Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

Showing 1-10 of 113 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 125 reviews
on January 13, 2015
Great unit - high build quality, excellent specs. On the initial setup screen when you first power on the unit, you can choose the Mixin Metro launcher or a regular Android launcher. I choose the Android launcher, which looks identical to my Galaxy S5 smartphone screens. I love that I could choose such a familiar and comfortable interface for this Minix box. I added a bunch of stuff from the Google Play Store (gmail, google calendar, contacts list, Google search, Chrome browser, YouTube, etc) - it is like having a PC or cell phone with a giant 60" screen.

BE AWARE: This is the 2nd Minix Neo x8-H box I have purchased from Amazon in the last month. Both were advertised to include an Air Mouse remote (item title said "WITH NEO M1 Airmouse included by MINIX US"). However, neither unit arrived with the advertised Air Mouse. To control the Minix I ended up buying a Logitech K400r wireless keyboard with touchpad - this works GREAT, and the full-size keyboard makes it so easy to enter search text, do email, etc. That keyboard is only about $20 on Amazon... an excellent deal!
Overall the unit was good but just not as polished as I'd like, at least on the user interface aspect. The 4K works good and definitely worth it if you really need the high performance for the 4K.

For me there's just not enough content to justify keeping this. The Remote is HORRIBLE, it barely gets reception from 4ft away. After days of use with this I gave up, for the price I expected a bit more at least for the remote. If you do purchase this, make sure you get a different remote because the stock is a cheap, flimsy pos that can barely do basic functions. When it does manage work, it lags a ton. Make sure you have an android device ready to sub as your permanent remote.
on October 7, 2017
Three definite problems:
1. Most keyboards that are supposed to work with it do not always work correctly.
2. You will not be able to play Amazon instant video (some claim that you can, and there may be round-about ways of doing it, but not out of the box)
3. HBO GO will skip badly. I have Google Fiber and can stream HBO GO on any other device in my house, but on this it buffers, skips and freezes.

I would NOT purchase this device again.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 10, 2015
Nice android console. Have given one to my mom to replace her PC which is old news now with these type of devices.

The nvidia shield TV has 4 times the performance and only $50 more. I have retired this device to the living room for the Shield TV which I use as my primary android device now.
22 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 27, 2015
First media center that actually works flawlessly. Its Android integration with other streaming services is just what any cablecutter dreams of. A++
on February 17, 2015
product seems pretty great, had to manually update to latest version of firmware, which was a bit technical, but once completed it appears to have ability to self update in the future. overall it's a great device and seems to run well.

xbmc is tricky to configure and was not preconfigured at all, I am not sure what tweaks have been done on the version that was preinstalled but it didn't seem to be anything special so I don't understand what the advantage is to having it preloaded. This is a version back from the current stable kodi version, not sure what the advantage is to staying on that version.
on February 24, 2015
Coming from the Matricom MX2 I was fed up with the bugs and lack of stable firmware. The specs should have been just fine for all things Android media but I am so glad for this Minix Neo. Booting takes a few minutes but standby mode is instant from the airmouse remote or power button on the box. This thing is so silent and low-power that I keep it on all day anyway. The processor speed is immediately apparent at how fast Kodi loads and switches between screens. I am using the Gig Ethernet and that is giving me full 55MB/s download and 18MB/s upload from my provider. This helps with minimizing buffering. This box removes that worry and forces me to find another source for the show/movie not check my connections.

The default out of the box skin is intuitive enough but I just stay in Kodi/XBMC land which this is ideal for. The air mouse is great although I highly recommend the Android Google TV app which gives touchpad, keyboard and all functions on the phone. This system is works well streaming from my NAS box and it even plays 4K on my 1080p display at exquisite quality and full speed. Miracast works seemlessly. Emulators work but the bluetooth syncing of controllers provides still too much lag to be the definitive platform.

I recommend this plus edition for the future proofing LAN, processor, discrete graphics, 2GB of RAM. The community forums are developing enhancements for this so I am confident this will be my cord cutting solution for quite awhile.
on March 5, 2015
Primarily use it to stream online movies and TV with XBMC/Kodi. Very satisfied with it's playback. I found it was an easy setup. I have a computer in another room running an OTA TV tuner recording shows with WMC. I use Kodi as a media extender for WMC. The X8H Plus will stream uncompressed WMC recordings over Wireless without any problems. I couldn't do this with my OUYA I once used. I used to have to convert any 1080p recordings before I could stream them to my player. The only down fall is its weak controller. I was able to get through the setup by downloading the Google TV remote and XBMCs remote for the iPhone. I'll probably buy the Minix A2 or the Minix M1 remote. If you are looking for a Media streaming box I highly recommend this one. Other boxes may have Arm's S812 chip but those boxes are worthless without gigabit ethernet and AC wireless. This box has them all. I gave it 4 Stars only because of its remote. I believe the M1 should come as it's default included remote. It took an extra 2 days to arrive than expected but for some reason I read that's the norm. This even despite Amazon fulfilling the orders.
on April 12, 2017
This device worked a total of viewing one movie and a basketball game. you better be very tech savvy to purchase this! Mistake is on me. If you have a limited comfort level with tech devices avoid this item. It took me over 30 days just to find someone with a comfort level to help me finish the installation. Lots of programing! As in stuff to watch, Too bad I wasted $141.00 for 2 days of "enjoyment"!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 10, 2015
I absolutely love the unit, but that remote is just terrible. For as much as this unit cost they could give you a better functioning remote. In order to use this android box set, you've got to go and get an air mouse.