Industrial Deals Beauty Amazon First Reads Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Camila Cabello All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on December 20, 2011
***NOTE*** THIS IS A MANUAL FLASH...YOU CANNOT USE YOUR CANON CAMERA FLASH MENU TO CONTROL THE FLASH.

I must say, I didn't have high expectations for this flash. I checked some of the reviews and they were mixed, but reviews are a small part of the reason I make a purchase. The flash is pretty well built for the price range, and seems like it will last for a long time. The optical slave NEVER misses, and it's extremely sensitive even when it's turned in the opposite direction of the master flash. Even though I'm a professional Photographer...to me...Light is light no matter where it comes from. If your flash cost you $500...can I use this flash an create the same image?...You bet I can...How you use your equipment is more important than what equipment you have. Don't get me wrong though...more expensive pieces of equipment usually have more options and allow you certain freedoms, but ehhh...learn with the cheap stuff, and once you see your limits with this equipment...move on from there.

******************************************

Update!!!!: 9/11/2013

First of all (today is 9/11) my condolences to those who have lost loved ones as I did in the attacks)

It has been ALMOST 2 years since I've purchased 3 of these flashes, and they are still working PERFECTLY!!!
I'm not a fan of spending money on things that will breakdown in the future, and these flashes have been banged around and thrown all over the place yet they still continue to produce excellent light for my photography needs.

I usually use them for background, hair lights, and sometimes as a filler when it's needed and they have been great. The construction is solid, ease of use is key, optical slave is super sensitive and reliable. When you have good batteries in them...the recycle time is quick. I recommend VERY good rechargeable batteries (eneloop and powerex have never failed me).

******************************************
Update: 12/9/2013

I ordered another one today to use as another slave...the other 3 that I have are still working perfectly fine and I have never had a problem with them at all. for such a cheap product...it's pretty shocking that they last this long and contunue to fire on command in slave mode without a miss!!!! I might be getting 2 more of these for a total of 6...some of my light setups are very elaborate, and I've learned the distance to power ratio in my studio of these flashes and never need to meter tham...they add light just where I need it when I have a snoot on each one. PERFECT!!!
review imagereview imagereview image
5150+ comments| 1,486 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 7, 2013
positives:
(1). comes with a built in bounce card and wide angle diffuser (you dont even need this with anything narrower than 18mm)
(2). 8 steps of manual control in 1/8th stop increments (1/128, 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 1/1)
(3). has an auto overheat shutoff
(4). has a PC sync cord so it can be used with PC capable light meters and cameras.
(5). the controls are super simple, bright, and easy to see even at a glance
(6). rotates 270 degrees and tilts from 0 to 90 degrees
(7). it feels nice in the hand. heavy but not bulky or overweighted. doesn't feel cheap, the hot shoe locking screw is secure but not too tight. there's no rattling or any sort of movement that's unwanted. stays securely on your hot shoe.
(8). HAS A SLAVE MODE. the slave is super sensitive and fires every time if you give it time to recharge (.1s for 1/164 and 5s for 1/1) and it even has a "slave 2 mode" that will fire only once your master and 1st slave have fired.
(9). CHEAP AS HELL
now for the negatives
(1). tilting the head from the horizontal to vertical position works like it should and clicks into the designated 45, 60, and 75 degree positions without a problem but when tilting it back from vertical to horizontally seems to get caught on something and takes more force and makes a different sound than the clicking that it should when changing the angle.
(2). the battery chamber has a problem. some brands of AA batteries work fine but others dont meet the contacts like they should. i tested the batteries and made sure they weren't just dead but there's just a problem with the way that batteries fit in the compartment. here's what i've found:
Energizer regular and rechargeable = works fine
Duracell = works fine
panasonic regular and rechargeable = will not work
i tried everything with the panasonic batteries. i switched the order of them, wiped off the leads and even scuffed them up a little with some sandpaper, i tried everything. panasonic batteries and this flash just dont like each other. sorry.
**if you've tested any other brands of normal or rechargeable batteries and can tell if they do or dont work please comment below to let others know.**
1818 comments| 513 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 11, 2016
I purchased this product to do both indoor and outdoor photo shoots with my Nikdon D5200. It has worked quite well for all of my needs. I purchased one for my grandmother as well, for her 80th Birthday, she loved it! When I told her I had purchased one for myself she said they are so very expensive. I explained to her that these are very affordable and are just as good as the high end expensive ones for our skill level.

The only cons I can find with this product is that the flash does not always trigger. One second it will and the second it will not, without even changing any settings or exposures. I have not been able to figure out why this is.

I highly suggest this product to others that are thinking about purchasing it! It is easy to use and worth what I spent on it.
on December 29, 2016
This is my first flash purchase so I can't really compare to anything but I'm really loving it so far. I bought it for my Olympus Pen E‑PL6 because the flash that came with the camera is basically useless for anything other than sunlight. The flash looks a bit large on my camera but it's cool because we're not in a camera fashion contest. It's definitely a bit top heavy but it's to be expected for a camera of this size. Really digging the rotating angles and ease of on/off. It was great for Christmas photos with the family and did a great job with the poor indoor lighting while also highlighting the tree behind the people. I'm really pleased with this flash and can't wait to try it with more settings.
on November 17, 2017
A great value, especially if you're going to utilize one of the fantastic features-using multiple units as 'slaves' I purchased a set of two and ultimately another pair and they simply do what they're designed to do. Originally purchased to do some fill's on a large interior project, as supplementary lighting for the distant areas, the two slaves worked perfectly with the sync'd lighting systems I deployed. In addition, once I got the additional pair, it made the work so much better and the results were very pleasing to the client. Shipping was instant and got to me in advance of the project.
A winner at a great value
on January 9, 2018
Not even kidding this is our favorite flash. We’ve been letting photographers for over eight years and this gives such better light than my Nikon in a heartbeat! Seriously shoot it straight at the ceiling in the room with a ceiling and you will be blown away at HOW PRETTY IT IS. Works great for outdoors and tall ceilings too!!
on October 25, 2017
Great quality item, we hooked it up to my canon and are using it for beginner practice. I have several neweer products and I think they are great quality without the price tag and great if you are learning how to use camera equipment, or are on a budget.
on October 12, 2017
I ended up using this $40 manual flash more than my $200 TTL flash. Works well!! Definitely worth the money, love the included stand, and the 1/4" thread. Easy to use, I wish the levels had numbers but good for math skill improvements, i guess. I would pull the trigger no doubt, plastic build but feels sturdy.
on June 24, 2017
My biggest fear was shooting in broad daylight. I was intimated by shadows and knew nothing about lighting. I didn't have the time given the ideal of my sessions, to set up off camera flash. So I invested in a couple products. The middle right and bottom left are both created with ONLY this product. The bottom right is created with this product AND a flash diffuser made by the same company. I highly recommend this product to someone in the same position as me. It's half the price of other speedlites and works flawlessly.
review image
on October 14, 2016
Definitely not quite as fancy as the Yongnuo YN560 iii I bought at the same time, but works well. Perhaps a little less bright, but I'm shooting manual only, so I've had no problems with that. I don't particularly like the LCD and delay to turn on and off with the Yongnuo, though I would like a little more power from the TT560. Overall, I think I like the TT560s better, just because of the more intuitive mechanical interface on the back. The price difference between the two wasn't a big deal for me, but was a plus for the TT560. There's no zoom on this one, which was the main reason I got a single YN560 iii. I do have occasional use for zoom.