Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Foo Fighters PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 1, 2008, 2:40:55 PM PST
Hi, if I'm not playing on-line games or the arcade, can I get by just fine with the free Platinum? Meaning, can I still get required game patches, the patch programs for the older Xbox games that I might own, and buy stuff (with points, of course) at the Marketplace? Gold seems to be excellent and worth it for on-line gaming, and I know there's some special preview stuff, mabye even some occasional promotional freebies, but if I just want to stick to my store bought games, in solo mode, is Platinum sufficient?........
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2008, 10:22:28 PM PST
Z Weakley says:
yes, and no. Yes, you will be able to play newer xbox 360 games and will be able to download certain things such as music videos and movies if you only have silver. I recomend buying gold because it allows you to play arcade games as well as play online games such as Call of Duty 4 which is a wowzer if i may say so myself. I hope this has helped.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2008, 12:05:05 AM PST
B. Rutledge says:
The only reason you would need a Gold membership is to play with other people online. If you don't want to play with other people online, then the free Silver membership is for you. You can still buy microsoft points and rent movies, tv shows, buy arcade games, send/receive messages, get game updates, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2008, 1:40:43 PM PST
Winst says:
You are recommending that this person buys gold because it suits your needs. That wasn't the question. He's saying he just wants to be able to play solo games (probably to avoid 12 year old kids with potty mouths and no social skills, I can relate) and you do not need gold for that. Also, you can download games from the Arcade with a silver account. Either way, you still have to buy points.

Posted on Mar 3, 2009, 4:52:09 PM PST
CynNC says:
If I am understanding this correctly, if all you want to do "online" with your xbox 360 is movies, market place and "solo" gaming then you do NOT need the gold membership ... just need a broadband connection, correct ... ??? If that is correct, do you have to buy their 90-100 dollar wireless adapter ..?? We have a linksys router in the house for our computers, could we get another linksys receiver for xbox and get online ... ??? I do not know anything about the xbox, just bought one for my son and we are trying to figure it all out, I would greatly appreciate any tips. THANKS ..... Cyndi

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2009, 5:31:13 PM PST
Hi Cyndi, I'm glad to help on your question. I was in your exact same position (new to XBox) when I first started this post. Since then, I am now "experienced", ha! So here's the thing- you're correct about the Gold membership. It's needed almost solely for online gaming. Everything else can be handled with the (free) Platinum membership. I was fine with that for awhile, but then my 13 yr. old son finally dragged me into having to go "Gold" over Xmas because he wanted to play Call of Duty with his school buddys over the holidays. Beware, this will eventually happen to you, ha!

But now regarding the hookup. If you can get a CAT5 cable to your Xbox from your Linksys Router then you're done! It works basically just like another computer hookup. I ended up doing this eventually, just to take advantage of the better speed from a wired hookup. But, at first, I did go wireless for awhile. That's what Microsoft's wireless adapter is meant to achieve. But I refused to give another $100 to Microsoft and so I soon discovered that, basically, most "gaming" wireless adapters would work. Linksys makes them, mine was a D-Link. Check on Amazon, and you'll find them for half the cost of the Xbox brand. The key word is "gaming" wireless adapter. Not just any wireless adapter will work. It has to be a "gaming" adapter so that it can be configured with a computer and then moved over and used on a gaming consol- where you don't normally have the configuration capabilities.
I hope this helps. I was anxious to help you since I think I was in "exactly" your same position 6 months ago.
Good luck, and ask again if I can clarify anything.
jk

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2009, 6:11:18 AM PDT
Yes you can still stick with the initial Silver Membership (It is not called Platinum) if you plan on not playing in any on-line gaming.

Posted on Nov 30, 2009, 1:48:01 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 30, 2009, 1:49:40 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 2, 2009, 4:50:23 PM PST
Zhu says:
Hi I am new to xbox 360. Just bought one last week. Then my friend told me Xbox has serious overheat and E74 problem. Is that really popular among all xboxes? And what is the gamertag? thanks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Feb 1, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 2, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

This discussion is about