Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 378 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 543 reviews
on September 4, 2014
When I was a child, one of my favorite things to do was to pop in a cassette tape and just soak in the music, letting my imagination come up with scenarios to fit the music. (Does that date me or what?) While many of these tapes were children's songs, I was also able to get my hands on a lot of my parents' music, and so developed an appreciation for many kinds of music. One of my favorite tapes was the soundtrack to Neil Diamond's "The Jazz Singer," and while I hadn't seen the movie it comes from, I fell in love with the songs and listened to them so many times that I committed many of them to memory... and ended up breaking the tape. Sorry, Mom...

Now, as an adult, I've seen the movie, and have to admit that the best part of it is the songs... but they're great songs, and it'll be wonderful to have them in a CD format, where they'll hopefully last longer.

By far the three most popular songs from this album seem to be "America," "Hello Again," and "Love On the Rocks." Each has proven to be a big hit outside of the film that originated them, and I must admit that they're three of my favorite songs from the album. "America" is an enthusiastic and patriotic number, "Hello Again" an easy-going and uplifting song about missing a loved one and hoping to be reunited with them, and "Love On the Rocks" is a melancholy but beautiful ballad.

There are other great songs on this album aside from those three, however, and all are worth a listen. "Robert E. Lee" is a playful, folksy tune, and "Songs of Life" is a slow but lovely ballad, while "Amazed and Confused," "Hey Louise," and "Jerusalem" are upbeat and energetic numbers. "You Baby" is another upbeat number, but it ends on a chaotic note, seeing as the song ends with a raging barfight in the film itself. The other pop numbers -- "Summerlove," "Acapulco," and the reprise of "America" -- are okay but forgettable, and the traditional Jewish numbers -- "Adon Olom" and "Kol Nidre/My Name is Yussel" -- make more sense when heard in the context of the film but sound rather jarring amid the rest of the pop numbers.

All in all, though, this is a great album, especially if you're a Diamond fan, and arguably the best part of the movie.
on March 19, 2013
The quality was very poor. It's not worth my while to return it but I would say to Amazon "Please do not sell poor quality products because in the long run people like me will not trust you" I would have preferred that non english subtitles be indicated as part of the product content. I found it extremely annoying to view incessantly non english subtitles that almost occupy half of the screen. This dvd does not deserve a star at all cause its too dark and hazy at the same time - I honestly thought I was afflicted with instant glaucoma. I am fan of Neil Diamond and I wanted to see the movie as it is the only movie he had made as an actor. I would preferred to have this dvd exchanged to a better quality one if that is possible.
on October 28, 2016
Great movie!! A real Classic!!!
on April 5, 2017
I have about 4 copies of this. One for work, 2 cars and for home! Love all things ND
on August 6, 2016
Loved it, truly a classic!!! If you grew up in the 70's and like Neal Diamond and Lucy Arnez and never watched this movie, I feel you are missing out on something !!!
on August 10, 2017
love it great picture clear sound
on July 20, 2017
love the movie, no regrats
on September 1, 2017
Great c.d.
on June 8, 2015
I love the movie but the quality of the video is not the best. It skipped in places and I thought it was a little grainy. I'm considering returning it but haven't decided whether I can live with the occasional skips here and there throughout the movie.
on December 31, 2016
I thought for that price, the DVD would be cleaned. packaging ok. Love the movie