Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services biglittlelies biglittlelies biglittlelies  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 2,418 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,540 reviews
on December 20, 2011
***NOTE*** THIS IS A MANUAL FLASH...YOU CANNOT USE YOUR CANON CAMERA FLASH MENU TO CONTROL THE FLASH.

I must say, I didn't have high expectations for this flash. I checked some of the reviews and they were mixed, but reviews are a small part of the reason I make a purchase. The flash is pretty well built for the price range, and seems like it will last for a long time. The optical slave NEVER misses, and it's extremely sensitive even when it's turned in the opposite direction of the master flash. Even though I'm a professional Photographer...to me...Light is light no matter where it comes from. If your flash cost you $500...can I use this flash an create the same image?...You bet I can...How you use your equipment is more important than what equipment you have. Don't get me wrong though...more expensive pieces of equipment usually have more options and allow you certain freedoms, but ehhh...learn with the cheap stuff, and once you see your limits with this equipment...move on from there.

******************************************

Update!!!!: 9/11/2013

First of all (today is 9/11) my condolences to those who have lost loved ones as I did in the attacks)

It has been ALMOST 2 years since I've purchased 3 of these flashes, and they are still working PERFECTLY!!!
I'm not a fan of spending money on things that will breakdown in the future, and these flashes have been banged around and thrown all over the place yet they still continue to produce excellent light for my photography needs.

I usually use them for background, hair lights, and sometimes as a filler when it's needed and they have been great. The construction is solid, ease of use is key, optical slave is super sensitive and reliable. When you have good batteries in them...the recycle time is quick. I recommend VERY good rechargeable batteries (eneloop and powerex have never failed me).

******************************************
Update: 12/9/2013

I ordered another one today to use as another slave...the other 3 that I have are still working perfectly fine and I have never had a problem with them at all. for such a cheap product...it's pretty shocking that they last this long and contunue to fire on command in slave mode without a miss!!!! I might be getting 2 more of these for a total of 6...some of my light setups are very elaborate, and I've learned the distance to power ratio in my studio of these flashes and never need to meter tham...they add light just where I need it when I have a snoot on each one. PERFECT!!!
review image review image review image
9898 comments| 1,374 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2013
positives:
(1). comes with a built in bounce card and wide angle diffuser (you dont even need this with anything narrower than 18mm)
(2). 8 steps of manual control in 1/8th stop increments (1/128, 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 1/1)
(3). has an auto overheat shutoff
(4). has a PC sync cord so it can be used with PC capable light meters and cameras.
(5). the controls are super simple, bright, and easy to see even at a glance
(6). rotates 270 degrees and tilts from 0 to 90 degrees
(7). it feels nice in the hand. heavy but not bulky or overweighted. doesn't feel cheap, the hot shoe locking screw is secure but not too tight. there's no rattling or any sort of movement that's unwanted. stays securely on your hot shoe.
(8). HAS A SLAVE MODE. the slave is super sensitive and fires every time if you give it time to recharge (.1s for 1/164 and 5s for 1/1) and it even has a "slave 2 mode" that will fire only once your master and 1st slave have fired.
(9). CHEAP AS HELL
now for the negatives
(1). tilting the head from the horizontal to vertical position works like it should and clicks into the designated 45, 60, and 75 degree positions without a problem but when tilting it back from vertical to horizontally seems to get caught on something and takes more force and makes a different sound than the clicking that it should when changing the angle.
(2). the battery chamber has a problem. some brands of AA batteries work fine but others dont meet the contacts like they should. i tested the batteries and made sure they weren't just dead but there's just a problem with the way that batteries fit in the compartment. here's what i've found:
Energizer regular and rechargeable = works fine
Duracell = works fine
panasonic regular and rechargeable = will not work
i tried everything with the panasonic batteries. i switched the order of them, wiped off the leads and even scuffed them up a little with some sandpaper, i tried everything. panasonic batteries and this flash just dont like each other. sorry.
**if you've tested any other brands of normal or rechargeable batteries and can tell if they do or dont work please comment below to let others know.**
1717 comments| 448 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2013
I have been a professional wedding photographer for 7 years. I have owned the nikon sb600, sb700 and sb900. After the sb600 flash tube broke and repair was almost $200 I got the sb900. Hate every minute with the sb900 (esp for the price). I use on and off camera flash and after my sb900 died at a wedding I looked into a non nikon option. I found this flash. After reading reviews and seeing the price I ordered 2. I have shot around 6 weddings so far using this flash both on and off camera. I am zoo happy with this flash I will never buy another nikon.

Recycle time is quick (if not on the most powerful setting). Battery life is pretty good. Produces overall very even nice powerful light. I can say I honestly see no difference between the power of this flash versus the sb600 and sb700. Sb900 was more powerful but the flash is a pain in the butt to overall and I never need that much power.

For the price and quality I am very happy and plan on buying 2 more for my off camera flash systems. If you can and know how to shoot in manual and how to control your flash, this flash is for you. If you need the camera and flash to think for you, maybe this is not the best option. Light is light and although it is not a fancy name it does the job. I am interested to see how long these will last me :)
review image review image review image
on December 29, 2016
I bought one of these to replace a cheapie Neewer TTL flash and am satisfied with it thus far.

The good:

Cheap - as others have noted, this product costs a piddling fraction of brand name speedlights.

Powerful - Sweet jesus, this flash has serious "pop" - at full power, you could use it to blind a mugger or thumb a ride from a space station. Based on my experience and the complaints of my subjects when I have it on too high a setting, it's one of, if not, the most powerful cheapo flash I've owned.

The meh:

Construction - like other Neewer flashes, the head is held to the base by four dinky screws. If one works loose, they all work loose and, if they're not promptly retightened, the unit gets kind of loose and floppy (this happened to my other Neewer flash). But otherwise, it's pretty tough and well constructed.

Power control - given the flash's aforementioned "pop," more granular power control would be welcome. For this reason, I usually bounce the flash or use a "black foamie thing" to tame the flash's power.
on September 29, 2016
Recycle time is WAY to slow! As a professional wedding photographer I have finally realized I need to ditch this lens during receptions. For low powered flash use it works great, (hotel room, getting ready images, well lite ceremony's) but once the lights dim down during a reception this thing is junk! The recharge time feels like an eternity during vital moments or when people start asking you for pictures. Heaven forbid if someone blinks and you have to stall for 20-30 seconds before snapping another picture.... Its a nightmare!

Update: For anyone else having this problem... I went and purchased Ni-MH rechargeable batteries. They are very strong batteries (and very expensive) and they reduced my recycle time form 20-25 seconds on full power to 3 seconds. It's a good fix for now! :)
on March 15, 2016
This speedlite is actually really awesome once you figure it out. I had a little trouble at first getting it to fire in manual with my camera but once I did, it has been great! I took some really great headshots with it at a skating rink the other week and plan to invest in a soft box soon to really try it out. Great starter speed lite and great option to have as a spare!!!
review image
on January 13, 2014
Bought this flash for my Nikon 5100, a camera that is admittedly beyond my skill level, but one whose pictures impressed my friends and family until they all bought their own. In other words, I am not a professional photographer nor even an avid amateur. What I shoot is thousands, tens of thousands, of pictures of my kids. I hate the on board flash and what it does. My skin is pale, and my kids' skin is paler, especially in the dark of winter. On sunless December nights (and days) when flashes give me and my children red eyes, we look like a vampire coven. My hope was that by bouncing a flash off of the ceiling, I could eliminate the red eyes and create the illusion of skin tone for those times we have not fed in a while. The short version is that achieving the correct lighting appears to involve both skill and equipment. This flash is a huge improvement over the on board flash, but it has not turned me into Ansel Adams. Certainly, it will take me years of tweaking to perfect my technique. Equally certain is that I will be able to learn with this better than expected flash. I find it plenty powerful and it keeps up with bursts of photos in quick succession. Not only am I glad I did not pay hundreds more, but I think I would have been let down had I bought a premium Nikon flash with neither the skill nor patience to justify the cost.
on September 2, 2016
Did I purchase a used flash? This looks used.
review image review image
on November 21, 2016
I have had this flash for about 16 months. I purchased this flash to be an off camera flash triggered with a remote. It is not my main flash but was to be for a simple fill light and thus minimal control was needed. For what I needed, it worked great for the price paid...but then it stopped working.

I used it in total about 3 shoots (with about 100 fires/shoot - so the flash had only been popped about 300 times) and it was never at full power since it was just intended as a secondary fill light. At the 4th shot, I went to go use it, and it wouldn't fire every shot...even at the lowest power setting it would take about 2 mins to be able to fire. I figured it was my rechargable batteries and didn't think much of it. I went to go use it again, with freshly charged batteries, and it won't fire at all. I tried hitting the test button - nothing. Tried mountind directly on camera (which was risky in its own right) - nothing. Went and bough BRAND NEW durracell batteries, did all the same tests - nothing.

So now in just a little over a year, the flash is dead with bare minimum usage.
on January 9, 2017
I own 2 of the TT560 speedlites. I purchased these when I started doing interior real estate photography. These are a lot of bang for the buck. They produce a quality flash. As in any other speedlight, I feel they produce a harsh flash, so modifiers are recommended.

These are manual, but work great in slave mode. I shoot off camera and use the neewer radio trigger on my canon T3i. It works like a charm. Be aware that if you are unfamiliar with manual lights, there is a maximum sync speed on your camera. Stay below that and these work like a charm. Even if I use a TTL Canon lite on my hotshoe - you could have 4-6 of these as slaves and light your space for a lot less than the name brands. The only reason I don't give 5 stars is that sometimes I wish the recycle time was a bit faster.