS gets a serious THUMBS DOWN for that one. Another thing that needs improvement is the multiplayer mode. Though I have only played the game for about a week, I did not see any type of mode to where I can play with someone in the same room hooked up to the same computer. The online multiplayer is cool because you don't know who you are racing and it builds up your skills faster than anything else but I like some good old fashioned multiplayer racing too where I can talk trash or get trash talked to me by someone in the same room. For someone who are a bit of a lone ranger with video gaming this is not a plus.. ESPECIALLY considering that you have to play the multiplayer mode to unlock some of the best cars to use in THE RUN mode. That type of feature should be an option and not a requiremnent. Maybe set it up to where you can unlock a car faster in multiplayer than playing by yourself.. Also, what happened to being able to load up game and jump straight into a quick race against the computer?.

That being said, the game itself isn't the greatest that the NFS Franchise has done and I am glad that I waited soo long to purchase it. This review would have been MUCH worse if I had paid the initial asking price for it. I still give it three stars because it is a different challenge to automatically start every race in last place and try to finish in first. I love how you can hit oncoming traffic and will most likely total your car as well as cause so much damage to your car that it totals. Why?, because I started playing Gran Turismo 3 before NFS. I have lost a couple of races to people who would just bump up against a wall and spray nitrous all over the place who were not better than me. I'm not saying that they cheated and know that its specifically game preference but, personally, its a little irritating to lose that way than to someone who is purely a better racer than you are. The last part is strictly personal preference in what I expect from any kind of racing game and not a reflection on the quality of the game itself......

THREE STARS TO NEED FOR SPEED THE RUN
on June 23, 2013
I considered not buying this nfs game because people kept writing about its various faults. But with only 5 euros, i wanted to give it a try. And funnily, game had nearly all these flaws ppl thought it had, but i still liked it very much. Even more i had hoped for.

Sure, the story is lame and you cant fast forward boring cut scenes. Sometimes it even forces you to "play" these cut scenes by pressing space or enter at right times. Sure, it's lame that often times you can drive 200km/h to wall and get away with it. Driving away from the road somehow treats your error randomily or mapwise; sometimes you get autoreset and sometimes nothing. And the rubberband effect with fellow drivers is frustrating.

Its way too short. Campaing lasts only few hours. But you have countless hours to go at the challenge modes, which are pretty cool. And the campaing, short as it is, is very fun, nice to go.

With cheap price, i would certainly recommend it. With all its faults, i still had very much fun with it. Graphics are very beautiful. Tracks are fun to drive and the general mood is thrilling and fun. I might buy next nfs game with similar faults some years later.
on October 8, 2013
Saw this game long time ago. Yes its 2011 game review in 2013. Lacked the hardware to play it in all its glory at the time. Wanted to pickup then but pricing did stayed very high for a long while. But pricing looks better now. Great story and challenging race areas. Did like the driving through areas of the USA. Need more races maps maybe the NFS The Run 2? Racing Through exploding blast mountain and mob chasing you through exploding flammable factory were cool to race through a bit scary. Very fun to play. Police AI needs to be more aggressive catching racers. They good but need more police. Some race parts are hard with a keyboard. Going over 200 MPH + through certain maps make the car hard to control. Pc Controller would have been more helpful. Certain parts need certain cars to get through for record times. Its also about excellent driving skills for curves and turns and getting through heavy traffic.

Downside ould be the a long transition to race between maps and price to come down on game.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.