Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Vortex Proton
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on October 5, 2011
Between my kids and I, we have all of the vortex blasters. I have been a fan of nerf guns since I was little, and am impressed with this new line. They are durable, shoot far, and accurately. The disk does have a bit of 'zing' to it; you will feel it if it hits you, especially at close range, but this is the trade-off for longer range. They also ricochet, off of almost everything! The neat side to this, is that you can now try to bounce shots off walls, etc. The downside, is that the little discs end up in the darndest places... This is my 2 year old's favourite nerf gun! (and one of the few he can operate without help loading, etc) it has the range of the other vortex blasters, no jams, unless you try and cram two discs into the tray. A bit slow to reload, but no more so than the nerf single shot dart style blasters. This is my second-favourite blaster as well (second to the praxis)
on August 3, 2012
My son absolutely loves Nerf! He collects all types of Nerf and he knows all about them. This is a video review that he did on the Vortex series by Nerf. He goes over each weapon and tells you a little bit about them.

Hope this helps you out!
44 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2011
The MSRP of this gun is $9.99, which is the price at Walmart. This gun is amazing, discs shoot much farther than darts in the regular guns, and can bounce off of walls without losing much momentum, meaning that there is finally a nerf gun that can shoot around corners, if one knows geometry. I recommend also buying extra ammo, it only comes with 3 discs and they are easy to lose.
on September 21, 2011
This gun looks pretty cool kind of reminds me of something from the video game borderlands. It's pretty accurate and the shots are fairly strong. The disc ammo can shoot up or down at times but it's pretty much a mini frisbee tosser, frisbees kinda do that. I would have given this 5 stars if it held more than one disc at a time or maybe even if it had some place to hold the disc's other than in your free hand or pocket. Still a really great toy to play with. Oh and I think the disc ammo is actually easier to loose than the darts but that's not really nerf's fault.
on May 16, 2013
This nerf gun might be one of the best nerf guns ever...
Unmodded it shoots fairly well, but modded it works much better.
I can get my modded gun to shoot over 100' and dent cans from about 25'. It has exceeded my expectations immensely.
About ten were bought for a 11 year olds birthday (last year) and all the boys loved them. It worked as very enjoyable game and a gift to take home from the party. This gun has held up very well even though it has been through many nerf wars and shooting matches.

Pros
Long range
Good price
hard hitting
easy to load
fast to cock
durable dart

cons
complicated to mod
no magazine
shoots too hard to shoot unarmed/unexpecting people
review image
77 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2013
My kids like this gun so much that they've begun to request that I purchase it as a gift for their friends' birthdays. It's nice to have the little green discs flying all over for a change instead of the foam darts that we're so sick of finding behind the couch, in the couch, under the couch, and wherever else.

Watch out, though - this sucker will HURT if you're shot point blank or at a close range.
on December 27, 2012
I bought this as a gift for an 8 year old on my list who I only see a few times a year. I didn't know what to get for him, so I did a general search for kids' toys in his age range, and this came up. I also bought the glow in the dark disks for him to use outside. He absolutely loved this gift and didn't put it down the whole time we saw him! His dad showed him how to shoot the disks off the wall to hit a target with a ricochet, and he thought that was really cool too. The disks are soft and don't hurt, so it's a safe toy for inside use as well as outside. Overall, great buy.
on December 3, 2012
So hands down this is one of the best disc launchers for the price, it performs really well, and is relatively compact considering its width. It is just like the nitefinder in comparison to the other dart guns, its cheap yet highly effective, polus its loading tray spring back into place making it have a really cool reload action.
My only complaint is that it doesn't last all that long. It wore out after a few months of.. well, really hard use. I guess I can't complain for the price. I've since upgraded though so I don't need a replacement!
on December 25, 2011
The new line of Vortex Nerf guns are substantially better than the older dart-based models. The disks fly further, more accurately and are more sturdy with their plastic interior. The Proton specifically is a single shot gun that comes with three disks. To load you slide back the tray, insert a disk, then fire. The kids in our household have no trouble operating the gun. I actually find that the Proton shoots "harder" than the electric models. For the price, the Proton makes a nice companion to the larger Vortex guns. I'd call it a definite win when looking for birthday presents for kids in the 6-10 range.
on September 11, 2011
This gun is great overall. It is basically an improved nite-finder. It is very robust, and durable. It has great range, and rarely ever malfunctions or jams.