Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Big & Rich PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,553 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,679 reviews
on December 20, 2011
***NOTE*** THIS IS A MANUAL FLASH...YOU CANNOT USE YOUR CANON CAMERA FLASH MENU TO CONTROL THE FLASH.

I must say, I didn't have high expectations for this flash. I checked some of the reviews and they were mixed, but reviews are a small part of the reason I make a purchase. The flash is pretty well built for the price range, and seems like it will last for a long time. The optical slave NEVER misses, and it's extremely sensitive even when it's turned in the opposite direction of the master flash. Even though I'm a professional Photographer...to me...Light is light no matter where it comes from. If your flash cost you $500...can I use this flash an create the same image?...You bet I can...How you use your equipment is more important than what equipment you have. Don't get me wrong though...more expensive pieces of equipment usually have more options and allow you certain freedoms, but ehhh...learn with the cheap stuff, and once you see your limits with this equipment...move on from there.

******************************************

Update!!!!: 9/11/2013

First of all (today is 9/11) my condolences to those who have lost loved ones as I did in the attacks)

It has been ALMOST 2 years since I've purchased 3 of these flashes, and they are still working PERFECTLY!!!
I'm not a fan of spending money on things that will breakdown in the future, and these flashes have been banged around and thrown all over the place yet they still continue to produce excellent light for my photography needs.

I usually use them for background, hair lights, and sometimes as a filler when it's needed and they have been great. The construction is solid, ease of use is key, optical slave is super sensitive and reliable. When you have good batteries in them...the recycle time is quick. I recommend VERY good rechargeable batteries (eneloop and powerex have never failed me).

******************************************
Update: 12/9/2013

I ordered another one today to use as another slave...the other 3 that I have are still working perfectly fine and I have never had a problem with them at all. for such a cheap product...it's pretty shocking that they last this long and contunue to fire on command in slave mode without a miss!!!! I might be getting 2 more of these for a total of 6...some of my light setups are very elaborate, and I've learned the distance to power ratio in my studio of these flashes and never need to meter tham...they add light just where I need it when I have a snoot on each one. PERFECT!!!
review image review image review image
5150+ comments| 1,442 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2013
positives:
(1). comes with a built in bounce card and wide angle diffuser (you dont even need this with anything narrower than 18mm)
(2). 8 steps of manual control in 1/8th stop increments (1/128, 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 1/1)
(3). has an auto overheat shutoff
(4). has a PC sync cord so it can be used with PC capable light meters and cameras.
(5). the controls are super simple, bright, and easy to see even at a glance
(6). rotates 270 degrees and tilts from 0 to 90 degrees
(7). it feels nice in the hand. heavy but not bulky or overweighted. doesn't feel cheap, the hot shoe locking screw is secure but not too tight. there's no rattling or any sort of movement that's unwanted. stays securely on your hot shoe.
(8). HAS A SLAVE MODE. the slave is super sensitive and fires every time if you give it time to recharge (.1s for 1/164 and 5s for 1/1) and it even has a "slave 2 mode" that will fire only once your master and 1st slave have fired.
(9). CHEAP AS HELL
now for the negatives
(1). tilting the head from the horizontal to vertical position works like it should and clicks into the designated 45, 60, and 75 degree positions without a problem but when tilting it back from vertical to horizontally seems to get caught on something and takes more force and makes a different sound than the clicking that it should when changing the angle.
(2). the battery chamber has a problem. some brands of AA batteries work fine but others dont meet the contacts like they should. i tested the batteries and made sure they weren't just dead but there's just a problem with the way that batteries fit in the compartment. here's what i've found:
Energizer regular and rechargeable = works fine
Duracell = works fine
panasonic regular and rechargeable = will not work
i tried everything with the panasonic batteries. i switched the order of them, wiped off the leads and even scuffed them up a little with some sandpaper, i tried everything. panasonic batteries and this flash just dont like each other. sorry.
**if you've tested any other brands of normal or rechargeable batteries and can tell if they do or dont work please comment below to let others know.**
1818 comments| 487 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2017
Great for beginners in flash photography. I love manual flashes and so far it works beautifully. Compatible with my Canon rebel xti AND my rebel t6i. I have not used it enough to attest to how long batteries last during a full night of flash photos. Good quality, great to learn flash on, easy to use, powerful flash, and inexpensive. It is a bit heavy though- thats my only gripe which I am sure universally applies to most speedlights.
on August 6, 2016
For a manual flash and considering its price,this is a wonderful piece of flash.I compared it directly with the Yongnuo 560 IV and this flash beat it clearly,very consistent and even spread,unlike the Yongnuo.The power it pumps out is quite impressive too.
If there is an area it could take upgrade,then I will say they need to make it compatible to wireless control by supporting one of the various flash control flooded on the market that's the only thing that stopped me from using in my entire indoor set up .
For the money you can't go wrong with this flash.
on April 18, 2014
This is a good manual flash. I picked up five of these. They all work well with my Canon 6D, works with Phottix Strato II radio triggers, great for added flash. If you put these in Mode S1 they can be triggered by another flash going off. Kind of comes in handy that way. I had 4 of these hooked to radio triggers and one just on a stand with no radio receiver, put it in s1 mode and it still triggered. So you can still have this pretty far from your camera as long as it is close to another remote flash, if it see's the flash it goes off. It also has a PC input, so you could have have one on a hot shoe radio receiver and if your radio receiver has a PC Flash out run a wire over to it and fire two off one radio receiver if you didn't want to rely on the S1 flash trigger. So there are a few options for getting it to fire off camera.

It has a handy test flash button. This flash is the same size and basic shape as my Canon 580 EX II but does not have the Canon extra features; like no ETTL; no hi-speed sync, no first curtain and second curtain. It's just a basic manual single pin flash that works on camera or of, can be triggered from other flashes like Canon 580 EX II on your camera, just set the flash to S1, 3 modes; Manual S1 and S2.

MANUAL MODE is just a basic hot shoe mount triggered flash, or PC line triggered flash.
S1 MODE the flash will trigger when it sees another flash go off.
S2 MODE the flash will trigger on the second flash it see's, this is in case you want it to ignore your cameras pre-flash.

Manual Flash is great and some photographers prefer working with manual flash because they don't like how ETTL could put out more flash power than they want, they prefer to fine tune their light for their photos. If you work with these for a while you'll quickly get the hang of setting your power levels for even shadowless shots.

I give this flash a big thumbs up. Good value and a good build quality. I know other pro photographers using them.

They come with a plastic stand similar to the one that comes with the Canon 580 EX II, plus their stand has a standard Metz screw hole that will allow you to easily attach it to a stand if needed. It takes 4 AA batteries just like the Canon 580 EX II. Very easy push buttons that feel like they have a solid build and easy to read LED indicators for power level setting and mode and when flash has cycled and is recharged ready to go again.

Great for photographers just getting started into photography on a budget or pros. You can't beat the price. Granted they are not Canon 600EX-RTs, but you can buy 5 of these for under $200, the trade off is they are only manual flashes.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 11, 2016
I purchased this product to do both indoor and outdoor photo shoots with my Nikdon D5200. It has worked quite well for all of my needs. I purchased one for my grandmother as well, for her 80th Birthday, she loved it! When I told her I had purchased one for myself she said they are so very expensive. I explained to her that these are very affordable and are just as good as the high end expensive ones for our skill level.

The only cons I can find with this product is that the flash does not always trigger. One second it will and the second it will not, without even changing any settings or exposures. I have not been able to figure out why this is.

I highly suggest this product to others that are thinking about purchasing it! It is easy to use and worth what I spent on it.
on December 29, 2016
This is my first flash purchase so I can't really compare to anything but I'm really loving it so far. I bought it for my Olympus Pen E‑PL6 because the flash that came with the camera is basically useless for anything other than sunlight. The flash looks a bit large on my camera but it's cool because we're not in a camera fashion contest. It's definitely a bit top heavy but it's to be expected for a camera of this size. Really digging the rotating angles and ease of on/off. It was great for Christmas photos with the family and did a great job with the poor indoor lighting while also highlighting the tree behind the people. I'm really pleased with this flash and can't wait to try it with more settings.
on June 23, 2017
Very nice Flash perhaps it doesn't have TTL but if you are a beginner photographer this flash will allows you to learn how to adjust the instensity of the flash and the camera settings, Very nice for the price I covered a wedding and a social meeting with it and the results were better than expected. Using it as a slave isn't a problem just be careful that the sensor be correctly exposed to the light of the master. in general terms this is a great product for beginners and intermediate photographers, even advanced would find this as a useful and cheap solution to ilumination problems.
on July 7, 2017
Great price / great bargain for your DSLR. The Canon flash is 5x this cost - but if you are willing to live without auto adjusting - this will let you take GREAT pictures...

Note however - it Doesn't allow setup through the Canon Camera / screen.
on May 16, 2017
Works great as a slave! When I try to use it directly on my Nikon D80 it does not meter or work with the camera, but for the price that does not surprise me. I sit a few of them around the room when I am shooting portraits of my daughter. They work well for the price.