Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 45 reviews
on April 12, 2013
When I received my nerdkit i was pretty excited. I knowingly paid too much for it because of all the good reviews about the forums support on the site and the pdf intro book. When I opened the package however, I proceeded to the site, registered, and downloaded the manual. I read all the intro educational stuff, and finally arrived at the first project, a temperature monitor. I was immediately disappointed to find out I was missing the crystal oscillator and temperature sensor needed to build the project. After finding a list of parts on their website, I learned that I was also missing a red LED, and had received an extra battery clip. I emailed their support on the site, and after several days of delay got a reply asking me to double check that I wasn't mistaking the temp sensor for a mosfet, and that the crystal really was missing. I double checked and sent him the picture that I posted in customer images showing what parts I did receive. He assured me that it was a fluke and that it almost never happens, and would have the missing parts shipped to me free of charge immediately. I received my replacement part package today, it included 4 red LEDs, a temperature sensor, and a voltage regulator. so now I have 5 red LEDs, two voltage regulators, and two battery clips, but still no crystal oscillator, so I still can't do anything with it. Also, the website has been down for some time now, so as of this writing there isn't even any support. I would pass on this and either buy the parts individually, or go with an arduino or some other AVR kit.
review image review image
on February 21, 2012
The main reason I went for this kit is because it is FOSS friendly: i.e., I can do the coding, compiling, and downloading from Linux without having to install any closed-source proprietary binaries or Java-based IDEs. The compiling is done with avr-gcc, the downloading is done with avrdude, and the communication is through Serial-to-USB drivers which are in the mainline kernel.

As far as the kit itself, most of the parts you could get yourself at Radio Shack, but of course it's really nice as a beginner to have them all put together in a kit. The coolest component, aside from the micro-controller, is the snazzy LCD screen. Also, the PDF is very helpful and guides you step by step through each project.

My only minor complaint is that the wires are really small and weak on the battery connectors, and easily fall out of the board. I eventually had to solder stronger wires on to make them practical to use.

One last thing you should be aware of: the micro-controller comes with a custom-made boot loader, preloaded by the nerdkits team. This makes it easier to get started, but to really program the device from the ground up (installing all your own firmware) you'll eventually need to buy an additional programming device, separate from the USB cable that was included. (I think that is pretty much how it is with all micro-controllers.)
on September 10, 2012
Nerdkit is hardly a toy. It is a very in-depth, hands-on education on how modern electronics works, and how to use the basic building blocks. THIS IS A DIFFICULT AND COMPREHENSIVE educational opportunity. DON'T GET IT UNLESS YOU ARE BURNING WITH DESIRE about how to design and build electronic gadgets. You are also pushed in the deep end with computer programming, using the C language. The Nerdkit comes with a complete software development environment. DO YOU WANT TO LEARN ROBOTICS?? THEN START HERE, and be prepared to work hard at getting a real foundation that you can build on. I enjoyed the experience a great deal - and I'm using my Nerdkit as the basis for a real-world project.
on February 11, 2010
I purchased the NerdKit back in December. This kit has been a very helpful tutorial in the world of microcontrollers. Everything I needed to get started was included in the kit, and the step by step instructions given by the NerdKit staff was just great. If you are thinking about getting into microcontrollers as part of a hobby or practice for an engineering major, this kit could help a lot. I think I need to stress that you are not just paying for electronic components, but for the expert tutorial and help that the NerdKit staff can offer. I recommend this.
on May 11, 2011
I waited patiently for my kit to arrive (had it shipped overseas) and was pleasantly surprised when it came sooner than expected. I immediately downloaded the NerdKit guide, c compiler, and had the temperature project up the first night. The guide gives enough information to spark an interest to learn - taking care of many of the initial hardships that would normally cause frustrations, but still allowing you to delve into learning on your own. There are plenty of code samples and projects to learn from, each with new concepts.
Overall, its an awesome kit and I plan to buy more as gifts for family.
on July 4, 2009
These guys are great, I love the how they keep updating their news letter with great new uses for the their kits. As one who studied electrical engineering it's really good to see the material studied in a classroom put to practical use. And i don't just mean the programming, they just sent their latest email and they did a good job on relating transfer functions and derivative to real world applications. Highly recommend this for the hobbyist as well as the aspiring engineer!!!
on April 16, 2013
I think I ordered this at the worst possible time. I did quite a bit of research and believed the reviews on this product, but following my order the Nerdkits website went down. I've emailed them twice and received no reply. Now I'm stuck filing a claim with Amazon hoping for the return of my discover cash back. Moving on to Arduino. I suggest looking elsewhere as well.
on July 4, 2009
I'd been meaning to get my feet wet with both electronics and embedded development. The NerdKits USB Microcontroller starter kit is great in that it gives you a little bit of everything from the electronics standpoint AND comes with a C compiler, which, being a mainstream language, makes development much easier(the fact that you can upload code via USB is just icing on the cake)! Product support is fantastic as well since the NerdKits website is full of example projects and code. If you're looking to get started, start here.
on December 14, 2016
This sounded like a great way to learn about basic electronics. I just never used it.
on January 5, 2012
I have a lab full of eval kits and test gear. It was very nice that this kit was completely self contained which means I did not have to disturb anything else to put this kit to work educating me on this series of MCU's. I have a design firm that designs sophisticated systems for ultra high end imaging. It is nice to find something that is easy for once!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.