Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,538 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,662 reviews
on December 20, 2011
***NOTE*** THIS IS A MANUAL FLASH...YOU CANNOT USE YOUR CANON CAMERA FLASH MENU TO CONTROL THE FLASH.

I must say, I didn't have high expectations for this flash. I checked some of the reviews and they were mixed, but reviews are a small part of the reason I make a purchase. The flash is pretty well built for the price range, and seems like it will last for a long time. The optical slave NEVER misses, and it's extremely sensitive even when it's turned in the opposite direction of the master flash. Even though I'm a professional Photographer...to me...Light is light no matter where it comes from. If your flash cost you $500...can I use this flash an create the same image?...You bet I can...How you use your equipment is more important than what equipment you have. Don't get me wrong though...more expensive pieces of equipment usually have more options and allow you certain freedoms, but ehhh...learn with the cheap stuff, and once you see your limits with this equipment...move on from there.

******************************************

Update!!!!: 9/11/2013

First of all (today is 9/11) my condolences to those who have lost loved ones as I did in the attacks)

It has been ALMOST 2 years since I've purchased 3 of these flashes, and they are still working PERFECTLY!!!
I'm not a fan of spending money on things that will breakdown in the future, and these flashes have been banged around and thrown all over the place yet they still continue to produce excellent light for my photography needs.

I usually use them for background, hair lights, and sometimes as a filler when it's needed and they have been great. The construction is solid, ease of use is key, optical slave is super sensitive and reliable. When you have good batteries in them...the recycle time is quick. I recommend VERY good rechargeable batteries (eneloop and powerex have never failed me).

******************************************
Update: 12/9/2013

I ordered another one today to use as another slave...the other 3 that I have are still working perfectly fine and I have never had a problem with them at all. for such a cheap product...it's pretty shocking that they last this long and contunue to fire on command in slave mode without a miss!!!! I might be getting 2 more of these for a total of 6...some of my light setups are very elaborate, and I've learned the distance to power ratio in my studio of these flashes and never need to meter tham...they add light just where I need it when I have a snoot on each one. PERFECT!!!
review image review image review image
5150+ comments| 1,432 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2013
positives:
(1). comes with a built in bounce card and wide angle diffuser (you dont even need this with anything narrower than 18mm)
(2). 8 steps of manual control in 1/8th stop increments (1/128, 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 1/1)
(3). has an auto overheat shutoff
(4). has a PC sync cord so it can be used with PC capable light meters and cameras.
(5). the controls are super simple, bright, and easy to see even at a glance
(6). rotates 270 degrees and tilts from 0 to 90 degrees
(7). it feels nice in the hand. heavy but not bulky or overweighted. doesn't feel cheap, the hot shoe locking screw is secure but not too tight. there's no rattling or any sort of movement that's unwanted. stays securely on your hot shoe.
(8). HAS A SLAVE MODE. the slave is super sensitive and fires every time if you give it time to recharge (.1s for 1/164 and 5s for 1/1) and it even has a "slave 2 mode" that will fire only once your master and 1st slave have fired.
(9). CHEAP AS HELL
now for the negatives
(1). tilting the head from the horizontal to vertical position works like it should and clicks into the designated 45, 60, and 75 degree positions without a problem but when tilting it back from vertical to horizontally seems to get caught on something and takes more force and makes a different sound than the clicking that it should when changing the angle.
(2). the battery chamber has a problem. some brands of AA batteries work fine but others dont meet the contacts like they should. i tested the batteries and made sure they weren't just dead but there's just a problem with the way that batteries fit in the compartment. here's what i've found:
Energizer regular and rechargeable = works fine
Duracell = works fine
panasonic regular and rechargeable = will not work
i tried everything with the panasonic batteries. i switched the order of them, wiped off the leads and even scuffed them up a little with some sandpaper, i tried everything. panasonic batteries and this flash just dont like each other. sorry.
**if you've tested any other brands of normal or rechargeable batteries and can tell if they do or dont work please comment below to let others know.**
1818 comments| 481 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2015
I purchased this approximately 75 days ago and I've used it 3-4 times since then. My experience has mostly been to use this as a slave flash as a back light, so this is how I will be reviewing this product. I use this flash to shoot head shots, mostly.

First of all, I'll start this review by saying it is important for you to read the product description to know exactly what you're buying. If you want a flash with an 'auto' mode or TTL technology, this is not for you. What this flash is, is a basic manual flash which has 8 steps of power, diffuser and bounce card, test/pilot button, rotating head that locks in large intervals (horizontally and vertically), and manual/S1/S2 modes. It also mounts to shoe-mounts, which is tightened by hand.

I've rarely used the flash using the shoe-mount on my camera and in manual mode. When I do, the flash syncs with the shutter just fine. My main usage is in S1 mode, and I normally use an off-camera flash to trigger the Neewer flash, which works well. I've shot this flash in slave mode in normal ambient light, and it picked up the flash of the key light well. It syncs well with the key light and I see no banding at 1/160 or slower shutter speeds.

In very, very few cases (under 5%), the light didn't flash when the key light flashed. I figured out it happened when rapidly clicking the shutter and the flash did not have time to cycle to another charge. Another time, it happened when the Neewer flash was not in a clear line of sight of the key light (flash). So, bear in mind that when using this flash in slave mode, you'll want to have a clear line of sight. When you do, it works flawlessly.

I've used it during shoots that have lasted about 1.5 hours, taken approximately 120 photos, and the flash goes strong with fairly short cycling times. Like all flashes, cycle time to re-charge increases after each burst, so no surprise there. This flash takes 4 AAA batteries, and its charge and cycle time is comparable to modern flashes.

When I attach the flash to a shoe mount, it feels very secure. To me, this is important, because I've had flashes that felt very loose when attaching to an external shoe mount, like on a tripod. This guy feel snug when he's on a tripod adapter or something similar.

The light itself is smooth.. not much else to really say about that.

For a $25 flash, why wouldn't you include this flash in your bag? In my experience, it works great as a slave flash and does the job well. There aren't any real cons that I can think of. I give 5 stars and have recommended this to several photographer friends.
on September 21, 2015
For such an inexpensive price, I felt like I got a very high quality piece of equipment. It took me a few weeks playing around with it to figure out how much to angle it in different lighting etc, but I'm not a professional photographer.. just a mom with a camera trying to capture memories of my kids. I usually keep it almost angled all the way up, or else everything appears overly flashed, but at almost all the way up, I get just the right amount of exposure. I did really struggle getting it to take in focus photos with my Canon 30D, I stopped using it eventually because I couldn't figure it out. I'm sure it's just user error.
on June 14, 2017
This is a great flash for my Canon T3. It worked flawlessly over the last month since I purchased it. It feels very robust and sturdy. I really like the flip-out diffuser and white reflector screen. For best results, I have been angling the flash almost straight up at the ceiling and turning the flash intensity all the way down.
on November 20, 2014
Does not connect with camera. Flashed, but the camera does not register the flash and therefore does not change to the necessary settings. If anyone knows a way to have the flash function, please post. I am using a canon 6D
on March 23, 2017
Lightweight, solid construction, and dead simple to use. Recycle time is great from 1/2 power to lower. Full power pops take a few seconds. Honestly, my Nikon SB-25 fails to pop far more often than this. Simple controls and very legible LED indicators make this super easy to use. It lacks any extra features (TTL, stroboscopic, element zoom, etc.) but does includes a bounce card and wide-angle diffuser. I keep it on me all the time, and use it in optical slave mode constantly. Great 2nd flash, or main flash if your needs are simple. Perfect for me. Maybe not for pro wedding photographers, but pros can afford the better gear anyways.
on January 26, 2015
I purchased this flash for multiple purposes, the main purpose being my flash prior to this was a 1990 vivitar and is, well, a 1990 vivitar. The first use I made of the Neewer was at a very dark hardcore punk show, the flash performed excellently and although it is a manual flash, it was easy to use. The 360 degree swivel head is very useful and helped me light my subjects just the way I needed them to be. For indoor shooting, be it portraits or photos of your cats, it does the job. There isn't much to say really. Over all, I love this flash and would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap flash that performs very well.
review image
on November 16, 2016
I am using it for real estate photograph response on flash is great. Adjusting light power was easy. I use a nikon with a wireless link to a samsung tablet to setup shots. Flash has just the right amount of flexiblity.
I wanted a second hot shoe flash that i can set up as a photo slave. I never use ttl flash anyway and if I use my Canon Speedlite, I always use it in manual mode...

This flash fits the bill for about 1/10th of the price. That is not to say it is as good as a Canon Speedlite, but for what I wanted it for, it will work ALMOST perfectly for me.

Power Recycle:
I find power recycle after a flash to be really quick, and it seems quicker than my speedlite, although that may be because it is not as powerful..

Ease of use:
The optical slave does not work outside as there is too much light(background noise) for the receiver to get a signal apparently, which is something I should have known, or suspected...

Inside however the optical stave works perfectly.

The controls couldn't be easier. There is a mode button that switches between manual, Slave mode 1, and Slave mode 2. I just used slave mode 1

What this is missing:
A swivel head would be nice, but for 30 dollars I don'think that would be reasonable to expect....

Two things this has over my much more expensive canon 430Ex: The mount that comes with this has a brass insert for the tripod mount. My canon is plastic... Also, the 430ex does not have an optical slave...

I would buy this again. I am satisfied.

I am going to attach two macro photos I just took with it.
review image review image