Amazon Business Books with Buzz STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery March Birthstone Shop Popular Services _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Paul McCartney Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 2,422 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,544 reviews
The Godox TT560 (released in America from NEEWER) is a Speedlite that has received positive reviews from budget photographers in Asia. Released in Jan. 2010, there is not much known about this flash and because it was around the same pricepoint as YN-560, people flocked to the Yongnuo flashes for their budget strobist needs.

Well, in August 2011, the TT560 went from $60 to the $40-range and many who noticed the price drop, flocked to Amazon to purchase this flash.

While the photos and video of this flash have shown pretty positive photos from our Asian counterparts, their reviews were positive because it gave quite a bang for the buck and it was easily accessible.

So, let's take a look at the TT560 Neewer (Godox) Speedlite.

I. UNBOXING AND SETUP

The TT560, similar to Yongnuo's YN-560 comes in a black pouch, stand and instructions.

Comparisons can be made in look of the TT560 as it has a reflection board and built-in wide panel, optical control sensor, lock ring and hot shoe stand. The hotshoe stand is plastic and takes 4 double AA batteries (which I used four Eneloops).

On the back, you will notice that it has an output level indicator, mode select (M=manual, S1, S2), Charging Indicator, Test button and Power Switch. It is important to note that this flash does not come with a Zoom for the flash.

The indicator are in blue LED's while the power is the red LED dot.

POWER SAVING FUNCTION: The flash does come with a power-saving function which will go into standby mode in about 30 minutes of idle use. Press any button to wake it up.

PROTECTION FUNCTION: To prevent from overheating, the following is important to know:

POWER LEVEL 1/1, 1/2 - 20 Flashes which will activated over-temperature protection
POWER LEVEL 1/4, 1/8 - 40 Flashes which will activated over-temperature protection
POWER LEVEL 1/16,1/32 - 80 Flashes which will activated over-temperature protection
POWER LEVEL 1/64, 1/128 - 160 Flashes which will activated over-temperature protection

SPECS:
According to the document, this is a Guide number 38 (ISO 100) Flash, Vertical Rotation (0-90 degrees), Horizontal Rotation (0-270 Degrees), Color Temperature 56000K+/- 200K

II. TEST

I am testing this on a Canon T3i:

On-Camera Flash - It's important to note that this is not an E-TTL flash. But you probably don't need it as you can control the flash power levels through the back of the flash. Everything worked as the flash was supposed to, so I can't complain. As an On-Camera Flash, because of it's price...with the Sunpak PFX30 being the next cheaper alternative (with E-TTL), the TT560 pretty much gives more bang for the buck at $40+.

I have not used this Flash for a long period of time to see how quality is over long use but I did contact people in Asia who are using it and they have said the flash is still working and they use it in their strobist setup today. So, that's good news!

Off-Camera Flash - My main purpose for this Flash was to use it in addition to my YN-560 flash. Zoom was not important for me as I have the YN-560's for that. But what was important for me was that it worked with the RF-603C trigger/receiver/tranceiver. After finding out that the Sunpak PFX30 did not work, I took the risk of purchasing this flash, not knowing if it worked or not but fortunately, this flash did work with the Yongnuo RF-603's.

I then started taking a few photos with the Flash in rapid succession and recycle time was fairly quick. According to the instructions (0-1.5 seconds via AA Alkaline).

So, using it along with the YN-560's, I was able to use this flash with no problems whatsoever.

JUDGMENT CALL:

The Neewer (or Godox) TT560 is a straightforward flash and most importantly, my primary needs was to control the output and that it worked on my RF-603C. Granted, it didn't come with zoom and that is why I bypassed it at $59, when I could get the YN-560's (or even another Yongnuo flash for the same price).

At $40, it was great price (prices tend to fluctuate as of late between $40-$50) and it serves as another flash for my setup. It's rival right now probably is the older YN-460II and which one would I would recommend, it's pretty much subjective as they are the same cost but because I didn't need a zoom, while the YN-460II had a metal shoe, the TT560 has a shoe lock. Also, more people have experienced problems with the 460 and obviously, there are hardly negatives on this TT560 at this time. For now, I give a thumbs up to this flash, for its price and functions.

For On or off-camera use, this flash is definitely worth buying and at least worth considering if you are looking into inexpensive multiple flash. At $40, I'm not going to complain...it's actually a solid deal!

Pros:
- Power Saving and Protection Functions
- Easy to use buttons
- Horizontal/Vertical Swivel
- Wide Angle Diffuser
- Flash stand with needed threaded hole
- Great for On and Off-Camera Use - Manual and Slave Mode 1, 2
- Fast recycling charge
- Shoe Lock
- Price (if in the $40's)
- Works with RF-603

Cons:
- Lack of Zoom
- Plastic Shoe
- Lack of PC cord socket

UPDATE FOR 2016:

Having had the original versions when I did my review back in 2011-2012, both TT560's are no longer working in 2016. One's flash just died during a photo shoot, heard one loud pop and that was it, stopped workiing. The other one, the plastic shoe broke.

But considering how much I put these flashes through, many photo shoots in the last 4-5 years, I'm quite thrilled with the results. While I now use Canon Speedlites, I still use the TT560 for traveling or when I need slave flashes. This is still a go to Flash, when I know I don't have time to test things, as I have found it so convenient.

So, I purchased two more (2016) and they are much better than the older versions I purchased years ago. They have a metal shoe (which I know many people started seeing in the 2012-2013 revision) and has a PC sync socket and charging socket.

And seriously, the fact the originals I had lasted nearly five years and cost under $40...for its pricepoint and how long they have lasted and the improvements made to the TT560 and for a simple, inexpensive flash, it's an awesome deal!
6262 comments| 465 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2011
***NOTE*** THIS IS A MANUAL FLASH...YOU CANNOT USE YOUR CANON CAMERA FLASH MENU TO CONTROL THE FLASH.

I must say, I didn't have high expectations for this flash. I checked some of the reviews and they were mixed, but reviews are a small part of the reason I make a purchase. The flash is pretty well built for the price range, and seems like it will last for a long time. The optical slave NEVER misses, and it's extremely sensitive even when it's turned in the opposite direction of the master flash. Even though I'm a professional Photographer...to me...Light is light no matter where it comes from. If your flash cost you $500...can I use this flash an create the same image?...You bet I can...How you use your equipment is more important than what equipment you have. Don't get me wrong though...more expensive pieces of equipment usually have more options and allow you certain freedoms, but ehhh...learn with the cheap stuff, and once you see your limits with this equipment...move on from there.

******************************************

Update!!!!: 9/11/2013

First of all (today is 9/11) my condolences to those who have lost loved ones as I did in the attacks)

It has been ALMOST 2 years since I've purchased 3 of these flashes, and they are still working PERFECTLY!!!
I'm not a fan of spending money on things that will breakdown in the future, and these flashes have been banged around and thrown all over the place yet they still continue to produce excellent light for my photography needs.

I usually use them for background, hair lights, and sometimes as a filler when it's needed and they have been great. The construction is solid, ease of use is key, optical slave is super sensitive and reliable. When you have good batteries in them...the recycle time is quick. I recommend VERY good rechargeable batteries (eneloop and powerex have never failed me).

******************************************
Update: 12/9/2013

I ordered another one today to use as another slave...the other 3 that I have are still working perfectly fine and I have never had a problem with them at all. for such a cheap product...it's pretty shocking that they last this long and contunue to fire on command in slave mode without a miss!!!! I might be getting 2 more of these for a total of 6...some of my light setups are very elaborate, and I've learned the distance to power ratio in my studio of these flashes and never need to meter tham...they add light just where I need it when I have a snoot on each one. PERFECT!!!
review image review image review image
9898 comments| 1,375 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2013
positives:
(1). comes with a built in bounce card and wide angle diffuser (you dont even need this with anything narrower than 18mm)
(2). 8 steps of manual control in 1/8th stop increments (1/128, 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 1/1)
(3). has an auto overheat shutoff
(4). has a PC sync cord so it can be used with PC capable light meters and cameras.
(5). the controls are super simple, bright, and easy to see even at a glance
(6). rotates 270 degrees and tilts from 0 to 90 degrees
(7). it feels nice in the hand. heavy but not bulky or overweighted. doesn't feel cheap, the hot shoe locking screw is secure but not too tight. there's no rattling or any sort of movement that's unwanted. stays securely on your hot shoe.
(8). HAS A SLAVE MODE. the slave is super sensitive and fires every time if you give it time to recharge (.1s for 1/164 and 5s for 1/1) and it even has a "slave 2 mode" that will fire only once your master and 1st slave have fired.
(9). CHEAP AS HELL
now for the negatives
(1). tilting the head from the horizontal to vertical position works like it should and clicks into the designated 45, 60, and 75 degree positions without a problem but when tilting it back from vertical to horizontally seems to get caught on something and takes more force and makes a different sound than the clicking that it should when changing the angle.
(2). the battery chamber has a problem. some brands of AA batteries work fine but others dont meet the contacts like they should. i tested the batteries and made sure they weren't just dead but there's just a problem with the way that batteries fit in the compartment. here's what i've found:
Energizer regular and rechargeable = works fine
Duracell = works fine
panasonic regular and rechargeable = will not work
i tried everything with the panasonic batteries. i switched the order of them, wiped off the leads and even scuffed them up a little with some sandpaper, i tried everything. panasonic batteries and this flash just dont like each other. sorry.
**if you've tested any other brands of normal or rechargeable batteries and can tell if they do or dont work please comment below to let others know.**
1717 comments| 448 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2013
I have been a professional wedding photographer for 7 years. I have owned the nikon sb600, sb700 and sb900. After the sb600 flash tube broke and repair was almost $200 I got the sb900. Hate every minute with the sb900 (esp for the price). I use on and off camera flash and after my sb900 died at a wedding I looked into a non nikon option. I found this flash. After reading reviews and seeing the price I ordered 2. I have shot around 6 weddings so far using this flash both on and off camera. I am zoo happy with this flash I will never buy another nikon.

Recycle time is quick (if not on the most powerful setting). Battery life is pretty good. Produces overall very even nice powerful light. I can say I honestly see no difference between the power of this flash versus the sb600 and sb700. Sb900 was more powerful but the flash is a pain in the butt to overall and I never need that much power.

For the price and quality I am very happy and plan on buying 2 more for my off camera flash systems. If you can and know how to shoot in manual and how to control your flash, this flash is for you. If you need the camera and flash to think for you, maybe this is not the best option. Light is light and although it is not a fancy name it does the job. I am interested to see how long these will last me :)
review image review image review image
on December 29, 2016
I bought one of these to replace a cheapie Neewer TTL flash and am satisfied with it thus far.

The good:

Cheap - as others have noted, this product costs a piddling fraction of brand name speedlights.

Powerful - Sweet jesus, this flash has serious "pop" - at full power, you could use it to blind a mugger or thumb a ride from a space station. Based on my experience and the complaints of my subjects when I have it on too high a setting, it's one of, if not, the most powerful cheapo flash I've owned.

The meh:

Construction - like other Neewer flashes, the head is held to the base by four dinky screws. If one works loose, they all work loose and, if they're not promptly retightened, the unit gets kind of loose and floppy (this happened to my other Neewer flash). But otherwise, it's pretty tough and well constructed.

Power control - given the flash's aforementioned "pop," more granular power control would be welcome. For this reason, I usually bounce the flash or use a "black foamie thing" to tame the flash's power.
on September 29, 2016
Recycle time is WAY to slow! As a professional wedding photographer I have finally realized I need to ditch this lens during receptions. For low powered flash use it works great, (hotel room, getting ready images, well lite ceremony's) but once the lights dim down during a reception this thing is junk! The recharge time feels like an eternity during vital moments or when people start asking you for pictures. Heaven forbid if someone blinks and you have to stall for 20-30 seconds before snapping another picture.... Its a nightmare!

Update: For anyone else having this problem... I went and purchased Ni-MH rechargeable batteries. They are very strong batteries (and very expensive) and they reduced my recycle time form 20-25 seconds on full power to 3 seconds. It's a good fix for now! :)
on January 13, 2014
Bought this flash for my Nikon 5100, a camera that is admittedly beyond my skill level, but one whose pictures impressed my friends and family until they all bought their own. In other words, I am not a professional photographer nor even an avid amateur. What I shoot is thousands, tens of thousands, of pictures of my kids. I hate the on board flash and what it does. My skin is pale, and my kids' skin is paler, especially in the dark of winter. On sunless December nights (and days) when flashes give me and my children red eyes, we look like a vampire coven. My hope was that by bouncing a flash off of the ceiling, I could eliminate the red eyes and create the illusion of skin tone for those times we have not fed in a while. The short version is that achieving the correct lighting appears to involve both skill and equipment. This flash is a huge improvement over the on board flash, but it has not turned me into Ansel Adams. Certainly, it will take me years of tweaking to perfect my technique. Equally certain is that I will be able to learn with this better than expected flash. I find it plenty powerful and it keeps up with bursts of photos in quick succession. Not only am I glad I did not pay hundreds more, but I think I would have been let down had I bought a premium Nikon flash with neither the skill nor patience to justify the cost.
on March 12, 2014
I've only had this flash for a couple of days now, but I have found it fantastic. For the price, I was thinking it would just be a small, junky, cheaply made flash that would conk out after a couple of uses. However, upon installing batteries and using it, it appears to be really good (as I said, I've only had it for a couple days, so it hasn't really had time to die yet. Doubt it will though). When it has batteries, it has a solid weight to it.

I apparently did not read the description correctly or I'm just an idiot, but I did not realize that this flash came with built-in slaves. I've used more expensive flashes in the past that needed an external slave. This really adds to the quality.

I like that the flash head rotates 90degrees (completely straight to bent at a right angle). It also pivots about 270 degrees on its base. This is super useful in lots of applications. Do not make my mistake of forgetting to return the head to point straight up if you rotate it around. My retinas needed a few hours to stop seeing red.

Pros:
quality made
built-in slave
wide and white diffusers
large angle

cons:
none that I can find yet
on March 15, 2016
This speedlite is actually really awesome once you figure it out. I had a little trouble at first getting it to fire in manual with my camera but once I did, it has been great! I took some really great headshots with it at a skating rink the other week and plan to invest in a soft box soon to really try it out. Great starter speed lite and great option to have as a spare!!!
review image
on April 18, 2014
This is a good manual flash. I picked up five of these. They all work well with my Canon 6D, works with Phottix Strato II radio triggers, great for added flash. If you put these in Mode S1 they can be triggered by another flash going off. Kind of comes in handy that way. I had 4 of these hooked to radio triggers and one just on a stand with no radio receiver, put it in s1 mode and it still triggered. So you can still have this pretty far from your camera as long as it is close to another remote flash, if it see's the flash it goes off. It also has a PC input, so you could have have one on a hot shoe radio receiver and if your radio receiver has a PC Flash out run a wire over to it and fire two off one radio receiver if you didn't want to rely on the S1 flash trigger. So there are a few options for getting it to fire off camera.

It has a handy test flash button. This flash is the same size and basic shape as my Canon 580 EX II but does not have the Canon extra features; like no ETTL; no hi-speed sync, no first curtain and second curtain. It's just a basic manual single pin flash that works on camera or of, can be triggered from other flashes like Canon 580 EX II on your camera, just set the flash to S1, 3 modes; Manual S1 and S2.

MANUAL MODE is just a basic hot shoe mount triggered flash, or PC line triggered flash.
S1 MODE the flash will trigger when it sees another flash go off.
S2 MODE the flash will trigger on the second flash it see's, this is in case you want it to ignore your cameras pre-flash.

Manual Flash is great and some photographers prefer working with manual flash because they don't like how ETTL could put out more flash power than they want, they prefer to fine tune their light for their photos. If you work with these for a while you'll quickly get the hang of setting your power levels for even shadowless shots.

I give this flash a big thumbs up. Good value and a good build quality. I know other pro photographers using them.

They come with a plastic stand similar to the one that comes with the Canon 580 EX II, plus their stand has a standard Metz screw hole that will allow you to easily attach it to a stand if needed. It takes 4 AA batteries just like the Canon 580 EX II. Very easy push buttons that feel like they have a solid build and easy to read LED indicators for power level setting and mode and when flash has cycled and is recharged ready to go again.

Great for photographers just getting started into photography on a budget or pros. You can't beat the price. Granted they are not Canon 600EX-RTs, but you can buy 5 of these for under $200, the trade off is they are only manual flashes.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse