Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 2,448 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,569 reviews
on December 20, 2011
***NOTE*** THIS IS A MANUAL FLASH...YOU CANNOT USE YOUR CANON CAMERA FLASH MENU TO CONTROL THE FLASH.

I must say, I didn't have high expectations for this flash. I checked some of the reviews and they were mixed, but reviews are a small part of the reason I make a purchase. The flash is pretty well built for the price range, and seems like it will last for a long time. The optical slave NEVER misses, and it's extremely sensitive even when it's turned in the opposite direction of the master flash. Even though I'm a professional Photographer...to me...Light is light no matter where it comes from. If your flash cost you $500...can I use this flash an create the same image?...You bet I can...How you use your equipment is more important than what equipment you have. Don't get me wrong though...more expensive pieces of equipment usually have more options and allow you certain freedoms, but ehhh...learn with the cheap stuff, and once you see your limits with this equipment...move on from there.

******************************************

Update!!!!: 9/11/2013

First of all (today is 9/11) my condolences to those who have lost loved ones as I did in the attacks)

It has been ALMOST 2 years since I've purchased 3 of these flashes, and they are still working PERFECTLY!!!
I'm not a fan of spending money on things that will breakdown in the future, and these flashes have been banged around and thrown all over the place yet they still continue to produce excellent light for my photography needs.

I usually use them for background, hair lights, and sometimes as a filler when it's needed and they have been great. The construction is solid, ease of use is key, optical slave is super sensitive and reliable. When you have good batteries in them...the recycle time is quick. I recommend VERY good rechargeable batteries (eneloop and powerex have never failed me).

******************************************
Update: 12/9/2013

I ordered another one today to use as another slave...the other 3 that I have are still working perfectly fine and I have never had a problem with them at all. for such a cheap product...it's pretty shocking that they last this long and contunue to fire on command in slave mode without a miss!!!! I might be getting 2 more of these for a total of 6...some of my light setups are very elaborate, and I've learned the distance to power ratio in my studio of these flashes and never need to meter tham...they add light just where I need it when I have a snoot on each one. PERFECT!!!
review image review image review image
9898 comments| 1,392 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2013
I have been a professional wedding photographer for 7 years. I have owned the nikon sb600, sb700 and sb900. After the sb600 flash tube broke and repair was almost $200 I got the sb900. Hate every minute with the sb900 (esp for the price). I use on and off camera flash and after my sb900 died at a wedding I looked into a non nikon option. I found this flash. After reading reviews and seeing the price I ordered 2. I have shot around 6 weddings so far using this flash both on and off camera. I am zoo happy with this flash I will never buy another nikon.

Recycle time is quick (if not on the most powerful setting). Battery life is pretty good. Produces overall very even nice powerful light. I can say I honestly see no difference between the power of this flash versus the sb600 and sb700. Sb900 was more powerful but the flash is a pain in the butt to overall and I never need that much power.

For the price and quality I am very happy and plan on buying 2 more for my off camera flash systems. If you can and know how to shoot in manual and how to control your flash, this flash is for you. If you need the camera and flash to think for you, maybe this is not the best option. Light is light and although it is not a fancy name it does the job. I am interested to see how long these will last me :)
review image review image review image
on May 7, 2013
positives:
(1). comes with a built in bounce card and wide angle diffuser (you dont even need this with anything narrower than 18mm)
(2). 8 steps of manual control in 1/8th stop increments (1/128, 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 1/1)
(3). has an auto overheat shutoff
(4). has a PC sync cord so it can be used with PC capable light meters and cameras.
(5). the controls are super simple, bright, and easy to see even at a glance
(6). rotates 270 degrees and tilts from 0 to 90 degrees
(7). it feels nice in the hand. heavy but not bulky or overweighted. doesn't feel cheap, the hot shoe locking screw is secure but not too tight. there's no rattling or any sort of movement that's unwanted. stays securely on your hot shoe.
(8). HAS A SLAVE MODE. the slave is super sensitive and fires every time if you give it time to recharge (.1s for 1/164 and 5s for 1/1) and it even has a "slave 2 mode" that will fire only once your master and 1st slave have fired.
(9). CHEAP AS HELL
now for the negatives
(1). tilting the head from the horizontal to vertical position works like it should and clicks into the designated 45, 60, and 75 degree positions without a problem but when tilting it back from vertical to horizontally seems to get caught on something and takes more force and makes a different sound than the clicking that it should when changing the angle.
(2). the battery chamber has a problem. some brands of AA batteries work fine but others dont meet the contacts like they should. i tested the batteries and made sure they weren't just dead but there's just a problem with the way that batteries fit in the compartment. here's what i've found:
Energizer regular and rechargeable = works fine
Duracell = works fine
panasonic regular and rechargeable = will not work
i tried everything with the panasonic batteries. i switched the order of them, wiped off the leads and even scuffed them up a little with some sandpaper, i tried everything. panasonic batteries and this flash just dont like each other. sorry.
**if you've tested any other brands of normal or rechargeable batteries and can tell if they do or dont work please comment below to let others know.**
1818 comments| 456 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2014
I've only had this flash for a couple of days now, but I have found it fantastic. For the price, I was thinking it would just be a small, junky, cheaply made flash that would conk out after a couple of uses. However, upon installing batteries and using it, it appears to be really good (as I said, I've only had it for a couple days, so it hasn't really had time to die yet. Doubt it will though). When it has batteries, it has a solid weight to it.

I apparently did not read the description correctly or I'm just an idiot, but I did not realize that this flash came with built-in slaves. I've used more expensive flashes in the past that needed an external slave. This really adds to the quality.

I like that the flash head rotates 90degrees (completely straight to bent at a right angle). It also pivots about 270 degrees on its base. This is super useful in lots of applications. Do not make my mistake of forgetting to return the head to point straight up if you rotate it around. My retinas needed a few hours to stop seeing red.

Pros:
quality made
built-in slave
wide and white diffusers
large angle

cons:
none that I can find yet
on April 18, 2014
This is a good manual flash. I picked up five of these. They all work well with my Canon 6D, works with Phottix Strato II radio triggers, great for added flash. If you put these in Mode S1 they can be triggered by another flash going off. Kind of comes in handy that way. I had 4 of these hooked to radio triggers and one just on a stand with no radio receiver, put it in s1 mode and it still triggered. So you can still have this pretty far from your camera as long as it is close to another remote flash, if it see's the flash it goes off. It also has a PC input, so you could have have one on a hot shoe radio receiver and if your radio receiver has a PC Flash out run a wire over to it and fire two off one radio receiver if you didn't want to rely on the S1 flash trigger. So there are a few options for getting it to fire off camera.

It has a handy test flash button. This flash is the same size and basic shape as my Canon 580 EX II but does not have the Canon extra features; like no ETTL; no hi-speed sync, no first curtain and second curtain. It's just a basic manual single pin flash that works on camera or of, can be triggered from other flashes like Canon 580 EX II on your camera, just set the flash to S1, 3 modes; Manual S1 and S2.

MANUAL MODE is just a basic hot shoe mount triggered flash, or PC line triggered flash.
S1 MODE the flash will trigger when it sees another flash go off.
S2 MODE the flash will trigger on the second flash it see's, this is in case you want it to ignore your cameras pre-flash.

Manual Flash is great and some photographers prefer working with manual flash because they don't like how ETTL could put out more flash power than they want, they prefer to fine tune their light for their photos. If you work with these for a while you'll quickly get the hang of setting your power levels for even shadowless shots.

I give this flash a big thumbs up. Good value and a good build quality. I know other pro photographers using them.

They come with a plastic stand similar to the one that comes with the Canon 580 EX II, plus their stand has a standard Metz screw hole that will allow you to easily attach it to a stand if needed. It takes 4 AA batteries just like the Canon 580 EX II. Very easy push buttons that feel like they have a solid build and easy to read LED indicators for power level setting and mode and when flash has cycled and is recharged ready to go again.

Great for photographers just getting started into photography on a budget or pros. You can't beat the price. Granted they are not Canon 600EX-RTs, but you can buy 5 of these for under $200, the trade off is they are only manual flashes.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2014
I gave this product four stars because it has just as many functions as I want to fool with, while still not being a professional grade flash. I can use my AA batteries with it - and have them recharged and have no down time because I have to charge some special battery. There are additional little built in features that I haven't figured out just yet. It doesn't seem to take very long for it to warm up and charge at all, and the amount of light that this thing can put out is absolutely amazing! I haven't had to go past the 3rd flash intensity. Also, the recharge time between flashes is super fast.

I would recommend this flash for anyone that is looking for one that isn't name brand, and doesn't care about all the extra additional buttons and features that most people, even professionals, don't even fool with.
on April 6, 2015
I was attracted to this flash because of the price and the reviews of it. I've had it since the end of 2014 and used it sparingly. I've never had a reason to use it above 1/4 power and the first time I did, the flash made a popping sound and will no longer fire. I like the flash because it has a good price and if you're only using it for situations where you need a little more light, and not a moderate amount of light, it works fine. But I wouldn't buy it again and I wouldn't recommend it because you're basically out $30. Right now I'm letting it rest but after an hour it still wouldn't fire on its lowest setting when I pressed the "test" button. I need something more reliable for work.
on January 26, 2015
I purchased this flash for multiple purposes, the main purpose being my flash prior to this was a 1990 vivitar and is, well, a 1990 vivitar. The first use I made of the Neewer was at a very dark hardcore punk show, the flash performed excellently and although it is a manual flash, it was easy to use. The 360 degree swivel head is very useful and helped me light my subjects just the way I needed them to be. For indoor shooting, be it portraits or photos of your cats, it does the job. There isn't much to say really. Over all, I love this flash and would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap flash that performs very well.
review image
on September 2, 2016
Did I purchase a used flash? This looks used.
review image review image
on March 23, 2017
Lightweight, solid construction, and dead simple to use. Recycle time is great from 1/2 power to lower. Full power pops take a few seconds. Honestly, my Nikon SB-25 fails to pop far more often than this. Simple controls and very legible LED indicators make this super easy to use. It lacks any extra features (TTL, stroboscopic, element zoom, etc.) but does includes a bounce card and wide-angle diffuser. I keep it on me all the time, and use it in optical slave mode constantly. Great 2nd flash, or main flash if your needs are simple. Perfect for me. Maybe not for pro wedding photographers, but pros can afford the better gear anyways.