Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 20, 2011
***NOTE*** THIS IS A MANUAL FLASH...YOU CANNOT USE YOUR CANON CAMERA FLASH MENU TO CONTROL THE FLASH.

I must say, I didn't have high expectations for this flash. I checked some of the reviews and they were mixed, but reviews are a small part of the reason I make a purchase. The flash is pretty well built for the price range, and seems like it will last for a long time. The optical slave NEVER misses, and it's extremely sensitive even when it's turned in the opposite direction of the master flash. Even though I'm a professional Photographer...to me...Light is light no matter where it comes from. If your flash cost you $500...can I use this flash an create the same image?...You bet I can...How you use your equipment is more important than what equipment you have. Don't get me wrong though...more expensive pieces of equipment usually have more options and allow you certain freedoms, but ehhh...learn with the cheap stuff, and once you see your limits with this equipment...move on from there.

******************************************

Update!!!!: 9/11/2013

First of all (today is 9/11) my condolences to those who have lost loved ones as I did in the attacks)

It has been ALMOST 2 years since I've purchased 3 of these flashes, and they are still working PERFECTLY!!!
I'm not a fan of spending money on things that will breakdown in the future, and these flashes have been banged around and thrown all over the place yet they still continue to produce excellent light for my photography needs.

I usually use them for background, hair lights, and sometimes as a filler when it's needed and they have been great. The construction is solid, ease of use is key, optical slave is super sensitive and reliable. When you have good batteries in them...the recycle time is quick. I recommend VERY good rechargeable batteries (eneloop and powerex have never failed me).

******************************************
Update: 12/9/2013

I ordered another one today to use as another slave...the other 3 that I have are still working perfectly fine and I have never had a problem with them at all. for such a cheap product...it's pretty shocking that they last this long and contunue to fire on command in slave mode without a miss!!!! I might be getting 2 more of these for a total of 6...some of my light setups are very elaborate, and I've learned the distance to power ratio in my studio of these flashes and never need to meter tham...they add light just where I need it when I have a snoot on each one. PERFECT!!!
review image review image review image
5150+ comments| 1,468 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 7, 2013
positives:
(1). comes with a built in bounce card and wide angle diffuser (you dont even need this with anything narrower than 18mm)
(2). 8 steps of manual control in 1/8th stop increments (1/128, 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 1/1)
(3). has an auto overheat shutoff
(4). has a PC sync cord so it can be used with PC capable light meters and cameras.
(5). the controls are super simple, bright, and easy to see even at a glance
(6). rotates 270 degrees and tilts from 0 to 90 degrees
(7). it feels nice in the hand. heavy but not bulky or overweighted. doesn't feel cheap, the hot shoe locking screw is secure but not too tight. there's no rattling or any sort of movement that's unwanted. stays securely on your hot shoe.
(8). HAS A SLAVE MODE. the slave is super sensitive and fires every time if you give it time to recharge (.1s for 1/164 and 5s for 1/1) and it even has a "slave 2 mode" that will fire only once your master and 1st slave have fired.
(9). CHEAP AS HELL
now for the negatives
(1). tilting the head from the horizontal to vertical position works like it should and clicks into the designated 45, 60, and 75 degree positions without a problem but when tilting it back from vertical to horizontally seems to get caught on something and takes more force and makes a different sound than the clicking that it should when changing the angle.
(2). the battery chamber has a problem. some brands of AA batteries work fine but others dont meet the contacts like they should. i tested the batteries and made sure they weren't just dead but there's just a problem with the way that batteries fit in the compartment. here's what i've found:
Energizer regular and rechargeable = works fine
Duracell = works fine
panasonic regular and rechargeable = will not work
i tried everything with the panasonic batteries. i switched the order of them, wiped off the leads and even scuffed them up a little with some sandpaper, i tried everything. panasonic batteries and this flash just dont like each other. sorry.
**if you've tested any other brands of normal or rechargeable batteries and can tell if they do or dont work please comment below to let others know.**
1818 comments| 508 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 8, 2017
I have been so spoiled by my Panasonic Lumix GX-8 that I am still in the process of learning how to use this tool. I usually have no problems shooting in low light - even night shots, because of the capabilities of the camera. This is not much different from my 35mm days, when I did the same thing. I seldom shoot people. Most of my work is florals and still life. Occasionally, I shoot architecture and landscape. However, in the two, maybe three. times I have used it, it gives me great results.

This is my first adjustable flash. I do not think this one is specifically tuned to the GX-8, so I have to use it manually. As I said, I am still learning it. I will have to make/remind myself to use it more often so I can comment more accurately on its performance, as well as know how it can enhance the quality of my work. It was less useful with my GX-85. It did not synchronize at all. This too may be due more to my unfamiliarity with the flash than equipment compatibility.

Once I have a better handle on how to use it, I will revisit this review.

October 21, 2017 - I am relatively new to digital slr photography. I am used to my film days on 35mm and 6x6, when all you needed for any flash on any camera was a guide number. Yes, there were some dedicated flash systems, but they were mostly unnecessary. Subsequent to my initial review, I bought a dedicated Opteka flash. It is a phenomenal flash. It has impressed me to the point that I leave it on the camera. What I did not realize when I first bought the Neewer was that I was purchasing what I would eventually need anyway, a slave unit for my dedicated flash. This is where the Neewer TT560 fits for me. I will start using it in this function, and likely increase the rating to 5 stars. I know that some readers will say, "dude, didn't you see the three words, 'for Canon Nikon'?" My answer is no. I am ALMOST certain that when I ordered it one of two things happened. Either it said it would work as a dedicated flash with the Lumix GX-8 OR I clicked the wrong item in my search. In either case, I still have a slave unit to use with the Opteka TTL unit that is tuned to the GX-8.
on August 6, 2016
For a manual flash and considering its price,this is a wonderful piece of flash.I compared it directly with the Yongnuo 560 IV and this flash beat it clearly,very consistent and even spread,unlike the Yongnuo.The power it pumps out is quite impressive too.
If there is an area it could take upgrade,then I will say they need to make it compatible to wireless control by supporting one of the various flash control flooded on the market that's the only thing that stopped me from using in my entire indoor set up .
For the money you can't go wrong with this flash.
on April 18, 2014
This is a good manual flash. I picked up five of these. They all work well with my Canon 6D, works with Phottix Strato II radio triggers, great for added flash. If you put these in Mode S1 they can be triggered by another flash going off. Kind of comes in handy that way. I had 4 of these hooked to radio triggers and one just on a stand with no radio receiver, put it in s1 mode and it still triggered. So you can still have this pretty far from your camera as long as it is close to another remote flash, if it see's the flash it goes off. It also has a PC input, so you could have have one on a hot shoe radio receiver and if your radio receiver has a PC Flash out run a wire over to it and fire two off one radio receiver if you didn't want to rely on the S1 flash trigger. So there are a few options for getting it to fire off camera.

It has a handy test flash button. This flash is the same size and basic shape as my Canon 580 EX II but does not have the Canon extra features; like no ETTL; no hi-speed sync, no first curtain and second curtain. It's just a basic manual single pin flash that works on camera or of, can be triggered from other flashes like Canon 580 EX II on your camera, just set the flash to S1, 3 modes; Manual S1 and S2.

MANUAL MODE is just a basic hot shoe mount triggered flash, or PC line triggered flash.
S1 MODE the flash will trigger when it sees another flash go off.
S2 MODE the flash will trigger on the second flash it see's, this is in case you want it to ignore your cameras pre-flash.

Manual Flash is great and some photographers prefer working with manual flash because they don't like how ETTL could put out more flash power than they want, they prefer to fine tune their light for their photos. If you work with these for a while you'll quickly get the hang of setting your power levels for even shadowless shots.

I give this flash a big thumbs up. Good value and a good build quality. I know other pro photographers using them.

They come with a plastic stand similar to the one that comes with the Canon 580 EX II, plus their stand has a standard Metz screw hole that will allow you to easily attach it to a stand if needed. It takes 4 AA batteries just like the Canon 580 EX II. Very easy push buttons that feel like they have a solid build and easy to read LED indicators for power level setting and mode and when flash has cycled and is recharged ready to go again.

Great for photographers just getting started into photography on a budget or pros. You can't beat the price. Granted they are not Canon 600EX-RTs, but you can buy 5 of these for under $200, the trade off is they are only manual flashes.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 7, 2017
This light is incredible for the price. The only thing to keep in mind is that with the GH5 it is kind of a tight fit into the hotshoe and it can't keep up with full on burst photo mode. There may be a setting on the light that makes it even faster but I haven't piddled with it much and I rarely shoot photos in burst mode anyway.
on August 11, 2016
I purchased this product to do both indoor and outdoor photo shoots with my Nikdon D5200. It has worked quite well for all of my needs. I purchased one for my grandmother as well, for her 80th Birthday, she loved it! When I told her I had purchased one for myself she said they are so very expensive. I explained to her that these are very affordable and are just as good as the high end expensive ones for our skill level.

The only cons I can find with this product is that the flash does not always trigger. One second it will and the second it will not, without even changing any settings or exposures. I have not been able to figure out why this is.

I highly suggest this product to others that are thinking about purchasing it! It is easy to use and worth what I spent on it.
on December 29, 2016
This is my first flash purchase so I can't really compare to anything but I'm really loving it so far. I bought it for my Olympus Pen E‑PL6 because the flash that came with the camera is basically useless for anything other than sunlight. The flash looks a bit large on my camera but it's cool because we're not in a camera fashion contest. It's definitely a bit top heavy but it's to be expected for a camera of this size. Really digging the rotating angles and ease of on/off. It was great for Christmas photos with the family and did a great job with the poor indoor lighting while also highlighting the tree behind the people. I'm really pleased with this flash and can't wait to try it with more settings.
on June 23, 2017
Very nice Flash perhaps it doesn't have TTL but if you are a beginner photographer this flash will allows you to learn how to adjust the instensity of the flash and the camera settings, Very nice for the price I covered a wedding and a social meeting with it and the results were better than expected. Using it as a slave isn't a problem just be careful that the sensor be correctly exposed to the light of the master. in general terms this is a great product for beginners and intermediate photographers, even advanced would find this as a useful and cheap solution to ilumination problems.
on November 17, 2017
A great value, especially if you're going to utilize one of the fantastic features-using multiple units as 'slaves' I purchased a set of two and ultimately another pair and they simply do what they're designed to do. Originally purchased to do some fill's on a large interior project, as supplementary lighting for the distant areas, the two slaves worked perfectly with the sync'd lighting systems I deployed. In addition, once I got the additional pair, it made the work so much better and the results were very pleasing to the client. Shipping was instant and got to me in advance of the project.
A winner at a great value