Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 3,234 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,422 reviews
on December 29, 2011
Check out this video review of the CN-160. I highly recommend using this light. It was a lifesaver in a low light wedding event. I mainly shoot video, so this light is awesome for the $$. This light is so bright, I've even used it as a fill light in various lighting situations.

Update:
After using the light a little longer, I'm still a huge fan for the price. However, I should mention a couple of cons (all of which are minor imo).
1. The tungsten filter is too orange for my tastes. So, if you are relying on this light because of the tungsten filter, you may want to reconsider or make your own filter. There's a nice little slot where the filters slide into.
2. The construction is plastic, however, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's cheap plastic. I feel comfortable with the construction, but don't expect it to be indestructible.

All in all, this light still gets 5 stars.
9898 comments| 2,156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2014
Pretty great. I have used it in a couple of shoots since I got it, its very consistent and very bright. I'll upload some pictures.
review image review image
44 comments| 295 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2015
Fast setups! I have used pro gear, and I have used these. I have to say I was really impressed with what I was able to achieve in such a short amount of time with these lights. They are light, easy to move (when on stands), and easy to control.

The first still is from a night shoot that we had zero ambient light for. I setup a 300W softbox in the back, and lit mostly with about 4-5 of these LED lights. The dimmers are a must, because sometimes you just need to bring out a little texture in the background, but not the whole deal.

The second still shows how the light performs as an edge/back light, I also used a second light to bring out the ambulance, and that's where the dimmer comes in handy. His key was two 300w soft boxes. (I'm not saying this is an amazing lighting setup, but, just wanted to show how they can work in a professional environment - they are so quick and simple.)

The 3rd and 4th stills highlight a cool effect that I just recently started doing, which is pointing these lights right into the camera just off frame to give flares when you're just shooting fairly static and inactive B-roll. With a heavy tungsten light, this would be an arduous ordeal, but, because the lights are so light, portable, and dimmable, it takes a few minutes to get a really cool effect.

If I had to do it over again, I would have sprung for the F970 batts for just a little more peace of mind. I have about six of the F550s, which, are good for about an hour, but, if you're doing any sort of serious shooting and you're trying to move quickly, and then you have to hold up the interview because you need to change out a batt on your lights, that's pretty bad.

Excellent overall though, when used correctly. I have three in my light kit at all times.
review image review image review image review image
on April 13, 2015
I got this light about a week ago in hopes to use it at a wedding I was shooting video for. The last wedding I shot was a little too dark, so I figured this would help me have more light but not enough to hog the attention from the bride and groom. I played around with this light as soon as I got it and I loved it immediately! I didn't have my hopes too high just because it was a little cheaper. I figured I was getting what I paid for. However, I must say that I feel as if I have gotten more than what I paid for.

I was only able to use this light once during the wedding shoot I had this past weekend, but it turned out perfectly! I was trying to capture a video of the bride's rings and the groom's ring next to each other. The sunlight would have been able to light the rings how I wanted, but I obviously could not control it. Instead I sat in a shaded area, turned on my light, and started recording. The shot turned out perfectly and I have this light to thank for that!

I would like to see the light attach to the camera a little better. I tried to tighten it the whole way to make it less wobbly, but I could never get it as tight as I wish I could have. This really did not cause much of a problem for me, as I was just more careful about how I held my camera with the light attached to it. I never found myself worrying about it staying on the camera and I certainly never stressed over it falling off. It was just a little loose, but everything turned out okay.

Overall, I think this light is great. As I said earlier, I have not used it as much as I would like to have used it. It has been almost a week since I have gotten it and there have been a few days where I have just played around with it. There may be problems that arise in the future, but I really think that this light is more than perfect for what you pay. I would recommend a case for the light to make sure it is protected. I'm not sure if the company sells one for it or not, but I just used an old camera bag for an old camcorder and it fit perfectly in that. That bag, of course, was padded and was the exact size to hold the light.

I have uploaded some photos I took with the light, hoping you can see how well it works. I took each picture with a t3i and will tell you the shutter speed for each individual one.I had my camera set to Automatic WB and I changed the shutter speed to whatever my camera said was perfect lighting. I know the lighting will look similar in most pictures, but hopefully the shutter speed will give you an idea of what your camera setting would need to be in order to achieve the look you want. I hope this gives you an idea of how the light will work!

With 3200k diffuser, lowest level- 1/6
With 3200k diffuser, highest level- 1/400
Without diffuser, lowest level- 1/30
Without diffuser, highest level- 1/1000
With diffuser, lowest level- 1/20
With diffuser, highest level- 1/640
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on March 29, 2014
I bought this item last year and used it once until yesterday (3/28/14) - the 2nd time I used this. Disappointingly, the on/dimmer dial broke as I barely placed pressure on it when turning it on. I can hear a small piece rattling inside the unit. I'm very careful with all my equipment and the light was always housed in the cardboard box it came in so I know it wasn't thrown around or misused.

And as my title indicated, I would've rated this 5 stars if not for the defective part which is probably the most important part of the item, so I give it a 1 star rating. I can no longer turn the light on or off and obviously can't use the dimmer function. I guess the only good thing is that I can still use it at full power when all the batteries are installed, but I have to take at least 1 battery out to turn the unit off.

I'm very disappointed because it was great during my initial use.

UPDATE:

I took the unit apart and fixed the dial so that it now works. It was an easy fix so I guess I'll give it a true rating of 4 stars now. I'll leave off a star just because the dial will probably come loose again eventually when it shouldn't have after 2 uses. I'll also leave the 1 star rating so that more people will likely read the review and know how to fix it if they should ever encounter the same issue.

To fix, remove all batteries and remove all 4 screws from the back of the unit. That will remove the front cover lip (for lack of a better description) to give access to the 4 screws on the corner of the led light panel. Remove those 4 screws and you'll be able to lift the led panel along with a 2nd panel to gain access to the dial. What happened with my unit was that the screw that held the dial in place unscrewed itself and the dial came off it's spool. Luckily the screw didn't fall out of the unit so I repositioned the dial, replaced the screw, and tightened. Over-tightening will cause the dial to not turn very easily, but if you under-tighten, you take a chance of the screw coming out eventually. Anyway, replace panels and all screws.
on June 14, 2016
It worked good for awhile then this happened...
review image
55 comments| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2011
This video light looks similar to one I paid $100.00 for over a year ago except it has been improved. This video light is much brighter and the adjustable bracket has been "beefed up" and holds steady. The original versions arm would flop down over the course of the evening but this one doesn't do that. I shoot weddings several times a year and I find that if I use two of these on stands to light up a dance floor and use one on my video camera I never have a lighting problem. This company has the best price that I have found, enough so where you can afford to purchase several to light up dark areas of your video shoot. A great light and a great deal.
44 comments| 268 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2013
I am a professional photographer and cinematographer. I have been using this light for quite some time now and really love it. As others have said, it does have a green spike, but the provided minus green filter (the pink one) does the trick in removing that spike. I have found that the minus green filter they provided is almost exactly the same grade as Rosco 1/4 Minus Green so if you ever lose the plastic one, just get the Rosco replacement (single sheet is only $5) I threw away the orange plastic filter they provided because it is just terrible. It is supposed to convert the light into tungsten, but instead it just casts an ugly orange. I NEVER used it.

It is a little spotty, but nothing diffusion can't fix. The output on this unit is pretty impressive. I have used it for talking head interviews, photography close-ups, independent films for those small space. You can even use it for fill in certain situations in daylight. This is a great light modeling tool too. I simply put the light in my hand and move it around my subject to mold how and where I want my shadows to fall. This gives me a quick idea on how I am going to position my main lights. I also cut a piece of black foam core with a circle in the middle to turn this into a catch light. That way, the pupils reflect a pleasing circular shape opposed to a square one. The flexibility and range of use with this light is fantastic. I highly recommend.
22 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2016
The NEEWER CN 160 LED light is a great way to brighten up your videos or pictures. It has a connection for the hot shoe, and it also is adjustable so you can point it any direction you prefer. The light has a dial so you can adjust how bright or dim you would like your light to be. I will say though it does get very bright so using it without a filter can make your shots look extremely lit up, however with this set you get two separate filters. The filters are meant to use for different filming situations, they give you a yellow toned filter to give you a warmer color or to use when you are inside using indoor lighting, you also get a white filter for more softer lighter shots, this can be used when you are outside or by a window using natural light. It is very compact and portable so it would be great to take when you are traveling. The only thing I found to be bothersome is that it doesn't come with a battery so if you want to use this right out of the box you will need to purchase one or you can use 6 AA batteries. It does drain the AA batteries really fast so you're going to want to purchase tons of these or I would suggest buying a couple that are meant for this light.
review image review image review image review image review image
on February 7, 2016
This light is excellent. BUT! I did not receive the battery cover that was suppose to come with it.
review image