Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on August 19, 2014
Pretty great. I have used it in a couple of shoots since I got it, its very consistent and very bright. I'll upload some pictures.
review imagereview image
44 comments| 359 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 29, 2011
Check out this video review of the CN-160. I highly recommend using this light. It was a lifesaver in a low light wedding event. I mainly shoot video, so this light is awesome for the $$. This light is so bright, I've even used it as a fill light in various lighting situations.

Update:
After using the light a little longer, I'm still a huge fan for the price. However, I should mention a couple of cons (all of which are minor imo).
1. The tungsten filter is too orange for my tastes. So, if you are relying on this light because of the tungsten filter, you may want to reconsider or make your own filter. There's a nice little slot where the filters slide into.
2. The construction is plastic, however, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's cheap plastic. I feel comfortable with the construction, but don't expect it to be indestructible.

All in all, this light still gets 5 stars.
5150+ comments| 2,296 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 27, 2015
Fast setups! I have used pro gear, and I have used these. I have to say I was really impressed with what I was able to achieve in such a short amount of time with these lights. They are light, easy to move (when on stands), and easy to control.

The first still is from a night shoot that we had zero ambient light for. I setup a 300W softbox in the back, and lit mostly with about 4-5 of these LED lights. The dimmers are a must, because sometimes you just need to bring out a little texture in the background, but not the whole deal.

The second still shows how the light performs as an edge/back light, I also used a second light to bring out the ambulance, and that's where the dimmer comes in handy. His key was two 300w soft boxes. (I'm not saying this is an amazing lighting setup, but, just wanted to show how they can work in a professional environment - they are so quick and simple.)

The 3rd and 4th stills highlight a cool effect that I just recently started doing, which is pointing these lights right into the camera just off frame to give flares when you're just shooting fairly static and inactive B-roll. With a heavy tungsten light, this would be an arduous ordeal, but, because the lights are so light, portable, and dimmable, it takes a few minutes to get a really cool effect.

If I had to do it over again, I would have sprung for the F970 batts for just a little more peace of mind. I have about six of the F550s, which, are good for about an hour, but, if you're doing any sort of serious shooting and you're trying to move quickly, and then you have to hold up the interview because you need to change out a batt on your lights, that's pretty bad.

Excellent overall though, when used correctly. I have three in my light kit at all times.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
11 comment| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 29, 2014
I bought this item last year and used it once until yesterday (3/28/14) - the 2nd time I used this. Disappointingly, the on/dimmer dial broke as I barely placed pressure on it when turning it on. I can hear a small piece rattling inside the unit. I'm very careful with all my equipment and the light was always housed in the cardboard box it came in so I know it wasn't thrown around or misused.

And as my title indicated, I would've rated this 5 stars if not for the defective part which is probably the most important part of the item, so I give it a 1 star rating. I can no longer turn the light on or off and obviously can't use the dimmer function. I guess the only good thing is that I can still use it at full power when all the batteries are installed, but I have to take at least 1 battery out to turn the unit off.

I'm very disappointed because it was great during my initial use.

UPDATE:

I took the unit apart and fixed the dial so that it now works. It was an easy fix so I guess I'll give it a true rating of 4 stars now. I'll leave off a star just because the dial will probably come loose again eventually when it shouldn't have after 2 uses. I'll also leave the 1 star rating so that more people will likely read the review and know how to fix it if they should ever encounter the same issue.

To fix, remove all batteries and remove all 4 screws from the back of the unit. That will remove the front cover lip (for lack of a better description) to give access to the 4 screws on the corner of the led light panel. Remove those 4 screws and you'll be able to lift the led panel along with a 2nd panel to gain access to the dial. What happened with my unit was that the screw that held the dial in place unscrewed itself and the dial came off it's spool. Luckily the screw didn't fall out of the unit so I repositioned the dial, replaced the screw, and tightened. Over-tightening will cause the dial to not turn very easily, but if you under-tighten, you take a chance of the screw coming out eventually. Anyway, replace panels and all screws.
11 comment| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 2, 2016
The NEEWER CN 160 LED light is a great way to brighten up your videos or pictures. It has a connection for the hot shoe, and it also is adjustable so you can point it any direction you prefer. The light has a dial so you can adjust how bright or dim you would like your light to be. I will say though it does get very bright so using it without a filter can make your shots look extremely lit up, however with this set you get two separate filters. The filters are meant to use for different filming situations, they give you a yellow toned filter to give you a warmer color or to use when you are inside using indoor lighting, you also get a white filter for more softer lighter shots, this can be used when you are outside or by a window using natural light. It is very compact and portable so it would be great to take when you are traveling. The only thing I found to be bothersome is that it doesn't come with a battery so if you want to use this right out of the box you will need to purchase one or you can use 6 AA batteries. It does drain the AA batteries really fast so you're going to want to purchase tons of these or I would suggest buying a couple that are meant for this light.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on March 4, 2013
UPDATE 2014/10/01

This Light has come in very handy on more than one occasion. I originally purchased this for my Guam trip as you can read below but it works for so much more. Any time there is lower lighting indoors and I don't have my flashes with me this does the job very well. In fact is does it so well I'm purchasing more of these as a cheap solution to softboxes as they are completely adjustable. Only downside to these is the batteries but I have TONS of those. If you are interested in these beware that I own 60+ AA batteries and if you purchase more than one it will take many to get through a lengthy shoot or video. On the plus side no LED bulbs have gone out and these are extremely low maintenance with no loss of brightness through the whole range of battery charge and are EXTREMELY bright when at their brightest setting.

UPDATE 2013/07/06

I've had the oppurtunity to bring this light with me on a TDY with me to Guam and visit some caves with water in them. Without the light there is no way i would have been able to get the pictures I have. This light is so bright it lit up a 60x60 ft cave and got me some pretty good pictures alot of people wouldn't have been able to get. On top of that the battery life out of this thing is amazing and I found the batteries don't overheat inside the houseing with is a HUGE plus in my book. Plus the fact that it mounts on a tripod is super awesome... Would highly reccomend if you are going somewhere with low light and don't have the room to pack your lighting kit.

2013/02/02

Bought this for a trip for my camera to be able to focus in the dark. Hard to do without a good light and this thing packs a mean punch! For the money it everything u could ask for...
review imagereview image
on January 14, 2016
I purchased this for night photography after a friend recommended it. There's a dail on the side you can use to gradually turn up the power on the light. I turn this on half power with the diffuser panel attached for night portraits with couples. It also works great without the diffuser panel for detail shots at receptions and ring shots. The only reason I gave this four stars is because it does not include the battery or charger. I feel for $30 it should include those items.
review image
on June 14, 2016
It worked good for awhile then this happened...
review image
55 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 26, 2017
NEEWER 160 LED CN-160 Dimmable Ultra High Power Panel Digital Camera / Camcorder Video Light, LED Light for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Panasonic,SONY, Samsung and Olympus Digital SLR Cameras

I purchased this light panel in 2014. At the time, I was really interested in video production and I needed a powerful but light and affordable light system. My camera rig consisted of a Canon 70D mounted to an Opteka X-GRIP, which is basically just a simple, foam-handled camera grip. Now I did not realize this when I bought X-GRIP, but this exact combination was popular with skateboarders. It is because they can glide down the road carrying their SLR in one or two hands, and simultaneously record smooth footage of their ride. Furthermore, I noticed many of these skaters shot at nighttime. In order to capture their footage, they mounted a powerful, little light panel to the hot shoe that’s built into the top of their Opteka X-GRIP. It’s nifty, little setup. After seeing how powerful the light is, I decided to purchase two CN-160 light panels for myself.

Budget Three-Point Lighting
Now I’m not a skateboarder. I was just a budget videographer who needed a cheap and portable three-point lighting system. The CN-160 was the answer to my problem. Once again, I am not a professional videographer. However, I was able to create professional looking stuff using two of these light panels plus the cheap soft box I already owned. Of course, I needed to attach each one to a light stand, which was an additional purchase. (I purchased the cheapest Cowboy Studio light stands I could find on Amazon.) I also needed to order two light stand adapters. I went with high quality Manfrotto adapters. You do not want to cheap out when it comes to this. The plastic ones break too easily. I think if you’re trying to produce your own YouTube videos, this is a good product for you. If you’re trying to pull off professional lighting for a paid gig like a wedding or glamour shoot, you might want to look into more professional stuff. However, if you’re just getting into videography, this is more than adequate. Just be sure to purchase two. Also, make sure you have light stands and adapters so you can position the panels anywhere and make adjustments on the fly.

Not Just For Videography
I use my CN-160 light panel every day and that is not an exaggeration. My apartment is kind of dim. My family is always complaining about the lack of light fixtures. I’ve been meaning to address that issue, but lately I find myself using my light panel for countless every day activities. For example, it’s a great reading light, especially if you pair it with a flexible tripod such as a GorillaPod. Simply position it on your nightstand and use the dimmer switch to adjust its level of power. (It is extremely bright. You won’t need to use its highest setting.) I also use the CN-160 to do repairs around the house. It certainly came in handy when I had to work underneath the kitchen sink. It’s easier to set up than a plastic droplight and you don’t need to deal with a 25-foot extension cord. I’ve even used it to change my car battery at night. This light panel has helped me on dozens of little jobs. I bought this light panel to help me with my videography and I’m not even doing that anymore. So I’m glad it’s getting plenty of use instead of collecting dust in my junk box.

Battery Life
According to its Amazon description, the CN-160 will accept several different types of rechargeable batteries, which are produced by Sony and Panasonic. I simply didn’t feel like purchasing those special battery packs. I simply use rechargeable AA batteries (Panasonic Eneloop). The CN-160 requires six AA batteries. Sometimes when I fall asleep reading, I forget to switch off the light panel. Nine hours later, the light is down to about 20 percent, but still quite bright. I don’t know how many hours NEEWER promises, but I’m happy with my battery life. I will admit that if I were using regular, non-rechargeable batteries, it probably would start to get expensive.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on November 25, 2017
 Yes, that is very bright!!

Just like thousands of other YouTube video producers, I started looking for an introductory lighting solution for my studio recordings. I saw how popular Neewer LED lights were with the CN-160 getting particularly favorable reviews so i picked up the Neewer CN AC to DC power converter to avoid buying batteries by the dozen. The Neewer combination of lights and battery pack solution was a good choice. Paired together, you have consistent, quality, powerful lighting. I paid $32 for the LED light, and $16 for the battery power. I felt the battery pack was a bit expensive, considering that was 50% of the cost of the light rig, but I really dislike buying batteries for high-drain electronic devices. The light powered on instantly when plugged in and runs consistently with no light fluctuation.

The NEEWER 160 LED CN-160 is bright!! I mean, you’re not going to look down the eyeline directly of this guy. I use at about 10% of capacity and its plenty bright for eliminating shadows on my face opposite the other light source. The threading device works great for my desktop stand I borrowed from a microphone.

Neewer CN-AC2 DC 7.5V 2A Switching Power will save you a lot of battery money and stress over the life of your light. It works easily, and immediately. Installation takes twenty seconds and you’re ready to go.

Support my channel by picking up your own Neewer light with my referral link - http://amzn.to/2k3GczG
Or the battery pack for the Neewer 160 LED light you already own! - http://amzn.to/2iQpqR5