Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Nina Nesbitt PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 115 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 125 reviews
on March 5, 2014
Just okay i guess. I bought a lot of different products when i was first learning studio lighting and this was my second. my first was a set of umbrella continous lights. anyways, I ended up trading this in for the 180w because even though my studio is a good size this 300w puts out ALOT of power! I use an umbrella on it but considering getting another 24x36 softbox with soft diffuser and setting it up like that to see the results. anyways, IMO the best thing to do is what ive now been using for the past year, "Fotodiox Flash 2436 Yongnuo" (off camera flash) with the softbox i just mentioned. they work perfectly together and i use it as a slave, so i bought triggers as well, this here, this strobe just sits in my studio pretty much. so take my advice as one thats tried every kind of light and go ahead with the big softboxes and a simple slave that you can control!
on September 28, 2011
I have to say this light was more than I was expecting for the money. I have shot many years as a professional doing both commercial and portrait photography and was suprised at the performance of this light for the money. While I do not shoot for a living anymore I wanted lights that were portable and could be used for portraiture. At 300 watt seconds it is more than enough power for portraiture even with softboxes. What surprised me the most about this light when I first saw it was its small size - about the size of a one pund coffee can but a little longer. It is smaller than it looks in the pictures due to the fact that the buttons are small, but very usable. How much light does it put out, well with ISO 200 I had a good exposure at f11 @ 16ft using it direct with its built in reflector, this calculates to a guide number of 88 for ISO 100 in feet. The light was even and covered the field of view for a 28mm equivalent lens. It has continuous modeling and flash output from 1/4 to full power, yes 1/4 power not 1/8th, the specs published are wrong - it only has a 2stop range which is a little disappointing, if it really had 1/8th power it would be a 3 stop range. I checked this several times and it always came out to an exact two stop range from min to max on the power dial. The modeling lamp can either be on or off but when they are on they ratio with the flash, so at 1/4 power you can not turn the lamp on full. The Slave works very well and is very sensitive. It has settings for on, off, and trigger on second flash for triggering from cameras that have a pre-flash for red eye reduction. When going from high to low power you have to manualy trigger the flash once to dump the capacitors charge so it can cycle to the lower power setting. The beep is always on as is the modeling lamps turning off while cycling. While many people have complained about the beep not being switchable, I find the modeling lamps turning off to indicate charging to be a more annoying feature that is non switchable. The modeling lamp is replacable, and the reflector is permanently fixed in place. I did not try to remove the flash tube to see if it is replacable, but at this price you probably are better off replacing the whole unit should it ever die. The flash tube does not appear to be UV coated but if you need it, you could always buy Roscolux UV gels and place them a short distance out past the 3.75inch outside diameter reflector. A nice feature is the very long remvable power cord. The adjustable mount is plastic mounted to a metal housing. All in all this is a nice compact flash with good buid quality and basic features
22 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2015
The package came in well boxed and fast delivery. After opening the package I noticed that the model light bulb was missing. 1 Star deducted. I ordered a replacement and was to ship back the original, the replacement had the same bulb broken. 2 stars deducted. I had to ship back the replacement. Now all this took so long so I am stuck with a defective item. 3 stars deducted. Nit sure what to do now.
on August 23, 2016
These are fine for the beginner looking to try out studio lighting but you get what you pay for. They do work fine but in the long run I had the front fall off. I've tried chalking it back on but the caulk melted. I tried duck taping it back on but the tape got hot and came undone. Another issue is the way things attach to this light. I have an Alien B400 that is far superior and has a metal clamping system to old softboxes. These just rely on the soft box being pushed on to the front.
on October 29, 2016
Does a decent job for the price. This definitely takes the time stated to recharge. For low end lights this seems to be decent at this wattage.

The dial seems to accurately work where on the lower end one the light strength dial seems useless. The lower end version of this light recharges much faster than this one does. If you are seeking to do more photography more rapidly, then consider even the cheap one as a disposable light. I would have expected the continuous light to stay light after a flash but doesn't leaving the studio dark if you are doing single light photography in a dark setting.
on August 10, 2016
This light totally worked wonderfully, until it smoked and caught fire during a cake smash shoot. Totally embarrassed and glad nothing bad happened and caught it in time to throw outside of the studio.

If you are looking for something cheap to get you by, this is a good light. Just be careful because you can not shoot it multiple times under a minute other wise you may burn down your studio.
on March 13, 2017
Didn't even last 6 months of light use as a backdrop light at quarter power. The strobe caught fire in the middle of a shoot and starting smoking internally. Very unfortunate. I plan on calling Amazon about it today.
on July 23, 2017
Fantastic buy for the money. I bought a remote trigger to plug it so I could roam and shoot. I got a Neewer 20x28 Softbox to fit it perfectly. The only problem is after about 1 year using this thing, I was blasting off at a wedding in Texas and I guess I was shooting too quickly? The thing started to smoke and almost caught on fire! Gonna see if Neewer will send me a new one...
on August 13, 2015
Used a light meter, this doesn't put out nearly as much as it claims too. False advertisement.
on December 3, 2016
Tried to attach a 60inch parabolic umbrella and it could not support at all....... complete waste of money.... broke as soon as I tried to attach